Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricky Holmes

Comments

• Options

In these situations, a lot depends on what the player wants. If a player wants to go, then it's really hard to make them stay.

Holmes, for example, wanted to leave Northampton for us, and asked for a transfer. And as we finished 3 places higher than them, it was clearly the right decision....

Plus we payed him more than they could.
  • Options

In these situations, a lot depends on what the player wants. If a player wants to go, then it's really hard to make them stay.

I guess, but if they were really serious about getting out of this league, they should be falling over themselves trying to keep a player like Holmes.
  • Options
    This for me will prove whether all the communications coming out of the club are legit or are platitudes. Ricky Holmes is the player we need to be build are team around. We shall see we shall see
  • Options

This for me will prove whether all the communications coming out of the club are legit or are platitudes. Ricky Holmes is the player we need to be build are team around. We shall see we shall see

Expect his transfer to be announced shortly...
  • Options
    DA9 said:

When it's on the OS, until then, nobody knows anything.

Copyright: H.I.

Damn right
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    He had a great year. But the fact is he is about to turn 30. Most forwards peak out at age 27. There is s very good chance he won't replicate this season, next year. Or ever.

The data is quite strong on this. For every forward like Zlatan that power through into their 30s, there are 10 that decline sharply.

My guess is he goes for 1 million. And if we get that offer, both CAFC and Holmes, would be crazy not to take it.

For me, what's upsetting is the fact we know RD won't reinvest the money and that angers me more than Holmes getting a shot at a higher league while he can.
  • Options
    What a pleasure to watch a bloke with great skill and even better effort. At his age leaving to a club in the Champ would be more than understandable.
  • Options
    Surely the regime wouldn't let go of the player who fans voted POTY?
  • Options

He had a great year. But the fact is he is about to turn 30. Most forwards peak out at age 27. There is s very good chance he won't replicate this season, next year. Or ever.

The data is quite strong on this. For every forward like Zlatan that power through into their 30s, there are 10 that decline sharply.

My guess is he goes for 1 million. And if we get that offer, both CAFC and Holmes, would be crazy not to take it.

For me, what's upsetting is the fact we know RD won't reinvest the money and that angers me more than Holmes getting a shot at a higher league while he can.

I'd be surprised if he went for even half a million, it will undisclosed and he'll be replaced by a youth player or someone who hasn't played for six months.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We bought him for £125k I believe. He's got a year left on his contract, Sheff Utd are a division higher and RD will be on a mission to recoup whatever he can/save as much money as possible. I would imagine if Sheff Utd put in £250k we'll let him go

Someone mentioned £1m earlier. He's not worth that at all imo
  • Options
    If he does go it'll no doubt be spun as "Holmes wanted to leave", we'll then find out that he was pretty much pushed out the door after a club offered 50k and a packet of wine gums
  • Options

Trouble with this argument is that pretty much since being relegated from the PL 10 or so years ago someone has made it about our best players at the end of every season. Never works. Keep your best players and add to them.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

cfgs said:

CAFCTrev said:

Do the regime comprehend that in order to have any kind of season ticket sales improvement, they need to look like they are serious about putting a squad together for promotion. Selling a standout fan favourite player, who can be the basis of a promotion challenging team is totally moronic, and would be a detriment to ticket sales. Have they not learned anything from the Kermo sale?

Weapons. Grade. Facepalm.

Do they look capable of learning anything from their copious mistakes?
    The only time I would accept Holmes being sold, is the scenario that RD try's to recuperate some of his losses and then sells the club
    I was thinking that when he trousered the Lookman dough and spent nothing.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Edit. Whoops wrong thread...
  • Options
    I agree with @Redrobo and think the key area in the negotiations will be the length of any contract extension. Holmes will want an extra two years to provide him and his family with some measure of security, whilst the club would probably prefer to offer him a one year extension. It will also obviously depend upon what any other suitors are prepared to offer.

