Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre-season friendlies?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Still hoping for a game in Northamptonshire, even u23 is fine, new hip flask always needs bedding in.
  • Options

RedPanda said:

Has anyone heard any rumours or to be confirmeds? Apparently Karl Robinson likes taking his teams to Ireland.

I thought I heard we were playing Tipperary but that is a long way to go just to play a friendly.
    Not that far, seeing as you have to go through Tipp to get to Limerick from Dublin.

Whoosh.
  • Options

Still hoping for a game in Northamptonshire, even u23 is fine, new hip flask always needs bedding in.

you'll have to settle for Stevenage on 22nd July. At least it's the right side of London.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Ollie Groome describes Limerick as being in the west of Ireland. Must have moved then.

• Options
    Stevenage away on July 22nd. I'll happily take that and Dover as new ticks, I was banking on a weekend game in Ireland.

I think this is the final list, fair play for announcing all quite early:

Monday, July 10th Crumlin United v Charlton (7.45pm at St Patrick's Athletic)
    Tuesday, July 11th Limerick v Charlton (7.45pm)
    Wednesday, July 12th University College Dublin v Charlton (7.45pm)
    Saturday, July 15th Welling United v Charlton (3pm)
    Saturday, July 15th Greenwich Borough v Charlton (7.30pm)
    Tuesday, July 18th Dover Athletic v Charlton (7.45pm)
    Saturday, July 22nd Stevenage v Charlton (3pm)
    Tuesday, July 25th Charlton v Norwich City (7.45pm)
    Saturday, July 29th Charlton v Ipswich Town (3pm)
  • Options
    not a bad mix in there, build up to the decent final 2 games.
  • Options
    Couple of under 23 games will be thrown into that too
  • Options

BillG said:

This is a complete waste of time and money. No benefit can be gained playing against these sides and only risks injury to key players. Yet another example of how badly this club is run. Can it get worse??

Early pre-season games for virtually all clubs are normally looseners against weaker opposition.

However, I do find it strange the team being out in Ireland a week before the games.

Three games in three days is unusual to say the least, it runs the risk of injury should game time not be managed correctly.
    They are holding a training camp the week before these games, as we did in Spain previously.
    For those moaning about the quality of the opposition, it's not about that initially, it's about fitness, getting across tactics and patterns of play, and no doubt playing triallists. Decent opposition in Norwich & Ipswich to tone it all up before the season starts.
  • Options
    Preseason is about a mixture of fitness and leading up to playing decent opposition. It appears that aim has been achieved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully,they keep the prices reasonable. Planning to do both Welling and Greenwich. However, won't bother if tickets are stupid price.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Preseason is about a mixture of fitness and leading up to playing decent opposition. It appears that aim has been achieved.

I thought it was so the trialists/out of contract/freebies/has beens/belgium imports can give their aging bones a limber up.
  • Options
    some will moan about the standard of opposition immediately prior to the season beginning, but imagine being an Ipswich or Norwich fan and having to play shite like us in the week before the season starts.
  • Options

some will moan about the standard of opposition immediately prior to the season beginning, but imagine being an Ipswich or Norwich fan and having to play shite like us in the week before the season starts.

Doesn't the championship kick off a week later? So they'll have a game lined up against stronger opposition then, I'd imagine
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Doesn't the championship kick off a week later? So they'll have a game lined up against stronger opposition then, I'd imagine
    Nope all three Leagues start on the same day... http://www.efl.com/global/keydates.aspx
  • Options
    Hope we can get a big club like Burton Albion down to The Valley.

Just sell Roland you moron.
  • Options
    Whitehawk away on the 22nd of July for the yoof

http://whitehawkfc.com/1718-preseason-fixtures-announced/
  • Options

BillG said:

This is a complete waste of time and money. No benefit can be gained playing against these sides and only risks injury to key players. Yet another example of how badly this club is run. Can it get worse??

Early pre-season games for virtually all clubs are normally looseners against weaker opposition.

However, I do find it strange the team being out in Ireland a week before the games.

Three games in three days is unusual to say the least, it runs the risk of injury should game time not be managed correctly.
    And Crumlin have pick us out.