Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2017

Comments

• Options
    Hol-ee-day over the sea? What is this thing?! Not had one in about 4 years. I forget how the sun caressed my skin, how I was able to swim in the ocean without fear of hypodermic needles and how you get that ridiculous libido boost, returning home super loved up for a few days before normality strikes.
  • Options
    Just put together a road trip in Dalmatia. Fly in to Split, stay 4 days. Pick up hire car - drive the coast road to Dubrovnik. Stay 3 days in a nearby village.
    Drive to Perast on the bay of Kotor - Montenegro, 3 days here then drop the car at Dubrovnik and fly home. Leaving 10th September.

Sasa Illic has his hotel in Perast, although at 250 euro's/night its out of my budget, hope to visit though.

Interesting that i was last in the area exactly 50 years ago -( blimey time fly's ) Am expecting a lot of hotel build up.
  • Options
    Has anyone been to Bugibba in Malta? We are thinking of going there in September. If you have been, would you recommend it?
  • Options

Just put together a road trip in Dalmatia. Fly in to Split, stay 4 days. Pick up hire car - drive the coast road to Dubrovnik. Stay 3 days in a nearby village.
    Drive to Perast on the bay of Kotor - Montenegro, 3 days here then drop the car at Dubrovnik and fly home. Leaving 10th September.

Sasa Illic has his hotel in Perast, although at 250 euro's/night its out of my budget, hope to visit though.

Interesting that i was last in the area exactly 50 years ago -( blimey time fly's ) Am expecting a lot of hotel build up.

Wow, you were a real pioneer. I went to Rabac in Istria in 1972 with school mates to celebrate leaving, and had such a great time, I returned twice. Was in Istria again in 2013, so drove to Rabac and had a look. Probably three times the size. Building up the hillsides. On some beaches, not a cm of space. But if I looked carefully (and listened, and smelt) the old magic of the place was there.

I'm also interested in Sasa's place, would love to meet him, but that's quite a price. What does it include though? He's offering some kind of health and wellness package, isn't he? When I read his blurb, he was almost owning up to past epic consumption of alcohol, which he had now turned his back on.

• Options

Has anyone been to Bugibba in Malta? We are thinking of going there in September. If you have been, would you recommend it?

You just made that up... :smiley:
  • Options
    Prague ; Our road trip in 1967. In my mate's austin A35 van. 12500 miles to Tehran and back! So innocent and naive in those days.

So many adventures, for example we were arrested twice in Turkey. Nevertheless the Dalmatian coast was probably the most beautiful stretch. The coast road had only just been built I believe, there was literally only one or two cars on the road.

No idea what Sasa's hotel package includes, its almost certainly to much for the wife and I.
    A little group of cafc supporters have an idea - we might pay him a flying visit next spring, I believe you know 'biginBrasov' ? We have first to see if he is up for it.

From the internet pics, Perast and the bay of Kotor looks absolutely stunning.
  • Options

Yes and yes. Went a few years ago & going back in September. Lovely place
  • Options
    Currently in Cornwall having a cheeky week on the North coast near Watergate Bay. Having a pampering day today with the missus in the Watergate Bay Hotel.

Coffees early doors, spot of lunch then I have just spent the last hour laying on a couch while a very pretty lady gave me a back, shoulder and neck massage and finished off with an Indian head massage.

Now sitting in the lounge with a glass of bubbly looking through the biggest window I have ever seen over the beach watching the surfers.

It's a tough life but someone has to do it.
  • Options
    I hope the Indian paid for his share.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I stayed in St Julian's, but visited Bugibba - really nice place. Malta is such a small Island that you can visit somewhere different every day. Make sure you visit "The Pub" in Valetta, the place where Oliver Reed does, after a marathon session.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Currently in Cornwall having a cheeky week on the North coast near Watergate Bay. Having a pampering day today with the missus in the Watergate Bay Hotel.

Coffees early doors, spot of lunch then I have just spent the last hour laying on a couch while a very pretty lady gave me a back, shoulder and neck massage and finished off with an Indian head massage.

