Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options

Riviera said:

AshBurton said:

This Sunday I will be making my annual guest appearance for “The Invalids” CC (mainly because a workmate is their match manager for the fixture against his local club, Castle Hill, in Brenchley).

This is real old fashioned Sunday cricket, nice leisurely 2.30 start, none of this set number of overs nonsense (well, maybe last 20 overs from 6pm), scrumptious tea, all amid a lovely setting in the Kent countryside. One for the traditionalists, maybe even @Riviera.

I believe The Invalids were founded near the end of World War 1 - quite literally an idea hatched by wounded servicemen recovering together in hospital that they form a team and play together after they recover. Today they are a wandering side who have a rule that they will only play at grounds located outside the M25 (that bit may be made up).

These days the side is well stocked with colourful characters, in particular members of the acting and theatre professions (plus the odd accountant to keep order). Last year I had the honour of batting with Richard Durden, who recently played Jan Smuts in Churchill. Unfortunately this was only for a short time as I ran him out after a couple of overs. He wasn’t best pleased.

Sounds idyllic.

My favourite fixture was always our Sunday 2's away game V Ightham. Lunch in the George and Dragon and couple of pints of Fremlins. 2.30 start, we'd always bat first get 220 and declare around 4.30 then bowl them out for about 100. Beautiful postage stamp of a ground with a backdrop over the Weald, the view was to die for. Only downside was that they insisted on going to a really crap pub after the game where they had a cask of ale on the bar which was always warm and flat. We used to get away as quick as was politely acceptable and shoot back to the Beehive asap.
    Jesus Christ, must have been a bloody shocking pub if you couldn’t wait to get back to The Beehive!
    We are probably talking about 25 years ago plus to be fair.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

Am sure Min was a pace bowler at school.

He joined my club as a 14 year old around 1984 and only ever bowled SLA.
    SLA!
    CMJ would be spinning (rate to be confirmed by the Rev counter cam) in his grave.
    PaddyP17 said:

Oh man, some nasty stuff from the weekend is being followed up on. Our 3s game vs Swanscombe and Greenhithe was ill-tempered at best, and our 3s skipper is probably reporting them to the league.

Not the nicest bunch. Apparently after they hit a six and the ball was irretrievable, and our lot asked for a spare ball with three balls left in the innings, they said "come and find one your f**king selves", out of absolutely nowhere. Interesting.

Must be a huge change in the way they used to play.
    Never played them in league cricket but in the late 80s it was probably our oldest Sunday fixture when I played for LBGreenwich.
    A competitive friendly played in a good spirit and great social after the matches both home and away.
  • Options

Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

SLA!
    CMJ would be spinning (rate to be confirmed by the Rev counter cam) in his grave.
    PaddyP17 said:

Oh man, some nasty stuff from the weekend is being followed up on. Our 3s game vs Swanscombe and Greenhithe was ill-tempered at best, and our 3s skipper is probably reporting them to the league.

Not the nicest bunch. Apparently after they hit a six and the ball was irretrievable, and our lot asked for a spare ball with three balls left in the innings, they said "come and find one your f**king selves", out of absolutely nowhere. Interesting.

Never played them in league cricket but in the late 80s it was probably our oldest Sunday fixture when I played for LBGreenwich.
    A competitive friendly played in a good spirit and great social after the matches both home and away.
    Do you remember the S&G captain back then who used to go out with the laws of the game in his top pocket...always quoting from them if anyone gave him out LBW!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    m">
    MrOneLung said:

He still has a faster ball. It's just not as fast as it once was.

That said, he is incredibly fit for his age but holds no prisoners when it comes to coaching - it's "sink or swim" and if he thinks a kid doesn't fancy facing bouncers from his "slinger" (which he actually bowls rather than throws to get more speed and bounce) then he will just target them even more!

Heavily involved with Mayfield cricket club down here aswell, We “Hastings 2nds” have gone joint top of the league with Portslade 1sts after our 3rd win on the bounce, onto Burgess Hill 1sts Saturday at home.

talking of picturesque grounds Mayfield CC is lovely ,the setting at Horntye is pretty decent too
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Pedro45 said:

Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

SLA!
    PaddyP17 said:

Do you remember the S&G captain back then who used to go out with the laws of the game in his top pocket...always quoting from them if anyone gave him out LBW!
    Cant say I do.
    The only names I vaguely recall is a bowler who’s surname is Prosser and Alan Sayward (I think) who used to bat at 3 or 4.
  • Options

Riviera said:

AshBurton said:

This Sunday I will be making my annual guest appearance for “The Invalids” CC (mainly because a workmate is their match manager for the fixture against his local club, Castle Hill, in Brenchley).

