Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2017

Comments

• Options
    Just booked a week in Malta in September
  • Options
    Will be all quiet from me for a week as I am off to a Eastern Mediterranean cruise on Thursday, Dubrovnik, Greek Islands, Corfu and Montenegro. Hopefully when I get back Holmes and Josh Magennis will have signed extensions and Reeves, Martin and DaSilva will have signed. Got to have some hope while away. :smile:
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Off to the south of France (Brive) in a couple of weeks. Going to wear full camouflage in case @i_b_b_o_r_g spots me!

Great town bud, let me know if you want to buy me a coke zero
    I'll be in Souillac, about 25 mins away.
    Very nice. Sarlat is lovely and Rocamador just down the road. I used to live about 80 mins away.
    Where you live now then @Bournemouth Addick ?
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Red_James said:

Booked a holiday to Mauritius for next March for 2 weeks for me, the missus and our son who will be 15 months old when we go.

Has anyone been/can recommend any trips/restaurants etc?

A few ideas from me: You can walk with (untethered) lions, if that is your cup of tea, and pet cheetahs in the same complex. You can walk on the bottom of the bay (about 8ft deep) wearing an upsidedown fish bowl on your head with a link to oxygen. There is a huge market in the capital Port Louis, which is very close to a huge bus terminal, which serves the whole island. Local bus services are very cheap and very frequent.
    We walked with the lions when we were out there two years ago, amazing experience. We were half board so ate in the hotel most nights.

15 month old on a long haul flight...................good luck :smiley:
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Off to the south of France (Brive) in a couple of weeks. Going to wear full camouflage in case @i_b_b_o_r_g spots me!

Very nice. Sarlat is lovely and Rocamador just down the road. I used to live about 80 mins away.
    Where you live now then @Bournemouth Addick ?
    Southbourne.

;-)
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Red_James said:

Booked a holiday to Mauritius for next March for 2 weeks for me, the missus and our son who will be 15 months old when we go.

Has anyone been/can recommend any trips/restaurants etc?

A few ideas from me: You can walk with (untethered) lions, if that is your cup of tea, and pet cheetahs in the same complex. You can walk on the bottom of the bay (about 8ft deep) wearing an upsidedown fish bowl on your head with a link to oxygen. There is a huge market in the capital Port Louis, which is very close to a huge bus terminal, which serves the whole island. Local bus services are very cheap and very frequent.
    We walked with the lions when we were out there two years ago, amazing experience. We were half board so ate in the hotel most nights.

15 month old on a long haul flight...................good luck :smiley:
    Thank you both, yes we are half board so will more than likley stay and eat their.

Didn't know about the lions would be very interested in doing that!

Yeah thats the only part we are dreading is the long flight but we have managed to get 2 seats on their own and asked for the cot bed thing that they can sit and sleep in
  • Options
    UK for 2 weeks - highlight of which will be the game v Bristol Rovers on the 5th!
  • Options
    Oakster said:

UK for 2 weeks - highlight of which will be the game v Bristol Rovers on the 5th!

That's the highlight? Where are you staying, Bermondsey?
  • Options

Oakster said:

That's the highlight? Where are you staying, Bermondsey?
    The Mother-in-Laws!
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

I know of both, I go a couple of times a year! Going to row from Meyronne to Souillac too, always a highlight of the holiday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

I know of both, I go a couple of times a year! Going to row from Meyronne to Souillac too, always a highlight of the holiday
    I've been to both an all. Nice part of the world!
  • Options

We have been back from Zante for Just a week now and we are already planning our 2018 hols. We may go back to Kalamaki on a half board basis instead of all inclusive and we are also really tempted by a lovely looking place in Turkey. We have a few doubts about safety but we are looking at the Altinkum area which is nearer to Greece and a long way from the Syrian border.

If considering half board in Kalamaki consider Meandros.
    Yes, we have looked at that one. We really liked the beach as the water was so shallow and warm so wherever we stay we need to be within walking distance. We stayed at the Bitzaro Palace which was about 6-7 mins walk, but we were not impressed with that hotel.

Are you staying at the Meandros?

Not stayed personally but my sister, her partner and their 18 month old spent a fortnight there in May. They spoke highly of it - staff, food, upkeep etc. Its an ok walk to the beach and the quieter end of the resort. You could do a lot worse.
  • Options
    Just booked up 10 days in Quinta do Lago in Portugal for September. First one with the baby.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Just booked up 10 days in Quinta do Lago in Portugal for September. First one with the baby.

I went Portugal first time I took my daughter away. Brilliant place as the flight isn't long and the people are so friendly and helpful.
  • Options

WSS said:

I went Portugal first time I took my daughter away. Brilliant place as the flight isn't long and the people are so friendly and helpful.
    Except @Algarveaddick :wink:
  • Options

5 days In Galgorm NI beautiful hotel and good base for exploring the giants causeway area.April
    6 Days In Cape Town with work though April
    4 Days Ibiza June
    5 Nantes August
    Week in the Algarve Gale.

