Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Good luck Seb - better to be busy than not...
  • A busy weekend coming up for Seb.

Last Sunday he was part of the winning Bexley side in the Kent ECB U19 finals. He is also in the team for the South Finals this Sunday at the County Ground Beckenham which include the respective winners from Essex, Middlesex and Surrey.

The day before he will be playing for the Bexley Dyno team in the County Finals at St Lawrence. This is a comp restricted to players who do not play in the KCL 1st or 2nd Teams - unless they are under 18. Should Bexley win their semi they will potentially be playing the aforementioned Littlebourne including, of course, Byron "361" Gould.

These are tremendous opportunities for Seb and whilst he is unlikely to bat, to be selected as keeper for both sides at just 14 has been a massive confidence boost for him especially given his unfortunate early season injury and the difficult decision he has made not to play for Kent next season.

With the Club Colts Presentation Evening on Friday and the Adult Dinner Dance on Saturday too, it's not exactly going to be a quiet one for yours truly either!

And so the report from this weekend.

In the Dyno semi on Saturday Bexley chased down Wickham Park's 149 with 5 overs to spare and so proceeded to meet Littleboune in the final - Messrs Gould, Gould, Gould and Gould et al. Inside the 3rd over and on 23 off just 10 balls, Byron proceeded to find one of our only two permissible boundary riders at long on. To say that was the defining ball of the match would be an understatement - from 30-1 they collapsed to 56-9 and despite a last wicket stand of 28 their total was never likely to be a challenge.

So to the anti-climax of Sunday. With the organisers opting to make the semi a 15 over affair, Wandstead, representing Essex, opted to bat - after 11 overs they were on 56 and Bexley were in charge but a lack of control and 46 runs off the final 4 overs meant that a more than realistic target of 103 was set. Too many dot balls in Bexley's innings and some poor shot selection meant that they finished on 95-7. Sadly a finals day too far.

Seb didn't get to bat either days but kept well with the highlight a stumping standing back against Wickham Park - which proved to be the first wicket of a hat trick for one of our seamers.

Still a great season overall - winter training starts in just over 3 months time!
  • Surely a stumping standing back is a Run Out?
    There's no d in Wanstead btw...
  • Riviera said:

Surely a stumping standing back is a Run Out?
    There's no d in Wanstead btw...

The batsman was not attempting to run - he took his guard out of his crease. So, as stated below, he can be given out stumped.

Law 39.1 (Stumped) says:
    "(a) The striker is out Stumped if
    (i) he is out of his ground
    and (ii) he is receiving a ball which is not a No ball
    and (iii) he is not attempting a run
    and (iv) his wicket is fairly put down by the wicket-keeper without the intervention of another member of the fielding side.

(b) The striker is out Stumped if all the conditions of (a) above are satisfied, even though a decision of Run out would be justified."

The "d" in Wanstead came about because I typed "Wandsworth" originally and forgot to remove the erroneous letter.
  • AshBurton said:

Hot on the heels of Littlebourne's bullying comes this latest club cricket shocker:
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41076945

Within this particular league's rules so fair game or simply beyond the pale? Discuss.

As a result of the Club's action the League held a disciplinary hearing, the results of which were that they were allowed to remain champions - but were relegated and fined £300 and the knock on effect of that is that their 2nd team are automatically relegated too as they were already in the division below.

At least something has been done to preserve the spirit of cricket.
  • AshBurton said:

Hot on the heels of Littlebourne's bullying comes this latest club cricket shocker:
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41076945

Within this particular league's rules so fair game or simply beyond the pale? Discuss.

As a result of the Club's action the League held a disciplinary hearing, the results of which were that they were allowed to remain champions - but were relegated and fined £300 and the knock on effect of that is that their 2nd team are automatically relegated too as they were already in the division below.

At least something has been done to preserve the spirit of cricket.
    Quite right that punishment has been effected.
  • This is an infamous game from the Kent Cricket League in 2011.
    Holmesdale were the home side and although the majority of the Hythe team were delayed due to a major accident on the M20 the home captain insisted on a 1.15pm start. Hythe won the toss and their captain as a protest to Holmesdale's lack of spirit decided to field with just four players. When the rest of the Hythe team arrived they were so incensed it inspired them to bowl Holmesdale out pretty quickly and then gallantly hung on for a draw.
    Spirit of cricket? Not in league cricket.
    http://kcl.play-cricket.com/website/results/1632013
  • This season in KCL div 5 relegation battle, a team had 6 players available at the toss. They won it, and fielded knowing the forecast was for rain mid afternoon. A 7th player did turn up, as did the rain with the game being abandoned well into the first innings. If they had batted, they could well have lost the match. As it was, this match and toss saved them from relegation and relegated their Opponents!
  • Sponsored links:

• Sad news from Bexley CC today. Geoff Burton who many of you may know sadly passed away yesterday.