Now sitting in the lounge with a glass of bubbly looking through the biggest window I have ever seen over the beach watching the surfers.

It's a tough life but someone has to do it.

I've never been finished off by a head massage before.
  • Options

Prague ; Our road trip in 1967. In my mate's austin A35 van. 12500 miles to Tehran and back! So innocent and naive in those days.

So many adventures, for example we were arrested twice in Turkey. Nevertheless the Dalmatian coast was probably the most beautiful stretch. The coast road had only just been built I believe, there was literally only one or two cars on the road.

No idea what Sasa's hotel package includes, its almost certainly to much for the wife and I.
    A little group of cafc supporters have an idea - we might pay him a flying visit next spring, I believe you know 'biginBrasov' ? We have first to see if he is up for it.

Couple of questions. One a bit off topic for "holidays 2017", but what is your recollection of Tehran?

More pertinently, is Dubrovnik the nearest airport for Sasa's place, with a direct flight? I asked my Serbian buddy (who is still trying to get his head around the whole Sasa phenomenon) and he mentioned a couple of other places I had never heard of, but they were flights from Belgrade.

• Options
    The nearest airport to Sasa's hotel ( the Monte Bay Retreat ) is Tivat. Which is in Montenegro so no borders to cross, and taking info from the hotel website its only a 35 minuet drive - airport to hotel. A number of european airlines fly into Tivat. Podgorica airport is listed as being around 1 3/4 hrs drive to Perast.

Dubrovnik airport - to Perast is listed as between 1hr 20 and 1 hr 45 mins driving depending on the border crossing delays. However i have found a lot more flights going to Dub'k - at civilized times. Mostly EasyJet Course i'm leaving from London not Prague!
  • Options

The nearest airport to Sasa's hotel ( the Monte Bay Retreat ) is Tivat. Which is in Montenegro so no borders to cross, and taking info from the hotel website its only a 35 minuet drive - airport to hotel. A number of european airlines fly into Tivat. Podgorica airport is listed as being around 1 3/4 hrs drive to Perast.

Dubrovnik airport - to Perast is listed as between 1hr 20 and 1 hr 45 mins driving depending on the border crossing delays. However i have found a lot more flights going to Dub'k - at civilized times. Mostly EasyJet Course i'm leaving from London not Prague!

Tivat, that's the one he mentioned. From Prague direct only Dubrovnik is an option. But then I have never been to Dubrovnik, that could be the way to persuade the wife.

• Options
    My memories of Tehran are limited. The traffic was the worst of the whole trip i do remember. My mate had Armenian friends living their, we stayed at there apartment. Had the front hydraulic suspension of our van repaired by an Armenian mechanic very cheaply. When the handbook said it could only be done at a main dealers with a special tool !

Stayed around a week if I remember, no hassles at all. Of course the Shah was in power at that time. We took a trip to the Caspian sea one day, just a 1 hour drive away over a nice cool mountain. The whole trip was probably the biggest experience/influence of my life.
  • Options

My memories of Tehran are limited. The traffic was the worst of the whole trip i do remember. My mate had Armenian friends living their, we stayed at there apartment. Had the front hydraulic suspension of our van repaired by an Armenian mechanic very cheaply. When the handbook said it could only be done at a main dealers with a special tool !

Stayed around a week if I remember, no hassles at all. Of course the Shah was in power at that time. We took a trip to the Caspian sea one day, just a 1 hour drive away over a nice cool mountain. The whole trip was probably the biggest experience/influence of my life.

Greatly admire that. As late as the early 80s, it was fashionable for middle class young people to head to Australia overland, and the favoured route definitely included Afghanistan and possibly still Iran too. Obligatory was a stop in Kashmir on a houseboat in Srinagar. My best mate and I contemplated this at the time. I bottled completely, and instead flew to Oz where my girlfriend was then, with a short stopover in KL and Singapore. He half bottled, he flew with his girlfriend to India, and on from there. But they settled in Sydney, and are still there now.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

For someone who had only had one holiday between 1996 and 2014, I'm badly missing not going anywhere this summer.