Would like to do something like the Black forest in October if I can get time

If you come into town give me a shout and we'll meet up for a pint - or if you fancy a quiz I host one twice a week at The Arte Bar...
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    LenGlover said:

WSS said:

Except @Algarveaddick :wink:
    Bollocks... :lol:
  • Options
    Christ, this year has just been wiped out. We cancelled our long-awaited trip to Vietnam in February because my father-in-law was taken ill and once he was diagnosed with not long left, we didn't think it was appropriate to book anything until the inevitable happened, although we managed to get away to Rome in March for our Wedding Anniversary.

The FIL sadly passed away in May, so the last 6 weeks or so have been bloody horrible but the wife feels as though its time now to start thinking about holidays. Unfortunately we're having building work done at home at the moment and it looks very likely to over-run to the end of August now, so the summer holidays have been wiped out then September & October we've got 3 weddings, 3 stag/hens, literally every week something is going on. Grrr.

So the plan is to wait for the sales then book flights to Port Elizabeth via Capetown for New Year, going to try to get out to see our friends in LA for a couple of weeks and then anything else is bonus.

For someone who had only had one holiday between 1996 and 2014, I'm badly missing not going anywhere this summer.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that John, sounds like you both deserve a good break.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Having been through 5 months of hell with the FIL and living the last 3 and a bit months in a building site, it hasn't been easy this year but hey, onwards and upwards!
    At least my trip to see my brother & his family in Liverpool in September coincides with Everton v Spurs. I'll get to see how good the new Everton team is lol.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Christ, this year has just been wiped out. We cancelled our long-awaited trip to Vietnam in February because my father-in-law was taken ill and once he was diagnosed with not long left, we didn't think it was appropriate to book anything until the inevitable happened, although we managed to get away to Rome in March for our Wedding Anniversary.

The FIL sadly passed away in May, so the last 6 weeks or so have been bloody horrible but the wife feels as though its time now to start thinking about holidays. Unfortunately we're having building work done at home at the moment and it looks very likely to over-run to the end of August now, so the summer holidays have been wiped out then September & October we've got 3 weddings, 3 stag/hens, literally every week something is going on. Grrr.

So the plan is to wait for the sales then book flights to Port Elizabeth via Capetown for New Year, going to try to get out to see our friends in LA for a couple of weeks and then anything else is bonus.

For someone who had only had one holiday between 1996 and 2014, I'm badly missing not going anywhere this summer.

Sorry to hear about your current situation.

However, Cape Town is such a wonderful city to visit.

The harbour (Q and E?) is a wonderful tourist area - lots of pubs/restaurants.
    Shark Cage diving
    Cape of Good Hope
    Penguin colony
    Robben Island
    Whale watching
    Table Mountain

Along with Sydney and New York, it ranks as my favourite city
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Shark Cage diving
    Cape of Good Hope
    Penguin colony
    Robben Island
    Whale watching
    Table Mountain

The plan is to fly to Port Elizabeth, drive to Hankey and stay with her best mate and her husband on his parents farm estate for New Year and then drive the garden route back to Cape Town. Planning on going for 3 weeks. The wife done the shark cage diving the last time she was there as she's got her PADI.
  • Options

Agreed definitely deserve a nice break, also as you have only had 1 holiday in 18 years, thats tough alone :(
  • Options

Agreed definitely deserve a nice break, also as you have only had 1 holiday in 18 years, thats tough alone :(
    Ha, don't need too much sympathy, have made up for it with 6 holidays in the last 2 years! To be fair, the 18 years didn't both me that much tbh. I was single a large amount of that time and with friends all paired off, I just didn't fancy travelling on my own as I really didn't enjoy flying. Thankfully, the fear is now a thing of the past!
  • Options
    ha, @JohnBoyUK if you went down in a shark cage then i'd get EDDIE IZZARD'S SECRET LOVER engraved into my forehead !!
  • Options

ha, @JohnBoyUK if you went down in a shark cage then i'd get EDDIE IZZARD'S SECRET LOVER engraved into my forehead !!

when I next see him around Bexhill I'll ask him if he's interested for you ;-))

• Options

Hahaha, f*ck that! never in a million years! I got claustrophobic when I went snorkeling in an underground cave in Mexico!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

PeterGage said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Shark Cage diving
    Cape of Good Hope
    Penguin colony
    Robben Island
    Whale watching
    Table Mountain

The plan is to fly to Port Elizabeth, drive to Hankey and stay with her best mate and her husband on his parents farm estate for New Year and then drive the garden route back to Cape Town. Planning on going for 3 weeks. The wife done the shark cage diving the last time she was there as she's got her PADI.
    The shark cage diving we did was based upon the principle that the top of the cage was above water, so there was no need for supplementary air supply. You just held you breath and dipped your head below the water line when one appeared.

On our second occasion a huge great white bit and shook the cage and was about 3 feet from my wife. I took a video of the incident and have footage of a gaping huge mouth! My wife still dines out on this true story!
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

JohnBoyUK said:

PeterGage said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Shark Cage diving
    Cape of Good Hope
    Penguin colony
    Robben Island
    Whale watching
    Table Mountain

The shark cage diving we did was based upon the principle that the top of the cage was above water, so there was no need for supplementary air supply. You just held you breath and dipped your head below the water line when one appeared.

On our second occasion a huge great white bit and shook the cage and was about 3 feet from my wife. I took a video of the incident and have footage of a gaping huge mouth! My wife still dines out on this true story!
    And what did the shark look like?