Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Returning to Golf.

Comments

• Options
    ChiAddick said:

Out of interest did both of you have to show your handicap cards at The Belfry?

I was with a group organised by the pro at our club so, if any certification was required, he sorted it.

• Options
    nope no hadicaps required, I saw some proper hackers there too. I think the place is just after generating lots of cash so they allow all levels
  • Options
    anyone manage to play the Brabazon course there ?? I've played there twice, one on a corporate gig, but still didn't get to play on the iconic course - really wanted to play the signature hole, the short par 4, 10th.

Re playing off the Championship tees. Played at Collingtree Park in Northampton & played the 18 off the white tees - 600 yards par 5, with OOB down the right & water down the left, onto an island green. I made a 15.

RE handicap certificates. a lot of courses say you need them but the vast majority never ask for them. Only place where I HAD to show it was at Royal St Georges & you couldn't play unless it was 18 or under. I was playing to 19 at Barnehurst at the time (19.2 to be precise) so entered the monthly medal for the next 6 months and got my handicap down to 18.4 - next month I played RSG & proudly showed my new handicap cert showing 18. Never got it lower than that.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Played the Rookwood course in Horsham recently... I live opposite so no reason not to.

Don't understand the ''I play off of XYZ'' comments.

The 18 is a par 72? Think that means a decent golfer gets round in 72...

Well not me. Nope I did it in 147.

Was usually on the putting green in the same number as the holes par stated... That's where my game fell apart.

I am just not delicate enough at putting... It's not the same as crazy golf where you can rely on rebounds to get you in the hole... (cue Mehmet)

Anyway that was the first time I'd played in 15 years and I loved it.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Out of interest did both of you have to show your handicap cards at The Belfry?

I've played it twice and never had to show a handicap card.
  • Options

nope no hadicaps required, I saw some proper hackers there too. I think the place is just after generating lots of cash so they allow all levels

I haven't hacked the grass up since the first time I played!

I've played 3 times in my life.

2 x 9 hole when I was young and then the other day.

If you're hitting more ground and grass than ball you're doing it wrong :lol:
  • Options
    Do we have to?
  • Options
    Played a couple of rounds at Bowood (Wilts) on Sun / Mon, my first rounds in about 4yrs. A whopping 22pts first round. Then I figured how to use my driver again and how to not leave every putt woefully short and came out with 33pts second round.

Lovely course, but quite a tricky one! Not an ideal place to start when getting back into the game.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Played the Rookwood course in Horsham recently... I live opposite so no reason not to.

Was usually on the putting green in the same number as the holes par stated... That's where my game fell apart.

I am just not delicate enough at putting... It's not the same as crazy golf where you can rely on rebounds to get you in the hole... (cue Mehmet)

Reminds me of the joke about the bloke with the elephant playing golf (cant be bothered to repeat it here)

Looks like you need to practice a bit of putting my friend. No decent golfer should take any more than 3 putts on a hole, apart from playing Augusta or Epsom Downs !!
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Reminds me of the joke about the bloke with the elephant playing golf (cant be bothered to repeat it here)

Looks like you need to practice a bit of putting my friend. No decent golfer should take any more than 3 putts on a hole, apart from playing Augusta or Epsom Downs !!
    I have started going with a few beginners recently, not to make myself look good but some of my mates have just taken up the game. I myself am not very good / below average and played 2 18 holes this year both not threatening to break 100. I find putting is the area of the game if you improve you will help your score best.

One of the newbies was probably hitting the green before me and 4 putting on average, just whacks it and hopes really and takes no consideration into the pace of the green. I find if im putting bad i can 3 put on a easy course too but then find the rest of my game is up to scratch.

Funny game one week off the tee is working, next it will be chips around the green (usually my strongest) then putting another. if only could string them altogether i might be ok at this game :) Going to have some lessons now though as 2 18's i got 110/115 , not terrible but consistency is where i struggle can normally make the odd par/ birdie.

