Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays 2017

Comments

• Thanks @Dazzler21 but I should have clarified. I've been to Crete twice but not to the Blue Palace which is what I was wanting to know about. If it's as nice as it looks I could be blown away but I'm used to slightly less flash places.
  • Well the reviews are widely good. However do seem to recommend a rental car.

Looks beautiful
  • 2 weeks in Puerto del Carmen (Lanza) with the family next month. Grateful for any tips from those who've been.
  • WSS said:

Looking to go abroad beginning of September with a 7 month old. Anywhere people recommend with a baby? Warm weather etc.

Unfortunately as you may not be aware, when you have young kids you have 4 weeks of work and 48 weeks of holiday rather than the other way around.
    Sunday is the new Friday?
  • Went to Orlando for two weeks in February, amazing!

Off to potters in Norfolk for 5 days in August
  • Has anyone been to Potters with children? If so, is the kids club any good? And, is the food child friendly?
  • Addick up north,not stopped in the blue palace but been to elounda 9 time's in 6 years. It's a cracking little harbour village. Get yourself to the alygos bar and sit outside the main bar ..not across the road.(you are literally on the pavement) have yourself a beer and watch the world go by ...magically. If you're all inclusive still get out and try and get a table at the lotus eaters.a trip to spinalonga might interest you.... A former leapa hospital island.take the blue train up into the mountains for a different afternoon out.we are back out in September.
  • You go to the leapa colony or the leper one....upto you!!!!
  • You go to the leapa colony or the leper one....upto you!!!!

Spinalonga, something like that. Went there years ago when I was little and we got a boat from Ag Nic. The captain claimed he was born there to lepers and had written a book about it all, turned out it was about 20 pages
  • Joanne hislop ( yes Ian's wife) wrote the book the island.... Very interesting.... So my good lady tells me
  • Sponsored links:

• Off to Center Parcs in the morning to meet up with my family who are already there.

Anyone considering Center Parcs this year would do well to think twice about Woburn. Nice that it's fairly new but the swimming centre is tiny compared to others and is packed as a result.
    Agreed, wasn't impressed at all.
    Elveden Forest for me
  • Best to go to plaka for a boat...only 6 euros ish to get across.
  • Or whatever it's called
  • Potters is fantastic for kids and although it's pretty pricey, all your activities are included when you get there!
  • And yes the food is child friendly
  • Off to Center Parcs in the morning to meet up with my family who are already there.

Anyone considering Center Parcs this year would do well to think twice about Woburn. Nice that it's fairly new but the swimming centre is tiny compared to others and is packed as a result.
    Agreed, wasn't impressed at all.
    Elveden Forest for me
    It's a joke mate. They're building more accommodation as well which will only make it worse. Probably hoping people will spend money elsewhere on activities.
  • Week in Falmouth in July with the Wife, bro and his Mrs.

Long weekend in Riga and Vilnius with the lads in Oct for Lithuania away.

Night in Edinburgh and Glasgow next weekend for the Jocks away.
  • Addick up north,not stopped in the blue palace but been to elounda 9 time's in 6 years. It's a cracking little harbour village. Get yourself to the alygos bar and sit outside the main bar ..not across the road.(you are literally on the pavement) have yourself a beer and watch the world go by ...magically. If you're all inclusive still get out and try and get a table at the lotus eaters.a trip to spinalonga might interest you.... A former leapa hospital island.take the blue train up into the mountains for a different afternoon out.we are back out in September.

Cheers for the tips @heckington_reds . Stayed in Ag Nic twice but fancied a change this time and having had a day out in Elounda once thought I'd give it a go. So looking forward to it, counting down the days.

• Back on Tues evening from a week in Tenerife , then have rented a house for a week at Lulworth, Dorset for the whole family (11of us) in August , then back to Tenerife for a week in October.
  • edited June 2017

Back on Tues evening from a week in Tenerife , then have rented a house for a week at Lulworth, Dorset for the whole family (11of us) in August , then back to Tenerife for a week in October.

Dorset is the best county in the country, enjoy! Obviously I'm biased having grown up there :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Wife had to fly home early as her Nan v.sick needing an op that is very touch and go. Hate to complain but she's left me with our son 8 and daughter 17 as there weren't enough seats available on the plane for us all.

The latter has over the last year turned into a dreadful horrible god knows what. Frankly I am glad she won't be joining us for the summer as she staying with a friend in the US. She constantly picks at her brother and us, and is irritable and nasty, knows it all, is bossy, controlling, argumentative and manipulative, and it's a constant flow.. I have heard others tell similar stories particulalry about their daughters.

To make matters worse although we've seen a lot of nice stuff and had a pretty good time, it looks like I won't get to see Florence - perhaps next time.
  • razil said:

The latter has over the last year turned into a dreadful horrible god knows what. Frankly I am glad she won't be joining us for the summer as she staying with a friend in the US. She constantly picks at her brother and us, and is irritable and nasty, knows it all, is bossy, controlling, argumentative and manipulative, and it's a constant flow..
    Frankly I am glad she won't be joining us for the summer as she staying with a friend..

Not Dubai by any chance?

• edited June 2017
    Mrs is 30 this October so looking for something a bit special. Had our heart set on Croatia Island hopping finished off with 4 nights in Hvar but reading reviews and advice online it appears most of Croatia shuts down 2nd week of October.

Any recommendations for sun, exploring but also a bit of relaxing!
  • Centre Parcs prices are ridiculous in this country especially during school holiday times. The restaurants are overpriced and every activity other than swimming is pricey. Gone for long weekends with mates/couples but don't know how people afford it as a family as literally everything is an extra cost.
  • edited June 2017
    razil said:

Wife had to fly home early as her Nan v.sick needing an op that is very touch and go. Hate to complain but she's left me with our son 8 and daughter 17 as there weren't enough seats available on the plane for us all.

The latter has over the last year turned into a dreadful horrible god knows what. Frankly I am glad she won't be joining us for the summer as she staying with a friend in the US. She constantly picks at her brother and us, and is irritable and nasty, knows it all, is bossy, controlling, argumentative and manipulative, and it's a constant flow.. I have heard others tell similar stories particulalry about their daughters.

To make matters worse although we've seen a lot of nice stuff and had a pretty good time, it looks like I won't get to see Florence - perhaps next time.

• Perhaps for another thread, but how do you cope?
  • Welcome to my world Razil
  • Welcome to my world Razil

indeed, the world of teenage children.
  • heavenSE7 said:

Mrs is 30 this October so looking for something a bit special. Had our heart set on Croatia Island hopping finished off with 4 nights in Hvar but reading reviews and advice online it appears most of Croatia shuts down 2nd week of October.

Any recommendations for sun, exploring but also a bit of relaxing!

Last October we went to Dubrovnik followed by a beautiful bay called Kotor in Montenegro. We went on 5th Oct for 4 / 5 days - 2 days in Dub, 2 days Kotor and allowed a day travelling in between (it's a 2 hour coach ride via 2 visa). Was a little stormy at times, but was always warm and the storms although fierce passed quite quickly. creating spectacular skylines off the high point in Kotor and on the walls in Dubrovnik.