It's imperative that we keep Ricky Holmes if the regime has a shred of ambition to get back to the Championship. The difficulty is that Duchatelet has form in terms of moving on star players and Meire's priority is probably going to be meeting her financial KPIs and trying to contain the level of losses. She is, in any event, unlikely to have any real influence over what our gimlet-eyed overlord decides when he surveys the financials. All that said, a good offer has apparently been made to Ben Reeves (at least according to his agent) so maybe, just maybe, the club are prepared to have a proper go this year. We live in hope (if not expectation).
  • Options
    edited May 2017

When you say there is data on this can you share any of it? From what I've seen (and I appreciate that it's only anecdotal evidence) most players improve in their early 30s. In fact I can't remember seeing a player retire before he hit 30 that wasn't injured, for ages.

I think £1m for a player with one good season above the forth division and just one year left on his contract is way too much. I suspect it will be significantly less than £500k if he moves, which I agree he might. I'm not sure that Sheff Utd would want him, but it's a good place for his agent to start the rumors to increase his wages with us. I mean he already knows the manager and being newly promoted they might fancy a good third division player to add to their squad.

I would have thought that Millwall (assuming they win the playoffs) or QPR (maybe Ipswich or Norwich) would have been a more likely target if he isn't keen on going back up north. However, the more these teams offer the closer they seem to be.
  • Options
    Every season at Charlton seems to mean heartbreak followed by the great escape.

Any other players seem digging secret tunnels out of Ms.Nightmeire's lunatic asylum ?

Not Roger or Tex that's for sure.
  • Options

I think it depends on the type of player

Pacey forwards, e.g. Michael Owen, Torres do seem to fade earlier.
    Players who played a lot when young (Rooney?) do seem to fade earlier as well - he' s still only 31, yet is well past his best

On the other hand other strikers, who rely more on their all round game and hold up play, e.g. Zlatan, Sherringham, Shearer to an extent and yes Yann, can improve with age or at least maintain the same high standards

Didn't all three of those players suffer significant injuries though? Certainly Owen had a long lay off at Newcastle and it was known by everyone - save for Abramovich, it wold seem - that Torres was finished when Liverpool sold him for £50m due to the injury he'd had the season before. Rooney, on the other hand, was never built to last into his 30s. I do agree that those that start very early at the top of the game tend to struggle later in their careers - but it didn't seem to stop Giggs, Beckham and Scoles playing well into their 30s and still winning titles.

I'm sure that some players will last longer than others it's just that I don't think players are finished at 30 like they used to be in the 70s, back when players drank more than fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I refer back to my previous comment

My friend spoke to him after the last game of the season and he said "I have another year on my contract and plan to be here". He was looking to extend his contract

My understanding is this is still the case

standby for updates #goodnews
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    cabbles said:

We bought him for £125k I believe. He's got a year left on his contract, Sheff Utd are a division higher and RD will be on a mission to recoup whatever he can/save as much money as possible. I would imagine if Sheff Utd put in £250k we'll let him go

So you don't think 89 Ricky Holmes' could beat 1 Paul Pogba in a football match?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If we want to build a team to get promoted next year, we have to keep our better players from this season! It is surely a no brainer. I can't see how we could sell Holmes for £250k and replace him for even double that! If we do get promoted, it might not be too hard to get him to sign a new contract.
  • Options

Bid accepted for Ricky Holmes from Sheffield United. Friend of a friend at the BBC. Here we go again.

If you (or your "friend" is a WUM then I'm taking you down myself........

NOT FUNNY
    cabbles said:

Some players are worth more than the amount you could sell them for - Yann being one of them. Its the old saying about knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing. You sell Holmes for £250k but that money could not replace him - probably a figure closer to £1m is more realistic in terms of his "worth" Top goalscorer being the first thing to think about. Not only do you have to factor in trying to replace him as a winger you have to replace the goals he scored - ie, 2 players in 1.

As I said before - if he goes then I do. I wont set foot into the ground again unless my new team is playing there.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    The team is hardly filled with goal scorers is it? We sold our top scorer and third top scorers in January.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    https://t.co/dVRxMauDLx
    Contract set to be extended, good news at last.
  • Options
    "“He’ll be with us next season. " KR

I honestly don't know why anyone in this club says that. If a remotely ok offer comes in for any of our players they will be off. Statements like this are best left unsaid.
  • Options
    let's see how the talks go before we get too excited, still plenty of time for KM to cock it up