Love the game though and trying to play it more often, my 14 year old bro is probably better and hits as far though :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017
    the old adage of "drive for show, putt for dough" is so right. I am probably one of the shortest hitters off the tee & if playing with others players of my ability will be constantly 20 or 30 yards behind them off the tee. However, my short game is pretty good & find I can usually get down in 2 or 3 from anywhere from 80 yards out. Many times I've heard players moaning that they took 5 or 6 shots on a hole, but were there or thereabouts after 2. (on a par 4)

They also say that if you've not played for a while then the first thing to go is your short game. I have never seen the fascination (or enjoyment) of going to the driving range & hitting ball after ball, soaring it out past the 250 yard marker. You only hit around 14 tee shots with a wood during a round but over double that with a putter. Lots of golf clubs have a short game area with a bunker & chipping / putting green. Practice here & you will cut at least half a dozen strokes off your score.
  • Options

the old adage of "drive for show, putt for dough" is so right. I am probably one of the shortest hitters off the tee & if playing with others players of my ability will be constantly 20 or 30 yards behind them off the tee. However, my short game is pretty good & find I can usually get down in 2 or 3 from anywhere from 80 yards out. Many times I've heard players moaning that they took 5 or 6 shots on a hole, but were there or thereabouts after 2. (on a par 4)

They also say that if you've not played for a while then the first thing to go is your short game. I have never seen the fascination (or enjoyment) of going to the driving range & hitting ball after ball, soaring it out past the 250 yard marker. You only hit around 14 tee shots with a wood during a round but over double that with a putter. Lots of golf clubs have a short game area with a bunker & chipping / putting green. Practice here & you will cut at least half a dozen strokes off your score.

Good advice there, i mainly play 9 hole par3's (with a par 4 thrown in) so thats probably why its my strongest area the chipping around the green. Lately my drives have been decent but only have to use it once on the course i go to normally, Does anyone here play Hever? i play that on the odd occasion and thats a proper 9 hole that only has 2 par 3's and they are the hardest holes (over lakes) one 170 yards over one which is quite intimidating. I think i averaged around 2 over a hole or just over the other day was ok not great but included an 8 on the par 3 as i put it in the water twice lol

Do want to try and play more 18's though and the bug has been catching but lacking the confidence when i go backwards one round feel the need to keep playing the 9 holes to try and adjust. Next year might get a membership so that way i will just default play 18 holes rather than 9
  • Options

Good advice there, i mainly play 9 hole par3's (with a par 4 thrown in) so thats probably why its my strongest area the chipping around the green. Lately my drives have been decent but only have to use it once on the course i go to normally, Does anyone here play Hever? i play that on the odd occasion and thats a proper 9 hole that only has 2 par 3's and they are the hardest holes (over lakes) one 170 yards over one which is quite intimidating. I think i averaged around 2 over a hole or just over the other day was ok not great but included an 8 on the par 3 as i put it in the water twice lol

Do want to try and play more 18's though and the bug has been catching but lacking the confidence when i go backwards one round feel the need to keep playing the 9 holes to try and adjust. Next year might get a membership so that way i will just default play 18 holes rather than 9
    Where do you live ?? Barnehurst is a short 18 holer although I've not played it since they changed it around a few years back. Used to be a 9 holer that you play twice with most of the par 4's around the 300 yard mark. Only tough par 4 was the 8th, stroke index 1 as it was over 400 yards & slightly up hill - birdied it once. Played with Killer's son there once in a competition - low handicapper & hit it miles.

• Options

anyone manage to play the Brabazon course there ?? I've played there twice, one on a corporate gig, but still didn't get to play on the iconic course - really wanted to play the signature hole, the short par 4, 10th.

Re playing off the Championship tees. Played at Collingtree Park in Northampton & played the 18 off the white tees - 600 yards par 5, with OOB down the right & water down the left, onto an island green. I made a 15.

RE handicap certificates. a lot of courses say you need them but the vast majority never ask for them. Only place where I HAD to show it was at Royal St Georges & you couldn't play unless it was 18 or under. I was playing to 19 at Barnehurst at the time (19.2 to be precise) so entered the monthly medal for the next 6 months and got my handicap down to 18.4 - next month I played RSG & proudly showed my new handicap cert showing 18. Never got it lower than that.

