Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland relegated

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2017

Davo55 said:

Sad for the Sunderland fans. I have everlasting respect and affection for them after the Play Off Final.

Been a long time coming though. Inevitable that they would go down sooner or later.

I went out to see a play today and was sat next to a couple of girls who were clearly together. Their accent was close to that of a real friend of mine and her mam who are/were maccams.

Turned out they came from just up the road to Sunderland and they remembered the play off final without me mentioning it.

Lot of respect for the maccams (not the club)</blockquote
    A bunch for sure. I fear for them next season as well.
  • Options
    On paper David Moyes sounded like a good manager to take them over and carry on the good work that Big Sam did. Ok Moyes didn't do it at man United but they are in a different league in terms of what they expect. And maybe a toughie in Spain. Buts seeing what he did with Everton it sounded good. But maybe the club was on a doowner. How would Big Sam have done?
  • Options

On paper David Moyes sounded like a good manager to take them over and carry on the good work that Big Sam did. Ok Moyes didn't do it at man United but they are in a different league in terms of what they expect. And maybe a toughie in Spain. Buts seeing what he did with Everton it sounded good. But maybe the club was on a doowner. How would Big Sam have done?

Surely a lot better. When Allardyce took over Palace at christmas they'd lost something like 8 out of 10 game and were only 3 points off the bottom. The gap between them and Sunderland is now 17 points.
  • Options

Has Defoe put in a transfer request yet?

It's in his contract that he's granted an automatic free transfer on relegation, so no need!
  • Options
    There is just a general malaise about the club from owner down that I have not really seen before in the prem.
  • Options

Surely a lot better. When Allardyce took over Palace at christmas they'd lost something like 8 out of 10 game and were only 3 points off the bottom. The gap between them and Sunderland is now 17 points.
    With better players at Palace though.
  • Options
    Relegation is the best thing for Sunderland. Every year they've survived it's given another year of service to absolute jokers like Cattermole, Larsson, O'Shea and the rest. Players who signed for Sunderland on outrageous salaries and then decided not to bother being footballers anymore. The board also went to the Meire school of negotiating and had players like Fletcher on what felt like 400 year contracts that they couldn't shift. At least by going down they can clear out the useless lumps who were happy to sit and pick up their paychecks and they have the chance to rebuild
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back to back relegations looming.

Where does it end for them?

A more spectacular decline than our own after dropping out of The Premier League. You have to wonder how they're going to turn things around from here.

An even more bleak future than our own.
  • Options
    Serves them right for letting Jimmy Seed go after he was gassed twice in WW1.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Serves them right for letting Jimmy Seed go after he was gassed twice in WW1.

You’ve got to let go it go !
    Perhaps, the South Stand could be renamed the James Seed Stand? :smile:

• Options
    Always wondered why the stand was called that. Who is he then?
  • Options
    Looking at Stoke tonight for example, they’re likely to go down with an awful lot of shit on big wages in the same way Sunderland did. It’s really the ugly side of modern football for me. English clubs handing over silly money for some shit subprime foreign talent, and then getting relegated for the privilege of it

I was looking at Stoke’s team and thinking, I don’t know who some of these players are and they’re gonna be off as soon as relegation is confirmed, whilst if you’re a fan, your club are likely gonna have to start again etc. Some of them don’t even leave. They drop down into the championship and become even more abysmal. It’s when I get wound up for young English talent
  • Options
    Decent fixture next year for a change.
  • Options

I bet our away fixture at Sunderland will be on a Tuesday night
    Agree, that's usually how our luck pans out.

The clubs do have some say on when fixtures take place, or are at least allowed to make requests. Would have thought both us and them would want it on a Saturday, maximise gate receipts for one of the more attractive/least unappealing fixtures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

I bet our away fixture at Sunderland will be on a Tuesday night
    Agree, that's usually how our luck pans out.

The clubs do have some say on when fixtures take place, or are at least allowed to make requests. Would have thought both us and them would want it on a Saturday, maximise gate receipts for one of the more attractive/least unappealing fixtures.
    Will you go by train?
  • Options

East coast main line does not go through Lincoln

#knowyourrailways

As long as he’s marooned somewhere a’la his daily commute that’s all that matters
  • Options
    cabbles said:

East coast main line does not go through Lincoln

#knowyourrailways

As long as he’s marooned somewhere a’la his daily commute that’s all that matters
    Clearly if I was stranded on East Coast Mainline it could only be at Grantham, the birthplace of Maggie Thatcher, who laid the foundations for her successors to flog off our rail network to the likes of South Eastern.

And if I was stranded in Grantham, I can assure you that the sounds of a Revenue Protection Officer being given an enema with his own blood would travel all the way to the Stadium of Light.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Looking at Stoke tonight for example, they’re likely to go down with an awful lot of shit on big wages in the same way Sunderland did. It’s really the ugly side of modern football for me. English clubs handing over silly money for some shit subprime foreign talent, and then getting relegated for the privilege of it

I was looking at Stoke’s team and thinking, I don’t know who some of these players are and they’re gonna be off as soon as relegation is confirmed, whilst if you’re a fan, your club are likely gonna have to start again etc. Some of them don’t even leave. They drop down into the championship and become even more abysmal. It’s when I get wound up for young English talent

For Sunderland this year, look at Stoke for next year.

They will have the devils own job getting some of those higher paid players off the payroll, and as you say most of them will be happy to graze lazily in the Championship for a while.

Meanwhile all of the laonees (Kurt Zouma) will return to their parent clubs will pockets full of cash, and caring not a jot for the club they have left behind.

Similar with West Brom - how many of those players will thrive in the Championship?

Funnily enough Southampton will probably come staright back up, as they are armed with bundles of cash from sales of players like Van Djik, and also have just about the best youth policy in the country.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Relegation is the best thing for Sunderland. Every year they've survived it's given another year of service to absolute jokers like Cattermole, Larsson, O'Shea and the rest. Players who signed for Sunderland on outrageous salaries and then decided not to bother being footballers anymore. The board also went to the Meire school of negotiating and had players like Fletcher on what felt like 400 year contracts that they couldn't shift. At least by going down they can clear out the useless lumps who were happy to sit and pick up their paychecks and they have the chance to rebuild

That worked out well B)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    cabbles said:

But they also have someone like Shakiri, who hasn't fulfilled his potential but at one point looked like one of the best young players in Europe. Plus Affellay, Martins Indi, Jese, there is a lot of talent there. Inconsistent sure, but definite talent. But if you hire Mark Hughes and then Paul Lambert to coach that talent, don't be surprised when results are poor. For all the talk of young English players, Stoke don't seem to produce any academy graduates. But they do keep rubbish British managers in jobs. And the fact of the matter is that British managers just aren't good enough to coach in the Premier League anymore, and things won't get better until we realize that and start dealing with underlying problems.
  • Options
    I am setting the countdown clock on administration. I give it 24 months.

League One - check
    double relegation - check
    poor economics of fan base area - check
    massive club right down the road - check
    losses way beyond FFP rules and transfer embargo coming - check
    debts of £130 million, with half owed to a bank - buh... bye.