Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Returning to Golf.

Comments

• Options
    Isn't that Payne Stewarts twin.
  • Options
    More Andy Stewart.
  • Options
    With @TCE lack of head follicles it is more like Patrick Stuart!!! Look out for the 'clingons' mate!! ;-0
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

I used to love a game of golf, unfortunately finding someone who takes it as seriously as I do is sometimes difficult ;)image

How have you got the new away kit already?
  • Options
    Like the sound of a CL golf day. Interesting reading the above posts and seeing people's hcps and their outlook on the game of golf. I play twice a week at least. Officially a 13 hcp but played to a couple of shots either side depending on my run of form which can be quite erratic. I'm a member at Redlibbits and was previously at Woodlands Manor, Austin Lodge & Pedham Place. We rarely take part in the club comps, preferring to play among ourselves and keeping our own hcp record. Since giving up foooty, golf became an obsession and I think about it all the time. If I could channel that obsession into working on my game then I should be able to significantly lower my hcp. If only.....
    God luck with the recovery @jonseventyfive
  • Options
    Thanks TL, practice makes perfect so I was always told, but enjoyment is everything.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Like the sound of a CL golf day. Interesting reading the above posts and seeing people's hcps and their outlook on the game of golf. I play twice a week at least. Officially a 13 hcp but played to a couple of shots either side depending on my run of form which can be quite erratic. I'm a member at Redlibbits and was previously at Woodlands Manor, Austin Lodge & Pedham Place. We rarely take part in the club comps, preferring to play among ourselves and keeping our own hcp record. Since giving up foooty, golf became an obsession and I think about it all the time. If I could channel that obsession into working on my game then I should be able to significantly lower my hcp. If only.....
    God luck with the recovery @jonseventyfive

http://www.rivervalleygolf.co.uk/societies.html
    I played in one, maybe two CL society days and they were certainly a good laugh or maybe that was just me. I played Upchurch a while back and I've never seen a course of that quality and price £18 quid so empty (midweek)
  • Options
    I've just started playing, can we have a hackers day?
  • Options
    I started to take golf seriously last year. Got down to a 24 handicap and regularly score 30 points. I've hit a bit of a bump in the road now. My short game (within 40 yards of the hole) needs improving massively. Really want to take the plunge and get a fitting and buy some decent clubs but I don't see the point when my handicap is so high. I feel I'd be better off spending that kind of money on lessons. I love it though. Definitely got the bug.
  • Options
    Played Upchurch a couple of years ago. Enjoyed it a lot although I seem to remember a lot of blind holes which is not everybody's cup of tea. I'd be up for a CL golf day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

used to play quite a bit, was a semi decent 16-18 handicapper on my day. However haven't struck a ball since my 40th nearly 3 years ago at the Belfry, first having a hernia op and then 2 kids close together.

just don't get the time to play anymore and the corporate days have totally dried up (used to get a good 6-8 a year).

just been invited on one now in 2 weeks time, I know I won't have a chance to get to the range, so it will literally be off of the 1st tee with my eyes closed!...thankfully it's a very relaxed day of just pub golfers and nothing too serious.

love the game though and always get the itch to play after watching a 'major' on the TV.

corporate day was cancelled, but off work for 2 weeks after today and playing tomorrow morning at Chelsfield Lakes - know the course pretty well and need to be done by early aft - so it suits the group I'm playing with.

Can't wait after the last 4 days watching the Open.
  • Options
    More than happy with 39 points off 20, shooting 88 for the first hit in nearly 3 years
  • Options

More than happy with 39 points off 20, shooting 88 for the first hit in nearly 3 years

Well done Elthamaddick!

I have gone rapidly downhill, played decent probably a month ago, last few rounds have been awful again. Yesterday i played 9 holes @ hever, granted it was wet but hit far too many bad shots. I do think its getting to the point where i should probably get lessons, i did 18 holes at poult wood last month which i didn't do too badly, back 9 alot worse but actually felt i was getting better but since on a few different 9 holes just not getting anything going. Hever i might sign up for membership as its good value, the 9 hole is like half a 18 eg. only 2 par 3's so need to step up to that then give the 18 a go.

Going tonight poult wood, mainly par 3s but 1 par 4. hopefully i find a bit of form tonight, playing 18 again on Saturday for mates birthday it could be bad as half of them have only just taken up golf too, at least hopefully i wont be the worse one!
  • Options
    Ridiculously it was one of the best and most enjoyable rounds I've played, had no expectations at all but just seemed to click from the 1st tee

Admittedly Chelsfield Lakes isn't very testing
  • Options
    Would definitely recommend lessons but don't expect them to work straight away. In learning to do something properly you'll find that you have other associated bad habits that you're not even aware of.

I had my first ever paid for 1:1 lessons last winter and it has improved my game no end. However my form has been ragged in the last few weeks and I know I need to improve my iron play.

