Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Clark

2»

Comments

• Options

Addickted said:

SDAddick said:

Congo Chris and Bowyer next year then?

From the sounds of KR's interview it seemed like it'll be JJ and Bowyer.
    This makes little sense to me. Neither have any coaching experience. So it will be those two and COL. A combined 6ish months of coaching between them JJ and Bowyer, giving them both credit for coaching the second half of this season. Plus COL, who admittedly has some experience abroad, and 3-4 months here. I'm not convinced that Richie Barker was a world beater. Ditto Kevin Nugent before him, despite his record as manager. But I don't think that this is a move in the right direction.
    I get your point about experience but I would feel much better if O'laughable was nowhere near the club!
    There's a rumour that Congo Chris has been sent packing back to Belgium as well.

I'm sure what you mean is Chris has decided to spend more time with his family but has found working at a great club like Charlton and with great coaches like Karl Robinson a great education which will stand him in great stead when he takes on his next role.
    No the rumour is he's fucked off home because the Manager believes Chris's abilities do not match the Managers' expectations.

• Options

We were told at a Bromley meeting by players that Simon Clark was popular with them and they enjoyed his sessions whereas the coach brought in by Roland just put cones out

I'm not a huge fan of British coaches, but I remember last year during the 'Boro game on our feed you could hear Simon Clark constantly yelling instructions to his players. But it was very helpful stuff, not just "you're shit," or "work hard." He really tried to guide Harriott through the game. I was very impressed (yelling during the game is also not something unto itself is always good). I think he's going to be a real loss. I'm not sure what's driving all this, but I don't see two men coming in without formal coaching experience as an upgrade. All very strange, which I guess should be normal for us at this point.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    A good call by Seth. I feel sorry for Clark as U18's at Notts C is definitely a backwards move.
  • Options
    He from Lincolnshire area so a move close to home.
  • Options

Yes I know, but professionally, it's a backwards step.
  • Options

I tend to agree. Going to make a vast generalization here, but it seems to me that certain men see themselves as managers, and others as coaches. For those who see themselves as being a no. 1, being an assistant is seen as a far less desirable option, instead of a learning experience and a chance to hone their skills. Clark doesn't necessarily strike me as the manager type, but it may be that that is how he sees himself and his career and as such being a no 1 at U18 level is better than being a senior coach elsewhere.
  • Options
    Would like to see this guy do well in the game, many speak well of him
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I tend to agree. Going to make a vast generalization here, but it seems to me that certain men see themselves as managers, and others as coaches. For those who see themselves as being a no. 1, being an assistant is seen as a far less desirable option, instead of a learning experience and a chance to hone their skills. Clark doesn't necessarily strike me as the manager type, but it may be that that is how he sees himself and his career and as such being a no 1 at U18 level is better than being a senior coach elsewhere.
    Maybe he prefers to work with the youth side of things?
  • Options
    Perhaps someone close to the training ground can tell more rather than us speculate with a lack of facts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Perhaps someone close to the training ground can tell more rather than us speculate with a lack of facts.

I live 5 miles away. He doesn't speak scouse.
  • Options

Couldn't find anyone close to the training ground but this bloke seems ITK

Simon Clark.‏ @yogs67 May 5
    More
    Replying to @GrahamSmyth
    Hi Graham, thank you. The role I was offered wasn't the right one for me, so changes happen.
  • Options
    So he was being demoted from 1st team coach to make way for someone with minimal coaching experience. Hope Robinson is only renting his gaff.
  • Options

We were told at a Bromley meeting by players that Simon Clark was popular with them and they enjoyed his sessions whereas the coach brought in by Roland just put cones out

Hey, dont knock it, so much ability required. Iain Dowie used all the skills learnt doing his engineering degree to put the cones out with millimetre precision. Trouble was by the time he'd got them all lined up to his satisfaction, the players had gone home.
  • Options
    “But it’s got to be underpinned by hard work, grit and determination. Possession is great but it has to be clever possession and you have to stick to that game plan."

“So, you need to recruit players who know how to get out of League One. You need that hunger and desire.

“Charlton have to find different ways to win football matches. They need to be able to mix it up. All good teams do that now."

I'm all for possession and the high press but we just didn't have the players for it last year and Robinson was too stubborn / stupid to see it. Shrewsbury away was a perfect example of this. Every one of their goals came from us pressing too high and getting caught out because we lacked the experience at the back to know when to press and when to drop.

Rochdale away too. Caught out by effective direct (not long ball) football out to the wings and got caught over and over again.

Robinson seems to be know how he wants to set a team up pre-game but struggles to adapt to what's happening in the match. That has to improve.
  • Options

“But it’s got to be underpinned by hard work, grit and determination. Possession is great but it has to be clever possession and you have to stick to that game plan."

“So, you need to recruit players who know how to get out of League One. You need that hunger and desire.

“Charlton have to find different ways to win football matches. They need to be able to mix it up. All good teams do that now."

I'm all for possession and the high press but we just didn't have the players for it last year and Robinson was too stubborn / stupid to see it. Shrewsbury away was a perfect example of this. Every one of their goals came from us pressing too high and getting caught out because we lacked the experience at the back to know when to press and when to drop.

Rochdale away too. Caught out by effective direct (not long ball) football out to the wings and got caught over and over again.

Robinson seems to be know how he wants to set a team up pre-game but struggles to adapt to what's happening in the match. That has to improve.

Something that MK Dons told me when he joined, so we will see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been appointed Kings Lynn Town boss.
  • Options
    Good luck to him, though that's a long way down the pyramid to get a managerial role. I guess we all have to start somewhere
  • Options

Good luck to him, though that's a long way down the pyramid to get a managerial role. I guess we all have to start somewhere

Try telling Sol Campbell that.
  • Options
    Looking @ where Kings Lynn are on the Pyramid I didnt realise that the level below the National League North / South had been spit into four Divisions instead of three