Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Nothing Compares 2 U - The Family v Sinead O'Connor

Two versions of the same song. Listen to both without prejudice and say which you prefer and why.

Don't care about any other versions.

The Family original written by Prince from 1985 or the 1990 hit by Sinead O'Conner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZlzN0Gtpp8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwb_KXWsbk

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Sinead ... love her vocals
  • Sinead.
    She is disliked by many people for whatever reason or other, but she dug in to the emotional heart of Princes song and shared it.
    It is a classic.
  • The Family
  • The Family - love the album. Only have it on cassette - hope it is re-released one day
  • Sinead version strips it back to the core for me. Clear winner. The Family version doesn't grab me at all.
  • Proper choice. Sinead for me. The video is iconic too.
  • Nothing compares to Sinead.
  • The tears.
  • Sinéad all day and every day. This is the song she was born to sing. It could be one of my desert island discs.
  • Sinead x100
  • Sponsored links:

• It's an emotional song and Sinead absolutely nails that emotion perfectly.

The Family's version doesn't work at all for me, because it sounds so upbeat. Rarely are words a music so out of sync.
  • Skin 'ead for me. Although I prefer Mandinka by her.
  • edited May 2017
    I truly, deeply, hate loath and despise this song, I have to leave the room screaming when I hear old Sinead O'conner start up. God I hate it so much it makes me want to scream, and that's without seeing her miserable, bald, stroppy, over opinionated head gurning away in the video, there isn't another song that gives me such a reaction. To be honest It's not a favorite!.
  • Singing is an expression of emotion. Sinead has that in spades. This is a total no contest.
  • dickplumb said:

Singing is an expression of emotion. Sinead has that in spades. This is a total no contest.

seems so, thought it might be closer but Sinead walking this one.
  • Halix said:

I truly, deeply, hate loath and despise this song, I have to leave the room screaming when I hear old Sinead O'conner start up. God I hate it so much it makes me want to scream, and that's without seeing her miserable, bald, stroppy, over opinionated head gurning away in the video, there isn't another song that gives me such a reaction. To be honest It's not a favorite!.

Did you listen to the other version?
  • Sinead all day long for this one
  • First time I've heard the Family version. Turgid! No contest it has to be Sinead

Never been a fan of Prince, but Sinead was the perfect voice for this song.
  • Can certainly hear Prince's influence in the The Family version, but that doesn't save it from being crap imo.

Easy win for Sinead.
  • Sinead
  • Sponsored links:

• Had never heard the Family version before, so that was really refreshing!

It still has to be the Sinead O'Connor record though. She has a (much) better voice and it's more emotionally stirring. The choice of instrumentation is also better. That drum beat brings everything together, and the use of strings.

One thing I will say, however, is that it's far more conventional harmonically. There's some AWESOME potential in the Family version - and I mean like proper jazzy jazzness in ways I couldn't personally have envisaged with this song - but they really don't pull it off.

Now I've heard their version though, it's like I would have a map/landscape/sketch from which to draw a really harmonically novel, interesting version of this song. Not necessarily to everyone's tastes, mind, but something different, anyway.

I might give it a go actually.
  • Curb_It said:

I've been battling with myself to not reply to this one.... but I'm going to. I try not to write too much private stuff on here but looks I'm going to ignore my own advice.

I absolutely hate this song. I didn't even know there was another version but still won't listen. I loved it at the time. Sinead's version was a massive hit during the period of watching my mother die. I sat in my bedroom and played it constantly on my mini stereo. Over and over.

When the song starts you will see me exit the room. The lyrics, the memories. Yuck.

Should I write this? Probably not. May find it therapeutic so thanks Ben!! I bloody hate it!

Sorry B
  • Great idea Henry.

A bit easy this one. I'd never heard the first one the oh, oh, oh, oh business was terrible.

I loved the original and unlike Curb_it it was a song that has happy memories.

However, in the interest if science I played them both for George, who is twelve, and he chose Sined without me telling him which one I prefer.

I do hope this is going to be a regular feature now!
  • It's Sinead the sailor for me.
    Did enjoy Halix's reaction to it though. :smiley:
  • Hi @Curb_It
    Music has the ability to stir great emotions in everyone. I feel the sentiment in you post. It's brave of you to post it, I hope this thread has helped a little.
    D

• Sinead's. I don't the chap in the family can sing!
  • edited May 2017
    Sinead 10/10

The Family 0/10 I've not heard such a God awful racket for many a long year. Absolutely appalling. Nearly smashed up the laptop.
  • Big hugs B x

Always found it a hugely emotional song. Played it in bed when Henry posted it the other night, reminded me instantly of teenage years laying in bed at night listening to the radio and feeling wholly sorry for myself (why don't she like me, no ones going to love me yadda yadda).

Then went on a YouTube session of playing my favourite sad songs from around that time (Gabriel / Bush - Don't Give Up, Bon Jovi - Always, 4 Non Blondes, Flying Pickets - Only You).

Nearly ended up crying my eyes out again!
  • Big hugs B x

Always found it a hugely emotional song. Played it in bed when Henry posted it the other night, reminded me instantly of teenage years laying in bed at night listening to the radio and feeling wholly sorry for myself (why don't she like me, no ones going to love me yadda yadda).

Then went on a YouTube session of playing my favourite sad songs from around that time (Gabriel / Bush - Don't Give Up, Bon Jovi - Always, 4 Non Blondes, Flying Pickets - Only You).

Nearly ended up crying my eyes out again!

I remember good old teenage angst and doing something similar with "I only have eyes for you." Played it over and over again.
    Must have driven the rest of the family mad.