Played the Brabazon 6 weeks before the Ryder Cup was due to be played there in 2001. All the stands were being prepared and the course was being closed a few days after we played there. The Course was in perfect condition but after 9/11 the event was cancelled for a year.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Played the Brabazon 6 weeks before the Ryder Cup was due to be played there in 2001. All the stands were being prepared and the course was being closed a few days after we played there. The Course was in perfect condition but after 9/11 the event was cancelled for a year.
    I managed to play Walton Heath the day after the US Open qualifier in 2006. You weren't allowed to pre-book at tee time as the course was officially closed as they may have had to have a play-off or finish off the final round in case of inclement weather. Neither of those happened so we rocked up & played both courses (Old Course is obviously better) - all paid for by my Broker Sales Consultant at a rather known Insurance Company.
  • Options

Where do you live ?? Barnehurst is a short 18 holer although I've not played it since they changed it around a few years back. Used to be a 9 holer that you play twice with most of the par 4's around the 300 yard mark. Only tough par 4 was the 8th, stroke index 1 as it was over 400 yards & slightly up hill - birdied it once.
    Barnehurst is still a 9 hole. They've just added a range and the 1st has been moved away from the 9th so you play along the edge of the park.
  • Options
    I play a similar game to golf called 'whack, FUCK!!!'
    I've bought a set of clubs and intend to take up the game, my aim at the moment is to have a round where I only lose 1-2 balls, instead of the 4-5 I'm losing at the moment! The issue is if balls go into the scrub here, it's a risk retrieving them and risk getting bitten by a venomous snake and dying! It ups the stakes of the game somewhat!
    It's a very difficult game to master, I'm going to have lessons and hope I improve enough to gain some consistency.
  • Options

Where do you live ?? Barnehurst is a short 18 holer although I've not played it since they changed it around a few years back. Used to be a 9 holer that you play twice with most of the par 4's around the 300 yard mark. Only tough par 4 was the 8th, stroke index 1 as it was over 400 yards & slightly up hill - birdied it once. Played with Killer's son there once in a competition - low handicapper & hit it miles.

I live in Sevenoaks, Hever is closest. Well i havent played Knole or Wilderness, my brother has with his friends. I go Poult wood alot as friends in Tonbridge and have played a few other courses locally, used to play Birchwood when i was younger and cousin lived in Swanley
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

I play a similar game to golf called 'whack, FUCK!!!'
    I've bought a set of clubs and intend to take up the game, my aim at the moment is to have a round where I only lose 1-2 balls, instead of the 4-5 I'm losing at the moment! The issue is if balls go into the scrub here, it's a risk retrieving them and risk getting bitten by a venomous snake and dying! It ups the stakes of the game somewhat!
    It's a very difficult game to master, I'm going to have lessons and hope I improve enough to gain some consistency.

First part made me laugh :D haha

I used to measure the same, no balls lost = good round :) Dont lose too many now but do, especially to the water on 6th (i think) Hever 9 hole it scares me lol. On Poult wood i shouldnt really lose any unless i'm playing bad, Hever 9 hole a few potential loses so usually lose a couple
  • Options

