Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricky Holmes

Comments

• Options
    Good luck to him. 30 years old and may not get another chance to play championship football. Don't begrudge him a move elsewhere, whilst playing in front of a 1/3 full ground against pub teams
  • Options

When the Sheffield Utd fans told me about this a few months ago they knew so much about him it made me wonder whether it was more than just pub talk. Genuinely, I could name probably 1 or 2 of their players and even then my knowledge of who they are / where they play would be limited.

It may be a controversial view, but I don't know how Holmes would fare in the Championship. The standard of defensive opposition in the Chanpionship in comparison to League 1 is such a gulf and whilst a lot of what Ricky does come off, a lot of it doesn't and I think those mis-placed passes or one too many touches would get punished much more in the Championship than it has this season. I think he'd have to tailor his game and for me, the exciting thing about Ricky is not knowing what he'll do next.

Hopefully we won't have to find out and he'll still be our player next season.

Agree. Similar to Adam Hammill at Barnsley. He'll have a few decent games in the championship, but that's about it.

ILike the effort he has put in this year, but he needs to be quicker thinking for me. Probably unfair on him, but just the way I see it when I watch from the stand.
  • Options
    As good as Holmes is he's not as good as JBG and that's the standard you need to be playing at in The Championship for regular football.
  • Options

As good as Holmes is he's not as good as JBG and that's the standard you need to be playing at in The Championship for regular football.

But JBG is a Premiership star.........................oh hold a minute.
  • Options
    ow well life goes on sadly
  • Options
    And so it begins!
  • Options
    Well, he bowed out with a good display ... if players of his ability go it's a sign that we aren't serious about trying to get back into the Championship.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    J BLOCK said:

Just been told it's done and dusted to Sheff Utd. Very good source.

Should this happen it will be a shame but you can't blame a player for wanting to better himself (synonym: get paid more) and test himself against a higher standard of opposition.
  • Options
    Think he'd do okay in the Championship - our best player by a mile this season. Fantastic stamina and exciting to watch - deserves a shot at the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Holmes would have got in our title winning team ahead of Green or Wagstaff. He could be a decent player in the Championship even though he probably wouldn't be good enough for a promotion chasing team.

Imagining the title winning team with Holmes in it... I think we might have won every game.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Load of bollocks. He's been jokingly linked with them all season by fans then all of a sudden he's as good as signed? Never been linked by anyone with remote credibility.

This for me. I'll stick my neck out & say that on Sept 1 he'll still be with us. can't see him going anywhere.

If he does it will be up there with Kermorgant going as the most stupidest decision by the regime.
  • Options
    Ricky would be a big loss, but you can't blame him if he does want to take the opportunity to play in the Championship. He's at his peak age wise so may not get another chance (hopefully with us the season after next but who knows what his and our situation will be by then) so as long we are getting a good price I think we have to let him go - it's how properly run clubs treat their players.

Want him to stay though and these 'good source' comments I'm constantly reading on here usually turn out to be bollocks, so when it's on the OS etc.
  • Options
    Holmes is good enough for a top half championship side.

Plenty of players in the champ play off positions who can't hit a free kick as well as Ricky.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Holmes would have got in our title winning team ahead of Green or Wagstaff. He could be a decent player in the Championship even though he probably wouldn't be good enough for a promotion chasing team.

A bit damning with faint praise as Green was awful and Waggy was...limited. But yeah, would have made that team better.
  • Options
    Think he'll stay another year, we'll offer him a decent pay rise and an extra year on his contract, maybe at the cost of a minimum fee transfer clause or permission to talk to clubs from higher divisions if bids are put in.

However, I reckon at least 2 players will be sold that we'll be unhappy with, including Aribo or Konsa.

Robinson talks a good game and has football contacts so expect a couple of decent young players on loan again, similar to us getting Mavididi and DaSilva this time around
  • Options
    Any Charlton player getting an offer to play in a higher division would be a complete mug if he turned it down.

The shower of malignancy that runs this club right now should put off anyone from staying. The inept, incoherent incompetents that run Charlton are so woefully beyond their ability that you'd have to question why any player would choose to remain.

Dammit, I think I'd even jack it in and I can't even play football. (Although, to be fair, having no footballing ability hasn't been a barrier to a Charlton contract since early 2014).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

When the Sheffield Utd fans told me about this a few months ago they knew so much about him it made me wonder whether it was more than just pub talk. Genuinely, I could name probably 1 or 2 of their players and even then my knowledge of who they are / where they play would be limited.

It may be a controversial view, but I don't know how Holmes would fare in the Championship. The standard of defensive opposition in the Chanpionship in comparison to League 1 is such a gulf and whilst a lot of what Ricky does come off, a lot of it doesn't and I think those mis-placed passes or one too many touches would get punished much more in the Championship than it has this season. I think he'd have to tailor his game and for me, the exciting thing about Ricky is not knowing what he'll do next.

Hopefully we won't have to find out and he'll still be our player next season.

Agree, but if I was him I'd want the chance to see if I could play at that level and I don't think he will get another chance after this summer (unless Charlton are promoted).
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Holmes is 29, which arguably gives him one or two years being able to play like he does now ... he surely would jump at the chance to play higher especially at a club so well supported but also managed by his old mate!

This in spades. Forwards statistically start decline at 28, so he has little time left. Can't see him getting a contract here to age 31 or something when he can move up a league.

• Options
    Well Lawrie Wilson liked my tweet congratulating him and saying I'd have him back so that must be a done deal then. ;)
  • Options
    If Holmes and Magennis didn't get injured this season, we would have challenged for the play offs. He's too good for us, but don't think he'd play every week in a Championship side
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Any Charlton player getting an offer to play in a higher division would be a complete mug if he turned it down.

The shower of malignancy that runs this club right now should put off anyone from staying. The inept, incoherent incompetents that run Charlton are so woefully beyond their ability that you'd have to question why any player would choose to remain.

Dammit, I think I'd even jack it in and I can't even play football. (Although, to be fair, having no footballing ability hasn't been a barrier to a Charlton contract since early 2014).

To be fair ANY club in L1 with decent players will struggle to hold on to them if they get an offer from the Championship and want to go. I don't think players are so concerned with the off the field stuff, especially the newer ones. Holmes was at Northampton last season, a complete basket case of a club, which still got promoted.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

If Holmes and Magennis didn't get injured this season, we would have challenged for the play offs. He's too good for us, but don't think he'd play every week in a Championship side

we sold a LB to Wendies and replaced him with a 5 foot loanee.
    ...who's maybe twice as good as Fox (and this is coming from a Fox fan) - like, the kid might play for England

The problem was that we didn't immediately play him in his actual position but faffed around with Page (who may end up being decent, who knows) and even at one dreadful point Jackson

I think our loan signings were of pretty good quality this season, our permanents were more of a problem