Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    25 over match for my son in the U-13 Brian Taylor trophy for South Loughton against Saffron Walden and I was scoring .

Controversy at the end as we chased their total ,136 , needing 11 off the last over .
    (It’s a league format and whoever lost would prolly struggle to get through to the 1/4 final knockout stage )

The last over went : wide , single , 3 , 4 , single , (scores level) wicket at which point the oppo kids were all celebrating crazily

With the scores level and one ball left the umpires began to leave the field having both miscounted and not included the extra ball for the wide .

Myself and their scorer had counted it down and all their parents and ours and team all knew there was one ball left .

Their umpire was adamant he was right , our umpire talked us through the over and realised he miscalculated .

No one wanted to give in but eventually after about ten mins the oppo agreed and reluctantly the last ball was bowled which we hit for 4 and no one was really happy (well our kids were)

I can see both points of view but if it was the other way round I’d have insisted the last ball be bowled because a 5 ball last over isn’t right .

Having looked further in to it umpires call for miscounting an over stands and maybe we shouldn’t have had the last ball .

Still the rules also state any deliver down leg side should be a wide providing batsmen hasn’t backed way down leg and their umpire failed to do this on a number of occasions so ner ner ner ner ner
  • Options
    All a bit odd , how can two umpired agree that it was a five ball over?

You won!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    They both had counted the 6 and made the same mistake and the oppo didn’t really wanna play the last ball out !
    The umpires thought it was a legit 6 ball over
  • Options
    If the umpires miscount and call over or time then you cannot bowl another ball even if they have miscounted within the laws. However sometimes common sense has to prevail.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

If the umpires miscount and call over or time then you cannot bowl another ball even if they have miscounted within the laws. However sometimes common sense has to prevail.

Correct.
  • Options
    Another high scoring draw in the Sussex league div 3 east

Won the toss and batted getting

318-6 off 50 and declaring

4 batsmen reached 50

Easy Grinstead said they were going to give it a go and duly did but fell short reaching 283-8 blocking the last 2 overs for the draw

Got 10 before colliding with our other batsmen and being run out chasing a 3 and took 4-46 off 11 more my best figures in the league
  • Options
    In other news, Chris "TFC" Lewis did not bowl and got a first-baller on Saturday for the Roebucks! Hah.

Littlebourne didn't actually have Byron Gould causing the most damage - his 56 off 33 eclipsed by their number 9's 80 off 32!!!

And our 1C Met/West Division looks to have turned into a right old contest - just nine points separating the top four. If Bexley beat Cyphers, CUACO beat Natwest, and Orpington beat Wilsonians, there will be a lot of teams in and around 90 points just before the halfway stage.

Of course, I've not taken into account the final game from this Saturday not on the website, but that just makes things even squeakier.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Leuth said:

Am I right in thinking that you can't have a boundary six in extras and that it's always four?

One cannot score a boundary six in byes – nor in leg byes, wides or no-balls; a boundary six can only be scored if the ball has made contact with the bat or the hands or gloves holding it.
    Pedro45 said:

Riviera said:

Correct.
    although i think you can still appeal for anything that happened off the last ball of that over until the bowler starts his run up for the next over @Pedro45 will confirm but no looking it up Pedro
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Pedro45 said:

Leuth said:

Am I right in thinking that you can't have a boundary six in extras and that it's always four?

One cannot score a boundary six in byes – nor in leg byes, wides or no-balls; a boundary six can only be scored if the ball has made contact with the bat or the hands or gloves holding it.
    Pedro45 said:

Riviera said:

Correct.
    although i think you can still appeal for anything that happened off the last ball of that over until the bowler starts his run up for the next over @Pedro45 will confirm but no looking it up Pedro
    Not once "over" has been called.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

lolwray said:

Pedro45 said:

Leuth said:

Pedro45 said:

Riviera said:

Correct.
    Yes, that's right. It is so rare these days that an appeal comes late; it's normal that everyone (or at least someone) will appeal for everything that has even the vaguest chance of being out. At least the Laws have changed now to prevent excessive appealing, but it still grates when the ball hits the pad and the only appeal comes from square leg or cover point...
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Riviera said:

lolwray said:

Pedro45 said:

Leuth said:

Pedro45 said:

Riviera said:

Correct.
    Yes, that's right. It is so rare these days that an appeal comes late; it's normal that everyone (or at least someone) will appeal for everything that has even the vaguest chance of being out. At least the Laws have changed now to prevent excessive appealing, but it still grates when the ball hits the pad and the only appeal comes from square leg or cover point...
    hang your head in shame @Pedro see Law 31.3 ..expected it from @Riviera
  • Options
    Sorry, yes, was considering it with respect the end of the game (where Time is called rather than Over, or both). My bad.

Nobody cares what umpires do these days anyway - my colleague on Saturday was obviously not in as good place to call a no ball (rear foot touching return crease) as the fielding team skipper at mid-off. Not his fault that the batter (the overseas, who eventually got 90) chipped it to the mid-wicket fielder so it wasn't out... Not my fault for calling a no ball either when too many fielders were outside the fielding circle, resulting in another free hit, but we still get somehow blamed for it! We gave three run outs on Saturday between us - all caused by either lazy batting (by the skipper too!) or suicidal running, yet each one looked at us as if we were the problem, not their calling!

My final gripe - After a wicket fell I ushered one celebrating player to run to the other side of the wicket by the stumps and not across the protected area. He said "I've only got trainers on" and I replied "I don't care". He then replies "Don't talk to me like that!" So I didn't. I told the captain that if any other player stepped on the protected area I would award 5 penalty runs against them. That stopped it!
  • Options
    Found out Saffron Walden appealed the Result and it got over turned and a tie was declared !!

