Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If Carlsberg did crap stewarding......

Comments

• Options
    The hi vis count, kettling and confrontational techniques seemed extreme and unnecessary to me. To my knowledge the only previous violence shown by supporters on the pitch at the Valley has been to to sofa.

No such problems for the Sheffield Utd celebration at Sixfields.
  • Options
    Bizarre

Vast number of stewards brought on to presumably prevent a pitch invasion, but then when it happened after the game they did nothing anyway. Once they didn't prevent anyone from the lower North getting on, then it all became a bit pointless.

Maybe they were told to prevent a pitch invasion during the match itself, but then after that it was up to them, hence the completely random and inconsistent actions
  • Options
    Simon E said:

There is a rumour going round that the female steward that hit out at the dad carrying their child, was arrested. I hope that's true, she deserved it.

Please be true. The old girl was out of line
  • Options
    massive waste of money by the club as those that wanted to get on got on anyway, so a success.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the constant announcements over the tannoy system were bloody annoying.
  • Options
    Playing devils advocate, I'd imagine that the Orient situation on Saturday prompted the huge steward presence. Hence they were deployed during the 2nd half but let people on at the end. When you use that many stewards there is bound to be a couple of wronguns. In the eyes of the FA, if the club had done nothing and we did an Orient, the club would have been negligent and no doubt fined heavily.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

On the other hand, the steward near where I was sitting - clearly new to the club - was curious to know why we were all wearing black & white, & politely turned a blind eye to all the balloon inflating, ribbon tying, and season ticket "distribution" happening under his nose. He could see fans were no threat to anyone, & not doing any criminal damage, but were just out to create a noisy nuisance for the club in return for the "annoyance" (putting it very mildly!) the regime is causing to the fans.

This in no way excuses bad, and possibly actionable, conduct by other stewards, but is offered for balance.

Quite worrying the Stewards aren't briefed at least!?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Taxi_Lad said:

Playing devils advocate, I'd imagine that the Orient situation on Saturday prompted the huge steward presence. Hence they were deployed during the 2nd half but let people on at the end. When you use that many stewards there is bound to be a couple of wronguns. In the eyes of the FA, if the club had done nothing and we did an Orient, the club would have been negligent and no doubt fined heavily.

I think it is more a sign of the complete lack of understanding of the Charlton fans by Meire. There was no suggestion there would be violence and as far as I know there never has been in this kind of situation other than by stewards, so the levels of stewarding was the one thing more likely to provoke an incident.

As for the dozen or so mounted police in Floyd Road and the dozens of unsmiling police next to them, who on earth decided there were going to be season-end running battles? All I can think it that Tony and Katrien once again overstated the "threat" (to them and/or the club).

It also seems that the referee had decided/been told not to stop the game. After 2-3 minutes there were a lot of balloons in Rudd's third of the pitch but he let things flow, only briefly stopping when a flare came on. And at the end he blew right on 90, which as we all know never happens even if there have been no stoppages! Lucky it was not a tight game with things at stake.
  • Options
    As I remarked to one of the mounted policewomen, I'm sure any rose-growers in Floyd Road would be grateful for the horses' contribution to fertilizing the bushes.
    Was about the only useful service they were providing!
  • Options
    I'LL play devils advocate now.
    If someone decides to ignore all the warnings, the stewards and the OB. If they get a clump or kick up the arse, they should man up and just have a laugh about it later.
  • Options

I'LL play devils advocate now.
    If someone decides to ignore all the warnings, the stewards and the OB. If they get a clump or kick up the arse, they should man up and just have a laugh about it later.

Whilst I agree, why do the stewards/old Bill always go for the skinny 16 year old rather than a normal bloke who can look after himself?
    And I understand stopping people getting on the pitch. But once someone has made it into the pitch what is the point in chasing that one person in a crowd of a couple hundred pushing shoving and tripping them.

Stopping people getting on the pitch is their job. Once they're past you you've already lost. Any violence to them is just malicious and pointless.
  • Options
    I saw a few familiar faces on there posing for family photo's, not a steward in sight. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The massive overprovision of stewards and plod was as predictable as it was unwelcome but can't undermine the relationship between us and roly's toxic pantomime can it? It will presumably have cost the septuagenarian shitforbrains more unnecessary thousands. If a few bods, who need the money, got a few extra quid for wearing a hi-viz jacket and walking around the Valley pitch, all's well. Save for a couple of blue-jacketed fucktards it was a good day for the stewards and the company which creams off the lion's share of the fee. I don't even begrudge the overtime to most of the plod, all the while the belgian bungler is picking up the tab, unfortunately the hoolie squad glowering at us outside the station weren't quite so pleased to be earning on a Sunday lunchtime and a few of them looked quite keen for things to be less peaceful, but plod is always littered with a few of that species.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Taxi_Lad said:

I think it is more a sign of the complete lack of understanding of the Charlton fans by Meire. There was no suggestion there would be violence and as far as I know there never has been in this kind of situation other than by stewards, so the levels of stewarding was the one thing more likely to provoke an incident.

As for the dozen or so mounted police in Floyd Road and the dozens of unsmiling police next to them, who on earth decided there were going to be season-end running battles? All I can think it that Tony and Katrien once again overstated the "threat" (to them and/or the club).

It also seems that the referee had decided/been told not to stop the game. After 2-3 minutes there were a lot of balloons in Rudd's third of the pitch but he let things flow, only briefly stopping when a flare came on. And at the end he blew right on 90, which as we all know never happens even if there have been no stoppages! Lucky it was not a tight game with things at stake.

Probably why the game finished on exactly 90 mins - nothing at stake for either team.

I remember a game 25 years or so ago (last game of the season), when I was 4th match official at West Ham (v Wolves in the old division one).
    West Ham scored their fifth goal (5-1, as I recall) in the final minute. Unbeknown to me, the referee asked Steve Bull to blast the ball, straight from kick off, into the stand. Steve obliged, and all players and two of the three match officials sprinted off the pitch before a pitch invasion took place. The linesman on the far side (before officials were miked up) got caught up in the melee (albeit a good natured one)!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Ok, there were more stewards than I expected, but the club were told that, Charlton fans were going to "take back The Valley". It's hardly surprising that they planned for this.

If I'm correct, the reason the orange bibbed stewards let everyone on the pitch, is because they are not allowed to manhandle the public. The blue stewards can.

NB one of the blue bibs was a Charlton fan who lives in Peterboro now IIRC. I was chatting to him at Fleetwood A.
  • Options

Ok, there were more stewards than I expected, but the club were told that, Charlton fans were going to "take back The Valley". It's hardly surprising that they planned for this.

If I'm correct, the reason the orange bibbed stewards let everyone on the pitch, is because they are not allowed to manhandle the public. The blue stewards can.

NB one of the blue bibs was a Charlton fan who lives in Peterboro now IIRC. I was chatting to him at Fleetwood A.

If a blue steward tried to manhandle me I'm within my rights to defend myself.

If a police officer does it, different matter. But one of those idiots puts hands on me or another fan I would go batshit
  • Options

Yes that was me...
  • Options
    ^. Boooo. "Get a proper job"
    :smile: (joke)
  • Options

^. Boooo. "Get a proper job"
    :smile: (joke)

I retired from my proper job three years ago.

• Options
    Carter said:

If a blue steward tried to manhandle me I'm within my rights to defend myself.

If a police officer does it, different matter. But one of those idiots puts hands on me or another fan I would go batshit
    What if another fan had just punched you