Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• edited May 2017

We might have a top six budget, indeed I'm sure we do

How much of it is still going to the unwanted signings from 2015/16 though? Once you deduct the net salary (i.e their wages less the small amount the loan club is paying) of Sarr, Ceballos Igor etc, the amount left will be far less impressive

Something I'm lead to believe Tarbuck only found out recently
  • edited May 2017
    Agree with Henry. The only way to keep Holmes is to offer him more money and hope it works. In saying that the overall budget for wages will be affected, making it more difficult to sign players. Just hope some of the unwanted players can be sold to free up extra funds. Either that or get new owners!
  • Redhenry said:

I don't think Sheffield U will offer enough, to tempt the club to sell.

Really? Roland cashes in at the first offer.
    Not quite true. What they can never d
    get right is the balance.

They spent big on wages to keep Cousins and JBG but left little else to build a squad, a concept Duchatelet can't grasp.

They spent big on Ajose, Pearce and Novak and didn't sell Lookman last summer but left Slade "miles away" from a balanced squad especially in midfield. They then sold Lookman but spent only a tiny fraction of that windfall.

So I can money being spent on Holmes to present a false image of "going for it" but then the issue of having to shift the big earners limiting the rest of the Robinson's plan.
    This, an excellent point.

It's not necessarily that the regime doesn't spend money, it's that when they do it's lopsided and not well invested. Why we needed to spend something like 1m+ on Pearce when we had five other center backs is a bit beyond me (he's turned out to be a good player, mind). Plus there was offering Novak huge wages, 800k on Ajose (and yet we can't shift Igor or Watt). And we're still paying for mistakes made in past years.

I still think Slade needs to carry some of the blame for last summer, as he decided to give big wages to Foley and Crofts then wait for ages for Thompson leaving ourselves old and slow in central midfield.
  • Do we know what sort of wages Foley and Crofts were offered?
  • edited May 2017
    Pro-Charlton reasons:

1. we're in the south, closer to home
    2. if the club have any sense, he's getting paid more next year

Pro-Sheff U reasons:

1. he'll be in the Championship, not League One
    2. link up with former manager Wilder who knows how to get the best out of him.
  • SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

I don't think Sheffield U will offer enough, to tempt the club to sell.

Really? Roland cashes in at the first offer.
    Not quite true. What they can never d
    get right is the balance.

They spent big on wages to keep Cousins and JBG but left little else to build a squad, a concept Duchatelet can't grasp.

They spent big on Ajose, Pearce and Novak and didn't sell Lookman last summer but left Slade "miles away" from a balanced squad especially in midfield. They then sold Lookman but spent only a tiny fraction of that windfall.

So I can money being spent on Holmes to present a false image of "going for it" but then the issue of having to shift the big earners limiting the rest of the Robinson's plan.
    This, an excellent point.

It's not necessarily that the regime doesn't spend money, it's that when they do it's lopsided and not well invested. Why we needed to spend something like 1m+ on Pearce when we had five other center backs is a bit beyond me (he's turned out to be a good player, mind). Plus there was offering Novak huge wages, 800k on Ajose (and yet we can't shift Igor or Watt). And we're still paying for mistakes made in past years.

I still think Slade needs to carry some of the blame for last summer, as he decided to give big wages to Foley and Crofts then wait for ages for Thompson leaving ourselves old and slow in central midfield.
    I really doubt Foley and Crofts were on big wages they would've jumped at the chance of a contract at Charlton not sure they would have had too many other offers.
  • Pro-Charlton reasons:

Pro-Sheff U reasons:

Not sure Wilder got more than Robbo. He had a free role, played when ever he was fit, was our main player.

At Sheffield United he would have none of that.

Sometimes you are at a club that fits.

Money is important of course. But he had a lot of fun last year and they have to match the wages and pay a transfer fee, match his enthusiasm for wanting to play, and convince him him that starting at a new club and convincing their supporters to forgive him the runs into a blind alley are worth the risk.

We love and understand him. Lot to be said for staying.

• Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

Pro-Charlton reasons:

Pro-Sheff U reasons:

Not sure Wilder got more than Robbo. He had a free role, played when ever he was fit, was our main player.

At Sheffield United he would have none of that.

Sometimes you are at a club that fits.

Money is important of course. But he had a lot of fun last year and they have to match the wages and pay a transfer fee, match his enthusiasm for wanting to play, and convince him him that starting at a new club and convincing their supporters to forgive him the runs into a blind alley are worth the risk.

We love and understand him. Lot to be said for staying.

Clutching at straws much!
  • Pro-Charlton reasons:

Pro-Sheff U reasons:

I'm not sure I see this an either or situation.