Pretty gutting for our kids and the oppo know that it was a 5 ball over but we all have different moral compasses and I know I would not have wanted us to tie off a 5 ball over us each to their own .

Our management aren’t going to appeal it and will reluctantly accept the decision.

Looking forward to my failed attempts not to make sarcastic comments in the next fixture against them , come on be the better person aaaaaah !!
  • Options
    FFS. Where are the updates?
  • Options
    I've been at home all day, cleaning the kitchen, watching football and arguing about politics. No 4s game and not picked for the 3s. My talents, gone to waste
  • Options
    I mean, not my kitchen-cleaning, football-watching or political-arguing talents, which should be plain for all to see ;)
  • Options
    Our 1s got rolled for 97 and Tonbridge did it 1 down.

Our 2s were all out for 170ish and their opportunity (forget who) did it 4 down - one bloke tanned up.

Our 3s got Sidcup 3s all out for 82 or something, and won by eight wickets!

Our 4s were undefeated this week :wink:

------------------------------------

Might be a struggle to get a side out for the 4th team this week, though - such is our place at the bottom of the club. Here's hoping I don't have to concede.
  • Options
    We're going in with eight if we have to. I've only bowled two overs in the last three weeks ffs
  • Options
    There are only six points(!!!) between 2nd and 7th in the 1C Met/West. Just before the halfway stage and this is what we're looking at! http://krcl.play-cricket.com/website/websites/view_division?id=77286
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played as a ringer in a dads v teachers match at Forest school , they (the teachers) had some decent players and we got 178 in our 25 overs and I retired hurt (hamstring) on 37 not out after hitting 3 consecutive fours as I pushed off something went and being an old git I couldn’t continue so give someone else a go.
    School teachers had a former Devon player who was tastey and he got a quick 50 and retired and they got to our score comfortably with 2 overs and 5 wickets in hand .
    I couldn’t bowl Cos of injury
  • Options
    Did anyone see this result on Saturday
    Staplehurst CC - 1st XI
    435 for 1 (50 overs) 'b' 't'
    Dartfordians CC - 1st XI
    84 for 10 (24.1 overs)

That looks painful
  • Options
    Having spent two days solid watching the boy play I am somewhat "over cooked" today.

On Saturday, the 2s won by 25 runs. We scored 272-5 and Holmesdale were in with a real shout up until the last half a dozen overs or so. The usual "DNB" for Seb. Still in 2nd place.

On Sunday morning, the U15s remained undefeated and set 200 against Hayes with Seb retiring on getting his 50. We won by 126 runs and as he wasn't keeping Seb elected to bring himself on to "buy" the final wicket with his somewhat "filthy" leggies.

In the afternoon we had a Development game against OD CUADO. Opposition set 223 and we fell 40 short - Seb "smoking" a wide full toss straight to backward point for 3 really didn't help the cause.

The real highlight of the weekend, however, came in the Hayes game and that was seeing how emotional one Seb's friends was when reaching his 50. He had never achieved that milestone in school or club cricket and it was absolutely fantastic to see him do so. May he go on to scoring many more.
  • Options
    52 from 31 balls is very good going from Seb, well done to him. Nice story about his friend too.

Also a couple of familiar names from the 5th XI match a few weeks ago. I was impressed with Max’s off spin when I umpired at his end - gives the ball a real rip. If anything, the ball was always doing too much to hit the stumps. Batted nicely too.
  • Options

Staplehurst CC - 1st XI
    Dartfordians CC - 1st XI
    84 for 10 (24.1 overs)

That looks painful

Bloody hell. I think I recognise a few of those names from the ill-fated 3rd XI that was withdrawn from my 4th XI's division - looks like a huge period of turmoil at Dartfordians.

A shame that Staplehurst didn't appear to recognise what was going on (as I am sure most relatively decent cricketers/those with common sense would have gathered), but oh well. Not quite as punishing as Littlebourne...
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Staplehurst CC - 1st XI
    Dartfordians CC - 1st XI
    84 for 10 (24.1 overs)

That looks painful

Bloody hell. I think I recognise a few of those names from the ill-fated 3rd XI that was withdrawn from my 4th XI's division - looks like a huge period of turmoil at Dartfordians.

A shame that Staplehurst didn't appear to recognise what was going on (as I am sure most relatively decent cricketers/those with common sense would have gathered), but oh well. Not quite as punishing as Littlebourne...

Looks like they have lost a hell of lot of players.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Staplehurst CC - 1st XI
    Dartfordians CC - 1st XI
    84 for 10 (24.1 overs)

That looks painful

That's in my club's division. Bear in mind dartfordians beat Chisles by over 200 runs in the 1st game of the season!
  • Options
    Ah, the weird and wonderful world of the Kent Regional Cricket League Division 1C Met/West, following the upload of all results:

http://krcl.play-cricket.com/website/websites/view_division?id=77286

2nd to 8th - that is, a promotion and a relegation spot! - are separated by a point per position, from 95 for Holmesdale in 2nd to 89 for OD CUACO in 8th!

Slightly miffed quite how Colfeians, having won four, are a point behind Cyphers, who have won two (albeit with a game in hand), but such are the vagaries of the KRCL points system.

Corking season so far though!
  • Options
    Its amazing that a side can be 4th with 2 wins and 5 losses!
  • Options
    Our league this year is played over 2 different formats, first 4 games of the season were 40/40 win/lose cricket, then the next 9 are 47/43 win/lose/draw cricket. We then finish the season with 5 more 40/40 win/lose games.... Ruddy bizarre!