RIP
  • Very sad. We shared umpiring duties in half a dozen or so games last season (when I stepped in due to the oppo not bringing one). The Club will miss his presence and friendly face.

RIP Geoff
  • For those that are interested there are two Bexley CC players currently on Sky playing for Scotland against Ireland in a WC qualifying match - Matt Cross and Calum MacLeod.

Crossy was with Bexley last season too and Calum has joined as both a player and coach and has been doing a lot of work with Seb pre-season working on his trigger movement as well as the mental side of the game. Which he should know something about given that he had to have a whole year off re-modelling his action with Allan Donald while he was banned at Warwickshire. He spent the time watching Trott and transformed himself into a front line batsman - to the extent that he is one of only 12 batsmen to have scored three 150 pluses in ODIs, albeit that his were against associate countries.
  • Thought I'd resurrect this ahead of the 2018 season! Well excited.

Played my first game in seven months on Sunday - still feeling a little achy in the arm. Reeled off eight overs on the trot against batsmen who were one or two teams above my standard to be honest. Snared one of them, though, but only after he'd taken me for 4 an over exclusively through the covers after a nice bit of flight for an easy stumping.

Lost that game unfortunately, but only in the 39th over of the chase - early season pitches are hard to score runs on. Our 137 was always 15-20 short of a good total, but a close tie nonetheless!

Amazingly, I've already confirmed 11 for the first league game in two weeks' time - expecting to lose most of them to the higher teams, of course, but good signs ahead!

Hope we all score bucketloads of runs and take plenty of wickets. Unless any of you happen to play Old Colfeians 3s/4s this season... :wink:
  • PaddyP17 said:

Thought I'd resurrect this ahead of the 2018 season! Well excited.

Played my first game in seven months on Sunday - still feeling a little achy in the arm. Reeled off eight overs on the trot against batsmen who were one or two teams above my standard to be honest. Snared one of them, though, but only after he'd taken me for 4 an over exclusively through the covers after a nice bit of flight for an easy stumping.

Lost that game unfortunately, but only in the 39th over of the chase - early season pitches are hard to score runs on. Our 137 was always 15-20 short of a good total, but a close tie nonetheless!

Amazingly, I've already confirmed 11 for the first league game in two weeks' time - expecting to lose most of them to the higher teams, of course, but good signs ahead!

Hope we all score bucketloads of runs and take plenty of wickets. Unless any of you happen to play Old Colfeians 3s/4s this season... :wink:

Hope to bump into you and your charlton cohorts this year Paddy ...enjoy your season

• Anyone fancy a game or two for Chislehurst this season please drops me a line.
  • Big day for Seb on Saturday as he is set, weather permitting, to make his debut for Bexley 1s in a friendly against Old Colfeians. Seb is one of two 15 year olds who will be playing and it is an opportunity for them to see what playing in the first team is all about.

I know that we do have a few OC players on here and wouldn't want them to think that Bexley are being disrespectful to OCs because they aren't. All of the rest of the side announced are regular first teamers and it includes two players who have played Kent 2s plus another two who are former County players and who were in the Scotland team that narrowly missed out on qualifying for the World Cup last month - Matt Cross and Calum MacLeod.

The latter in the comp scored 157* against Afghanistan, a side that included Rashid Khan - who ended up with what is probably his worst ever bowling figures in an ODI of 9-0-68-1

It will be a great experience for Seb and it will give him a target to aim for in the future.

good luck to Seb ...he just needs to be himself
  • Big day for Seb on Saturday as he is set, weather permitting, to make his debut for Bexley 1s in a friendly against Old Colfeians. Seb is one of two 15 year olds who will be playing and it is an opportunity for them to see what playing in the first team is all about.

I know that we do have a few OC players on here and wouldn't want them to think that Bexley are being disrespectful to OCs because they aren't. All of the rest of the side announced are regular first teamers and it includes two players who have played Kent 2s plus another two who are former County players and who were in the Scotland team that narrowly missed out on qualifying for the World Cup last month - Matt Cross and Calum MacLeod.

The latter in the comp scored 157* against Afghanistan, a side that included Rashid Khan - who ended up with what is probably his worst ever bowling figures in an ODI of 9-0-68-1

It will be a great experience for Seb and it will give him a target to aim for in the future.

You're probably going to batter us with that lineup. I suggest a bit of discreet game management. Try and bat first.

