Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Remembering games against the Orient.

2»

Comments

• Options
    An evening away game at Brisbane Road in 1975-76 which we won 1-0(?). Remember Laurie Cunningham playing well for them.
  • Options
    I always remember a Sunday match at Brisbane Rd in the early 80s. I think they won 1-0. What has stuck in my memory was standing behind the goal and watching Stan Bowles take a sublime penalty..so good that Nicky Johns dived before he even kicked it allowing him to stroke it in. I thought it would never be bettered until Di Canio dunked a penalty at the Valley. Two genius players.
  • Options

I always remember a Sunday match at Brisbane Rd in the early 80s. I think they won 1-0. What has stuck in my memory was standing behind the goal and watching Stan Bowles take a sublime penalty..so good that Nicky Johns dived before he even kicked it allowing him to stroke it in. I thought it would never be bettered until Di Canio dunked a penalty at the Valley. Two genius players.

Blimey I don't remember Bowles playing for Orient, but he did, in 80/81.
  • Options
    A pre season in 2003 I think. We won 4 - 1 and Parker was excellent
    .jams Campbell type placed for us and was superb. We looked a fine team and we were that year.
  • Options
    Mid 70s if my memory is correct evening match at brisbane rd , john chiedozie giving phil warman all sorts of problems, he just couldnt deal with his skill , and got sent off
  • Options

Blimey neither do I, how old would he have been then ?
  • Options
    5-2 in the early 80s was a Friday night game I think.
    Billy Lansdowne scored a couple that night. I only remember him as he had a record of not scoring on a Saturday for a few seasons.
    Bit like our current strikers I suppose.
  • Options

milo said:

Two spring to mind for me... the 1-0 defeat on New Years Eve when Hamer got himself sent off, still feel it was a harsh decision and the one where Chris Solly scored his first ever goal for the club.

I watched the New Year's Eve game on Sky with my, then seven year old son. After six minutes Hamer was sent off and we bought on reserve ‘keeper Sullivan who replaced Wagstaff.

When Orient scored, I told my disappointed son that it is difficult playing with ten men. He disagreed and said we still had eleven players and that Hamer had been substituted when Sullivan came on. I then had to spend the rest of the half explaining that an outfield player had been subbed and not Hamer who was red carded.

In desperation I got out a set of chess pieces and lined twelve of them up to explain. I still have a bishop with ‘Wagstaff’, a King with ‘Hamer’ and a knight with ‘Sullivan’ badly scrawled on them to this day as a reminder.

In my son’s defence it was NYE and I’d had a drink and perhaps my explanation was at fault.

why did you bring a chess set to a football match?

Because my wife had taken the backgammon to a rugby match and it was all I could find.
  • Options
    1971, my first ever match. A 2-0 win courtesy of a Peacock brace. I wasn't impressed though and kept telling my dad I wanted to go home. To which he kept saying, 'after the next goal'. I don't remember if we did stay to the end or not, but it felt like it.
  • Options

He would have been about 32.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Bowles
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He would have been about 32.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Bowles
    Cheers mate
  • Options
    That terrible league cup tie in 90/91 which we lost 1-0 - I went with a chuckling fool who followed Orient from afar and he giggled and sniggered throughout the whole match at how bad we were. He was right however as our performance that night was one of sheer comedy.