I live in Sevenoaks, Hever is closest. Well i havent played Knole or Wilderness, my brother has with his friends. I go Poult wood alot as friends in Tonbridge and have played a few other courses locally, used to play Birchwood when i was younger and cousin lived in Swanley
    I've only ever played the 18 hole course at Hever so cant judge the merits of the 9 hole course. Poult Wood is a shortish 18 hole course (won my first ever Trophy there so always hold fond memories for me) but Knowle & Wildernese may be a bit of a step up to be honest. Birchwood & Pedham Place are good for those wishing to step up from 9 holes to the full 18 & aren't that costly either. Lullingstone is another, but only if you like sidehill lies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've only ever played the 18 hole course at Hever so cant judge the merits of the 9 hole course. Poult Wood is a shortish 18 hole course (won my first ever Trophy there so always hold fond memories for me) but Knowle & Wildernese may be a bit of a step up to be honest. Birchwood & Pedham Place are good for those wishing to step up from 9 holes to the full 18 & aren't that costly either. Lullingstone is another, but only if you like sidehill lies.
    9 hole is good Golfie, i have yet to play the 18 although my brother has alot. its like doing a front 9 really on a normal course, the way i see it Poult Wood is Beginner, Hever 9 is next step up beginner-intermediate. Quite like 18 @ Poult Wood when i played it a few months ago, played one in Edenbridge last month and wasnt too impressed with it. Ages ago like 8-9 years ago i did play Birchwood a couple of times but cant really remember the 18 that much but used to enjoy it, not sure if im better than back then or not. I used to when i was younger like 4-5 have lessons as mum worked in Chelsfield and was quite good but stopped playing when i started playing snooker @ 10-11. its there somewhere i reckon...
  • Options
    Got 44 points playing off 24 at chelsfield yesterday. Normally get 30-36 points at other courses off 24. It is an easy high scoring course. Try Chelsfield @johnnybev1987 .
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Got 44 points playing off 24 at chelsfield yesterday. Normally get 30-36 points at other courses off 24. It is an easy high scoring course. Try Chelsfield @johnnybev1987 .

Is that 18 or 9? i remember i used to go there for 9 hole, never played points / Handicap. Might do that thank you, only 15-20 mins away and good to play another course , even better if its quite easy :)
  • Options
    Played a works golf day at Nizels quite a few years back. I think I was playing off about 15 and thought it was pretty tough.

We had some people who hadn't played for years and the course was way too difficult for them.

One guy (RIP Dave) - came in and nonchalantly chucked his card in for a 180 odd.......he won the wooden spoon by over 50 shots.

When we were in the bar afterwards Dave chirps up....."I'll tell you one thing.....it's lucky that you don't count them when you miss the ball as I'd have been well over 200" :smiley:
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Chelsfield is a good course to make you feel good about your game again.
    Honestly think I could have played close to my 13 handicap (when I was playing) using only a driver, 5 wood, 8 iron, wedge and putter.
  • Options

ChiAddick said:

Is that 18 or 9? i remember i used to go there for 9 hole, never played points / Handicap. Might do that thank you, only 15-20 mins away and good to play another course , even better if its quite easy :)
    Its an 18. Points is a good way to track how well you're doing rather than stroke play because if you have a disaster on a couple holes it probably won't ruin your whole round. (Which happens a lot to us high handicappers).
  • Options
    Where might one learn to play on points rather than strokes?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Where might one learn to play on points rather than strokes?

Google stableford rules.
  • Options
    Easiest way (although not strictly correct I think) is to tie your hcap to the stroke index for each hole to see how many shots you get at each hole.

For example with hcap of say 20 - you get 1 shot at each hole except for SI 1 and 2 holes where you get 2.

Scoring is as follows.

Net par = 2 points
    Net Birdire = 3 points
    Net eagle = 4 points
    Net bogie = 1 point
    Worse than net bogie = 0 points

Play the round and add up points......

Please pick up and stop playing at any hole where you can no longer score points as if you don't....your playing partner(s) will get proper pissed off (or maybe that's just me)

Enjoy!
  • Options

Easiest way (although not strictly correct I think) is to tie your hcap to the stroke index for each hole to see how many shots you get at each hole.

For example with hcap of say 20 - you get 1 shot at each hole except for SI 1 and 2 holes where you get 2.

Scoring is as follows.

Net par = 2 points
    Net Birdire = 3 points
    Net eagle = 4 points
    Net bogie = 1 point
    Worse than net bogie = 0 points

Play the round and add up points......

Please pick up and stop playing at any hole where you can no longer score points as if you don't....your playing partner(s) will get proper pissed off (or maybe that's just me)

Enjoy!

I read this, but what if you dont technically have a handicap like Dazzler and myself. I imagine 2 over each hole will be about right for me and would come in the highest handicap at present