Our 1st XI is Div 4 KCL and while there are some useful players, there's a few missing. There are a couple of 2s players in there, including Dave/D-Hod, who is one of the best bats I've ever seen, but a little on the older side. (He fields exclusively at short cover - you'll see who I mean.)
  • As for Seb - this will be a good chance at his age! He'd probably face a good challenge batting at 4/5. Our bowling attack is relatively consistent and Harshil, our left-arm quick, is really tricky. Would be good practice.
  • Sponsored links:

• ^^apparently he was in the Warwickshire squad about...forty years ago
  • Dave, I mean. Wow, they finally got Harshil in the 1s? That must have been a wrangle at the selection meeting ;)
  • PaddyP17 said:

As for Seb - this will be a good chance at his age! He'd probably face a good challenge batting at 4/5. Our bowling attack is relatively consistent and Harshil, our left-arm quick, is really tricky. Would be good practice.

I think that Seb will probably bat at 9 so might not get in and won't keep either but that really won't be an issue for him.
  • I should point out that Dave is still probably the best short fielder at the club (cover/leg/wherever). His hands are phenomenal. And he was definitely on the books of a county side - can't remember if it was Warks or not though.

It's worth pointing out that Retin, Mandeep, Shailesh(!!!!!!!!!! didn't know he was back in the fold), and Sachin R are in that side, too, so I think there will be a degree of fluidity in selection this year - so we hope.

Oh, the Sunday friendly is off btw @Leuth - as it stands. We're trying to find another fixture but yeah
  • PaddyP17 said:

As for Seb - this will be a good chance at his age! He'd probably face a good challenge batting at 4/5. Our bowling attack is relatively consistent and Harshil, our left-arm quick, is really tricky. Would be good practice.

I think that Seb will probably bat at 9 so might not get in and won't keep either but that really won't be an issue for him.
    Well, erm, here's hoping we rip through the top and middle order... :lol:
  • Some of the previews from those associated with Colfes on Saturday re Bexley:

"We are so f**ked :lol: " - the 2nd XI skipper, who will be opening the batting

"Great - exactly what I wanted. And that's not sarcastic" - 1st XI skipper

"The might as well not bother turning up. There are going to be some seriously damaging bowling figures dished out - I reckon 400+ is on the cards." - former 1st XI bat, who now opens for Downham and Bellingham

"Are we providing a ball, a box of balls, or boxes of balls?" - the aforementioned Dave

-----------------------

I do quite wish I could be there if I'm honest!
  • PaddyP17 said:

like to think he ll get some kind of game ..maybe give him the gloves for 20 overs
  • edited April 2018
    lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

like to think he ll get some kind of game ..maybe give him the gloves for 20 overs
    The difficulty is threefold.

I don't know what they are going to do but I suspect that they are more likely to give a bat to those who would ordinarily bat in the 6-9 region for the 1st team simply because they won't have another chance in the middle before the start of the season next week.

The second thing is that Seb is playing for the school that morning and will need Papal Dispensation to leave early - and if they field first in the school game he will keep in that game.

And finally he is playing on Sunday against Downham and Bellingham when he will open the batting and keep.

So just fielding on Saturday and taking it all in might not be such a bad thing after all.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Some of the previews from those associated with Colfes on Saturday re Bexley:

"We are so f**ked :lol: " - the 2nd XI skipper, who will be opening the batting

"Great - exactly what I wanted. And that's not sarcastic" - 1st XI skipper

"The might as well not bother turning up. There are going to be some seriously damaging bowling figures dished out - I reckon 400+ is on the cards." - former 1st XI bat, who now opens for Downham and Bellingham

"Are we providing a ball, a box of balls, or boxes of balls?" - the aforementioned Dave

-----------------------

I do quite wish I could be there if I'm honest!

You never know Crossy and Cloudy might pull up lame in the morning. Shot by OC snipers!
  • lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

The difficulty is threefold.

I don't know what they are going to do but I suspect that they are more likely to give a bat to those who would ordinarily bat in the 6-9 region for the 1st team simply because they won't have another chance in the middle before the start of the season next week.

The second thing is that Seb is playing for the school that morning and will need Papal Dispensation to leave early - and if they field first in the school game he will keep in that game.

And finally he is playing on Sunday against Downham and Bellingham when he will open the batting and keep.

So just fielding on Saturday and taking it all in might not be such a bad thing after all.
    Papal Dispensation?! Where is he at school, St Peter's Basilica?!

As for playing against D&B - a side very comparable to Colfes. The opening bat in question I've quoted will be playing on Sunday, and is also the D&B keeper! Kieran is a top guy and decent behind the stumps. Worth keeping half an eye on in terms of how carries himself as a keeper in a 1st XI setting (lots and lots and lots of chat, haha)

They have a decent bowling attack, too - might well be left arm right arm with Risky and Chris Goddard, though I wouldn't know for certain. Make sure he takes his time!