This is real old fashioned Sunday cricket, nice leisurely 2.30 start, none of this set number of overs nonsense (well, maybe last 20 overs from 6pm), scrumptious tea, all amid a lovely setting in the Kent countryside. One for the traditionalists, maybe even @Riviera.

I believe The Invalids were founded near the end of World War 1 - quite literally an idea hatched by wounded servicemen recovering together in hospital that they form a team and play together after they recover. Today they are a wandering side who have a rule that they will only play at grounds located outside the M25 (that bit may be made up).

These days the side is well stocked with colourful characters, in particular members of the acting and theatre professions (plus the odd accountant to keep order). Last year I had the honour of batting with Richard Durden, who recently played Jan Smuts in Churchill. Unfortunately this was only for a short time as I ran him out after a couple of overs. He wasn’t best pleased.

Sounds idyllic.

My favourite fixture was always our Sunday 2's away game V Ightham. Lunch in the George and Dragon and couple of pints of Fremlins. 2.30 start, we'd always bat first get 220 and declare around 4.30 then bowl them out for about 100. Beautiful postage stamp of a ground with a backdrop over the Weald, the view was to die for. Only downside was that they insisted on going to a really crap pub after the game where they had a cask of ale on the bar which was always warm and flat. We used to get away as quick as was politely acceptable and shoot back to the Beehive asap.
    Jesus Christ, must have been a bloody shocking pub if you couldn’t wait to get back to The Beehive!
    I'm talking 30 years ago when the Beehive was a great boozer with great beer.
  • Options

Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

SLA!
    PaddyP17 said:

Just for you information SLA has always been used as the abbreviation for slow left arm. You write it but don't actually say it, like Xmas.
    Check out the Playfair Cricket Annual, if it's still published. I've got plenty of old copies if you need one.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

SLA!
    PaddyP17 said:

Just for you information SLA has always been used as the abbreviation for slow left arm. You write it but don't actually say it, like Xmas.
    Check out the Playfair Cricket Annual, if it's still published. I've got plenty of old copies if you need one.
    i was shuffling through a 1957 Playfair last night and sure enough SLA was there ..unfortunately it also stands for "Service level agreement" in modern day speak
  • Options
    Played my first game of cricket last week for over 2 years, we were playing an inter rugby club match which meant the standard was very hit and miss (literally). Thoroughly enjoyed it and makes me think why I ever stopped playing. 2 wickets and a decent 15 until I chased a wide one off and was caught at point. Had to be retired at 25 anyway so wasn't the end of the world. Used to play a decent standard at Bexley but I'm nowhere near that level now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Played my first game of cricket last week for over 2 years, we were playing an inter rugby club match which meant the standard was very hit and miss (literally). Thoroughly enjoyed it and makes me think why I ever stopped playing. 2 wickets and a decent 15 until I chased a wide one off and was caught at point. Had to be retired at 25 anyway so wasn't the end of the world. Used to play a decent standard at Bexley but I'm nowhere near that level now.

Didn't happen to be OCRFC did it? Apparently there might be a potential cricket club-rugby club T20 in the offing...
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Didn't happen to be OCRFC did it? Apparently there might be a potential cricket club-rugby club T20 in the offing...
    It was indeed. We also saw the S&G altercation with one of their players mouthing off about it in the changing rooms after.

There was a cricket vs rugby match a couple of years back I think, would be good fun and also a good way to make money at the bar etc.
  • Options
    Back at Loring Hall. The most absurd game of cricket is unfolding on the next pitch over. Without ruining the fun, AA, you'll have a cold sweat when you see the scorecard
  • Options
    Let's just say that wheels have seldom come off so startlingly
  • Options
    Wheels update: the wheels are back on
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Back at Loring Hall. The most absurd game of cricket is unfolding on the next pitch over. Without ruining the fun, AA, you'll have a cold sweat when you see the scorecard

And.....!
  • Options
    Solid 30-odd run win. Happy as. My Singhs were doing the business with the bat! First time I've got two wickets in a spell this season, so I'm fairly happy.

All credit to our openers though, who restricted them to 46-3 off 20 overs.

Onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I did hear about it back at the club - Bromley Town 1s went from something like 60-9 to a 158 all out. Then Bexley 3s managed to scrape home by 3 wickets.6

The 2s lost their unbeaten run. Hartley won the toss and batted. Unfortunately we dropped Dave Thompson when he was on 20 and he went on to make 108 out of a total of 222. Already missing 4 of out top 6 we weren't helped by an umpire who has a reputation for being quick with the trigger giving 3 of our top 4 out LBW. Bexley were 155 all out.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Downham and Bellingham played Catford Wanderers today. Mate sent the following message!

