Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover: Depeche Mode v Johnny Cash - Personal Jesus

Ignore the cheap imitations, there is only true one CL Cover to Cover ; - )

Listen to both without prejudice before deciding which you prefer the 1989 Depeche Mode original or the 2002 Johnny Cash cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nVr4Ys8zKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpYW3qng78E&list=RDqpYW3qng78E

And yes, I could have done Hurt or any other of the songs off the American series and maybe one day I will but one day at a time sweet Jesus

Comments

• Options
    Johnny Cash - no contest
  • Options
    They're both outstanding but Depeche Mode for me.

More generally, I'm not sure how a cover of a song can be better than an original - can surely only compare two covers to each other?
  • Options

More generally, I'm not sure how a cover of a song can be better than an original - can surely only compare two covers to each other?

All depends on who's doing, who wrote it, what you like and which version the person heard first. That, to them, will be the "original".
  • Options
    Have to go for Depeche Mode. I like the 'american' albums but there are better songs than Personal Jesus. You've already mentioned Hurt. When the man comes around is great too.
  • Options
    Marilyn Manson for me... :open_mouth:
  • Options

Marilyn Manson for me... :open_mouth:

Good version, but still prefer Cash
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6fyhZ0G5E

I love Marilyn Manson & Depeche Mode's versions.

Johnny Cash's makes a powerful and exciting song a right dirge.
  • Options
    people are making a mockery of this cover to cover... na screw it, I prefer Manson's version as well.
  • Options
    Hard call, but I'll go for Mode. Amusing MTV at the time slightly edited the video because they though the section of Martin Gore's breathing interspersed with that horse's arse was too suggestive!
  • Options
    Depeche Mode.

The Eric Prydz remix of it is one of the best dance tracks ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Depeche Mode.

it is one of the best dance tracks ever.

Fixed that for you... :smiley:
  • Options
    Marilyn Manson (Depeche Mode out of the two)
  • Options
    One of my favourite performers is Johnny Cash, but for the particular track I prefer the Depeche Mode version.
  • Options
    I like both versions but I prefer the Depeche Mode one.
  • Options
    I'm going to go against the flow here and say ....... Depeche Mode.
  • Options

All depends on who's doing, who wrote it, what you like and which version the person heard first. That, to them, will be the "original".
    Hmm... a bit like saying you prefer someone else's version of the Mona Lisa
  • Options
    I don't think I'd heard either of them before today, so thanks for that.

Johnny Cash, by a country and western mile.
  • Options

Not all all: a few examples where the cover is better:

Tainted Love - Soft Cell
    Woodstock - CSNY
    Not Fade Away - Rolling Stones
    Tambourine Man - The Byrds
    I fought the law - Clash
    Twist and Shout - Beatles
    Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
    Step On - Happy Mondays
    Whiskey in the Jar - Thin Lizzy
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Not all all: a few examples where the cover is better:

Tainted Love - Soft Cell
    Woodstock - CSNY
    Not Fade Away - Rolling Stones
    Tambourine Man - The Byrds
    I fought the law - Clash
    Twist and Shout - Beatles
    Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
    Step On - Happy Mondays
    Whiskey in the Jar - Thin Lizzy
    Wonderwall - Mike Flowers Pop
  • Options

Not a fair comparison. Which of Van Gogh's sunflowers is the best? Which is the original?

I'll more than often prefer the original version but as Stonemuse has listed lots of covers better than the originals in many people's eyes.

Although I don't agree with all his choices. Isley's v Beatles is a hard one and Bobby Fuller Four was also a cover of I fought the law.

I while I love CSNY Joni is better.

And John Cale's version of Hallelujah (which is the version Buckley covers not the Cohen original) which is used in Shrek is better than all the other versions IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm a big Cash fan, and not that fussed about Depeche Mode... But i prefer the Mode version of this song
  • Options
    Depeche Mode for me too. Johnny Cash's version is too slow and samey for me, sorry.
  • Options

I while I love CSNY Joni is better.

And John Cale's version of Hallelujah (which is the version Buckley covers not the Cohen original) which is used in Shrek is better than all the other versions IMO

Yes to Joni - no to John Cale. Cale's version is very, very good but the original by Cohen from the Various Positions album is the best - in my humble opinion. Some of his live versions are perhaps even better.
  • Options
    I love personal Jesus, I've got a playlist with twelve different versions. Six different Depeche Mode versions and six covers.

The best for me are:

1. Marilyn Manson
    2. Depeche Mode (original version)
    3. Richard Cheese

Honourable mentions go to Agressiva 69 and Los Acusicas' Tu Unico Dios. The worst by a long margin is Depeche Mode's accapella version.

There's one other track on that particular playlist. Reality Asylum by Crass. Not as good musically, but the perfect antidote to all that religious nonsense.
  • Options
    Love johnny cash, remember where I was when he died, great man.

Depeche mode for this song all day.

Marilyn Manson basically a strippped down version of depeche mode. No added value.

• Options
    Depeche Mode for me
  • Options
    Violator is a brilliant album, indeed Personal Jesus is probably one of my least favourite tracks on it!
  • Options
    Depeche Mode, without a shadow, song written by a wholly underappreciated genius, can't wait for June 3rd - now have me thinking what my favourite DM album is. Impossible!
  • Options

Depeche Mode, without a shadow, song written by a wholly underappreciated genius, can't wait for June 3rd - now have me thinking what my favourite DM album is. Impossible!

I'm going Mr Rock Spectacle. Might see you there.
  • Options
    You will I'm sure. Now my brain is in overdrive working out favourite song from each album!