1 holiday in 18 years!! That's crazy! What did you do with all your time off?
  • Options

heavenSE7 said:

Mrs is 30 this October so looking for something a bit special. Had our heart set on Croatia Island hopping finished off with 4 nights in Hvar but reading reviews and advice online it appears most of Croatia shuts down 2nd week of October.

Any recommendations for sun, exploring but also a bit of relaxing!

Last October we went to Dubrovnik followed by a beautiful bay called Kotor in Montenegro. We went on 5th Oct for 4 / 5 days - 2 days in Dub, 2 days Kotor and allowed a day travelling in between (it's a 2 hour coach ride via 2 visa). Was a little stormy at times, but was always warm and the storms although fierce passed quite quickly. creating spectacular skylines off the high point in Kotor and on the walls in Dubrovnik.
    Agree 100%, Montenegro a brilliant place

Perast is lovely. Other accommodation options of course, then pop into Sasa's for a (seaweed-based?) drink..
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I have just booked Kalamaki in Zante again for next year. We liked the area and particularly the beach with it's warm waters but we were disappointed with the all inclusive hotel we stayed in this year. So I have booked to stay at Denny's Inn on a B&B basis and plan to try all the different restaurants each night. I booked direct with the hotel, have got decent flights with BA and return taxi transfers and it's come out at £200 cheaper than booking the same hotel with Thomas Cook.
  • Options
    Re Kalamaki if we can opt out of transfers we do as it's only €15 and you are often the last drop off!

On restaurants I would recommend Heaven's Kitchen (on the main strip) and Georgia's (on road to beach at far end of the resort. Rainbow and Michelo's are also very much recommended.

Heading back there early Aug ourselves and it's worked out cheaper than the May half term.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So this is the beach we were on last Wednesday. Any guesses where?

Just catching up with this thread.

You sure you haven't got your pictures muddled up? Looks more like Margate to me.
  • Options

Yes, but its very much the area brits live and holiday, you will get shepherds pie and English beer there. We stayed in Qwra next door they sort of merge into each other and that's the same.
  • Options
    CAN'T F***ING COME QUICK ENOUGH !!!!
  • Options

CAN'T F***ING COME QUICK ENOUGH !!!!

Stop drinking
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

For someone who had only had one holiday between 1996 and 2014, I'm badly missing not going anywhere this summer.

1 holiday in 18 years!! That's crazy! What did you do with all your time off?
    I don't feel I've missed out. Circumstances were different. I have lived apart from my daughter since 2008 so spent the majority of my time having long weekends with her before she started school and then not working the school summer holidays after. When I was living on my own before I met my wife, I could barely afford to put food on the table let alone think about holidays.
  • Options
    Just booked Sandals St Lucia next March for 10 days me and the missus.
  • Options

Re Kalamaki if we can opt out of transfers we do as it's only €15 and you are often the last drop off!

On restaurants I would recommend Heaven's Kitchen (on the main strip) and Georgia's (on road to beach at far end of the resort. Rainbow and Michelo's are also very much recommended.

Heading back there early Aug ourselves and it's worked out cheaper than the May half term.

Thanks for the tips on the restaurants. We will certainly look out for them.

The transfers I have booked are by private taxi. It works out to 33 euros return so not much more expensive than what you do.

• Options

Just booked Sandals St Lucia next March for 10 days me and the missus.

Very nice, went there a few years ago, some great restaurants on the complex.
  • Options
    Finally got a holiday booked yesterday! lads one Kavos during my 30th in 3 and a half weeks. 4 of us going, i imagine the hotel will be rubbish as its dirt cheap. But happy to be going away finally after talking about it for so long and all of a sudden its booked :)

Going Waymouth area with family Monday for a week too :) two types of holiday i need, a chilled one and then a messy/dirty one!