Surely if Holmes was in demand or wanted to leave he could attract the attention of a club other than Sheffield United, who could offer him Championship football and not oop north.

• I think it all depends on whether Holmes wants to go or not. If he does and won't sign an extension then the Club will cash in.
  • Not the club rat face.
  • edited May 2017
    https://mobile.twitter.com/CafcFacts/status/86884028166748979
    Inked with Fleetwood free agent David Ball bit Rotherham said to be favourites.
  • edited May 2017
    Holmes is 30 in two weeks. He'll want a go in the championship before he retires.

I also imagine Bramall Lane will be a great place to play football next season, even more so with the Steel City derby.
  • Holmes is 30 in two weeks. He'll want a go in the championship before he retires.

I also imagine Bramall Lane will be a great place to play football next season, even more so with the Steel City derby.

He'll want a decent last deal given his age so that could just as well be us.
  • Holmes is 30 in two weeks. He'll want a go in the championship before he retires.

Will we compete financially this season. I think RD is gonna run us on fumes.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Holmes is 30 in two weeks. He'll want a go in the championship before he retires.

Will we compete financially this season. I think RD is gonna run us on fumes.
    Quite possibly but I suspect it will be the usual fur coat and no knickers
    I do wonder whether it may be worth reconsidering your wardrobe choices.
  • David Ball scored 14 goals last season. He was equal 9th top goal scorer and 4 that were above him are/will be in The Championship next season, making him 6th now.

PS Ian Henderson who we've been linked with was 7th top goalscorer with 15 goals, now in 4th position, as 3 above him are now in The Championship.

I like Ball he gave us all sorts of problems at The Valley and he's definitely one we should try and get.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

• edited May 2017

David Ball scored 14 goals last season. He was equal 9th top goal scorer and 4 that were above him are/will be in The Championship next season, making him 6th now.

PS Ian Henderson who we've been linked with was 7th top goalscorer with 15 goals, now in 4th position, as 3 above him are now in The Championship.

I like Ball he gave us all sorts of problems at The Valley and he's definitely one we should try and get.

I'd have him in a heartbeat. Can play up front, out wide, or just behind the forward. Gets goals from anywhere. The type of player we could desperately use as, to play a 4-2-3-1, we're going to need goals from all over, plus we're generally light in the wide areas. Was a part of that Man City FA Youth Cup winning team that included Micah Richards, Daniel Sturridge, Ched Evans, Michael Johnson, Ben Mee, and Kieren Trippier.

Apologies on the Crofts/Foley front. I assumed that two international players, coming on frees from the Championship, would be on the higher end of wage earners. That was simply me making deductions, and it seems that it was not quite right.
  • Wow, Ball sounds great. Scores, peaking in his career, a free...

Why the hell would he choose Rotherham over us. Only a terrible owner would blow this.

Ohhhh, wait.
  • PS- Isn't Ball a midfielder, though? If so, might be a good replacement for Homles of we lose him.
  • Oggy Red said:

Nathan Thompson has won Swindon's Player of the Year twice.
    But not this year, though. Their keeper won it.

Only 5'9" tall - so regrettably, fails the CL height test.

Yeah, and that keeper is Lawrence Vigoroux, who is 24, and already has two POY to his credit there, is available and probably will be in the PL, someday. Would die to get him here. Probably would cost £1 to 1.5M, though. Solves our problems for the better part of a decade.
  • He's a Manchester lad, so may prefer to stay up North.
  • Only an insane person would prefer to stay up north. Live in London... or halfway to the North Pole. Should be an easy decision?
  • edited May 2017
    Players I would love to see us sign, that are available and doable...

George Thomas, Coventry, 20-year old attacking mid or foward. A "free." Age 20. Big upside.

Lawrence Vigoroux, 24 year old keeper, two time POY for Swindon, available but might cost £1-1.5M.

Nathan Smith, POY for Port Vale, 21 years old, just won POY, defender. Probably cost a mil.

Gavin Massey, 24, relegated Leyton. Possibly their best player, attack mid. A "free."

Conor McLaughlin, Fleetwood, right back, a "free." Age 25.

Lee Erwin, Oldham's leading scorer this year, owned by Leeds, apparently available, might cost £1 mil. Only 23 years old.

Liam Lindsay, Partrik Thistle, only non-Celtic/Aberdeen player to make first team all league in Scotland. 21 years old. Defender. Might cost a mil.

Will Faulks, Rotherham, defender, age 23, Rotherham, he is for sale. Price is £400k.

A whole new team of young players with big upside for a total set of transfer fees of.... £4-5M. Heck, can make a nice team just from the frees!!!!