"Unbelievable. Harry our batsman just snicked off and the catford Wanderers umpire celebrated"

So much for neutrality...
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Downham and Bellingham played Catford Wanderers today. Mate sent the following message!

"Unbelievable. Harry our batsman just snicked off and the catford Wanderers umpire celebrated"

Played them a few years ago, lost in the last over after our 5th lbw to a ball that wasn't in the same postcode as the wickets. Nice to see the league came down hard on them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

They have a long standing reputation for dodgy umpires. One game at Chisles some years ago ended with the home ream walking off. It was so dark the umpire didn't notice!
  • Options
    lolwray said:

m">

MrOneLung said:

He still has a faster ball. It's just not as fast as it once was.

That said, he is incredibly fit for his age but holds no prisoners when it comes to coaching - it's "sink or swim" and if he thinks a kid doesn't fancy facing bouncers from his "slinger" (which he actually bowls rather than throws to get more speed and bounce) then he will just target them even more!
    Heavily involved with Mayfield cricket club down here aswell, We “Hastings 2nds” have gone joint top of the league with Portslade 1sts after our 3rd win on the bounce, onto Burgess Hill 1sts Saturday at home.

talking of picturesque grounds Mayfield CC is lovely ,the setting at Horntye is pretty decent too

Wish the pitch was a lovely setting haha, flat dead and slow all year round, lost to burgess hill first team yesterday and drop down to third in the league, first 8 over throught we would be chasing 350 but clawed it back taking 3 wickets for 1 run including the prize of there overseas for just 1, they had 226-8 off there 53 unfortunately we had a batting collapse at 180-6 and was all out for 187

20/20 quarter final today at home to Portslade who are 4 divisions below us and with a very strong side we should be looking at the semi finals
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Indeed, thanks for the warning! I played on the new square last year on a rare Sunday appearance - it was not a pitch on which to play back to a 14 year old slow-medium bowler with a low trajectory. Though from @Leuth’s account, that seemed to be the least of our batting issues last Saturday (I was being cultural at Glyndebourne so missed this particular debacle).

Predictably after posting this, I was lbw without troubling the scorers. Aarrgggghhh!

• Options
    Stumped for a duck myself. It was an irritating game most notable for the batting failures of others (he said, slightly indulgently)
  • Options
    I played a game for Mayfield once btw (true story!) taking 3 cheap wickets and then winning the chase from number 9 with about 14*. I wonder if my heroics are still remembered
  • Options
    Into the semi finals of the Sussex 20/20 cup with a 9 wicket win over Portslade, restricting them to 92-9 off there 20 before knocking them off in 14 overs
  • Options

Seb was invited to trial for the annual fundraiser for Leigh Academy against the PCA (used to be against Lashings) on the 29th June at Bexley. Whilst he doesn't go there, the side to play the PCA comes under the Academy banner and is made up of local school and club cricketers.

The good news for Seb is that he has made the team (and is the youngest to do so this year) and whilst he probably won't keep, as that will probably be an 18 year old who has done it for the last couple of years, he is due to bat at 5 against a PCA side with the following confirmed so far:

Mark Ramprakash
    Owais Shah
    Adam Hollioake
    Alex Tudor
    Min Patel
    Dominic Cork
    Mal Loye
    Ali Brown
    Matthew Hoggard

It will be a fantastic experience for him to play against that lot especially with a number of them being former England internationals - and I wouldn't mind betting that the likes of Cork, Tudor and Hoggard are still pretty useful with the ball.

I watched that game last year and although it was pretty one sided The PCA side had Denly , Nixon etc in the ranks as well as the names listed above, i am sure it was a great learning experience. I am sure seb will have a great time. The Leigh bowled and fielded well but struggled with the bat. Whats the strength of the leigh team this year, if i can get the time off work i may pop down again. Last year one lad took a wonder catch in the outfield to dismiss Denly. I seem to remember the boys keeper from last year took a big snick from Mal Loye standing up to the opening bowler and batted well , i think he also won the man of the match ? Is this the same keeper ?
  • Options
    After yesterday, my batting average for the season now resides at the lofty heights of 35.

Granted, this is because of scores of 6*, 14*, 0, and 15*, but it's rather nice all the same.

Still haven't scored a league run though...
  • Options
    Played on Saturday, got 115 of our sides 170. Never had a least satisfying ton in my life, we lost by 7 wickets....

http://dormanslandcc.play-cricket.com/website/results/3313753