I had a lesson and the pro has taught me to take back the club with more width and not to overswing. My previous narrow take away led to an out to in casting motion which kind of worked with but it led to inconsistent results. With the wider take away it is clumsy if I swing out to in so now I am forced to go in to out and bring my hips through better. My better shots are longer with a nice draw easier to achieve but I'm still working on it - at 59 it doesn't come that naturally - if I want to come down to single figures and stay there I need to persist.

I'm taking this improvement on the course for the second time tomorrow in a club friendly so, for my playing partner's sake, I hope it's not a car crash!
  • Options

Would definitely recommend lessons but don't expect them to work straight away. In learning to do something properly you'll find that you have other associated bad habits that you're not even aware of.

I had my first ever paid for 1:1 lessons last winter and it has improved my game no end. However my form has been ragged in the last few weeks and I know I need to improve my iron play.

I had a lesson and the pro has taught me to take back the club with more width and not to overswing. My previous narrow take away led to an out to in casting motion which kind of worked with but it led to inconsistent results. With the wider take away it is clumsy if I swing out to in so now I am forced to go in to out and bring my hips through better. My better shots are longer with a nice draw easier to achieve but I'm still working on it - at 59 it doesn't come that naturally - if I want to come down to single figures and stay there I need to persist.

I'm taking this improvement on the course for the second time tomorrow in a club friendly so, for my playing partner's sake, I hope it's not a car crash!

Had lessons for the first time this year too, only had 3 to date, but there were so many bad habits that there was a lot to put right in order to play more consistent golf.

You need to be pracitising so much to tune it in and that's where the problem lies. Without the constant drills your swing will naturally revert back to some bad habits during a round and frustration can creep in!

I had an absolute mare last month, about 22 points, though what was the point of those lessons, making me worse.... a week later scored 38 points. Golf. A bewildering game.
  • Options
    don't know if anyone on here knows, but if i rock up at barnehurst at 6.30pm tonight would i be able to pay and get on for a quick 9 just dont know whether 2 or 3 of us going yet.
  • Options
    You can get on to the course via perry street at any time...
  • Options

don't know if anyone on here knows, but if i rock up at barnehurst at 6.30pm tonight would i be able to pay and get on for a quick 9 just dont know whether 2 or 3 of us going yet.

You may do, but the dustbin lids are on holiday so that lessens your chances.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking for advice. I'm struggling with the mental side of the game at the moment.

I'm striking the ball well and starting rounds really well e.g. Yesterday 2 over after 9, but my resilience is non existent to making an error and people around me getting on my tits. I finished yesterday with 5 points in 7 holes and, without doubt, it was my head that cost me resulting in lots of really silly, brainless mistakes.

Help wanted please golfing boys.
  • Options

Looking for advice. I'm struggling with the mental side of the game at the moment.

I'm striking the ball well and starting rounds really well e.g. Yesterday 2 over after 9, but my resilience is non existent to making an error and people around me getting on my tits. I finished yesterday with 5 points in 7 holes and, without doubt, it was my head that cost me resulting in lots of really silly, brainless mistakes.

Help wanted please golfing boys.

If you are running out of steam then make sure you eat as you go round - bananas are good, or energy bars.

Try Resource Anchoring, an NLP technique - a Google search will bring up thousands of sites describing the process. Most professional sportspeople use it, for example the individual set-up routine golfers use, and you will notice that if they are distracted they go through the whole routine again. Tennis players with the ball bounce routine - and so on.

It does work!
  • Options
    What bob says about routine definitely helped me with my putting when I was playing.
    playing partners got a bit pissed off waitng and did seem a bit OCD (I'd mark every time and line up the put with a line I'd drawn on a my ball) but did improve the weakest part of my game.
  • Options
    Thanks chaps.

I think taking my time over my pre shot routine is something I can improve upon and only play my shot when I'm absolutely ready. I normally play a lot quicker than my partners and speed up when it's going wrong.

It will make a change for others to be hacked off with my pace of play rather than the other way round.
  • Options
    sh*t game
  • Options
    routeen is key to the game, thats why I find it hard to go down the range as I forget everything and just smash ball after ball after ball.

Such a frustrating game though, played the Belfry last month. 35points day 1....9 points day two!!!
  • Options

routeen is key to the game, thats why I find it hard to go down the range as I forget everything and just smash ball after ball after ball.

Such a frustrating game though, played the Belfry last month. 35points day 1....9 points day two!!!

Ouch!

Played off the back tees at The Belfry earlier this year - not good. 7200 yards is very different from 6400 and I make the mistake of trying to go for top Championship greens in regulation every time. Of course if you miss, which I did most of the time, you end up in a lot of trouble trying to cash cheques that your short game can't meet. Cue double bogey fest.

• Options
    exaclty was the problem, I thought I hit really good irons but just to the wrong part of the green and the rough was double hard. Not just championship greens....Ryder cup greens
  • Options
    Out of interest did both of you have to show your handicap cards at The Belfry?
  • Options
    cracking venue and setup though, had a right blast