Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conversation with Katrien on Facebook - ground developments?

Comments

• In more recent rantings on the four feet good, two feet bad post.

What's jims issue with airman?

• Jon_CAFC_ said:

In more recent rantings on the four feet good, two feet bad post.

Fight fight fight!!!
  • The old terrace went back further, I assume the club sold off the land at the back in the 70s, so that the block of flats could be built?

Yes they did.
  • cafc-west said:

That's not THE Jim Davidson's Twitter.

Agree
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2017
    Scoham said:

cafc-west said:

No it's his Facebook.
    Just had a look - and yes it is. Can't actually see that comment anywhere though. Lots of political stuff. With all the false news crap thats posted these days - really need a proper link to the post and not a screen shot as it's just too easy to mock up tweets and FB posts.
  • cafc-west said:

Scoham said:

cafc-west said:

No it's his Facebook.
    Just had a look - and yes it is. Can't actually see that comment anywhere though. Lots of political stuff.
    It's on the charlton unofficial Facebook group which has about 7k members, generally the posts which garner most attention are those which slag card off yet offer nothing of substance themselves.

As mentioned previously, the tread in general does susipiciously seem like a particular line trying to be spun prior to the weekend
  • Jon_CAFC_ said:

Well done Rick!

For what it's worth - and assuming the stuff on Facebook has any validity - it looks like they're not thinking of selling. Certainly not in 2017-18.
  • Any planning for flats on the south stand area will take a year plus two to build. Minimum. If we go up and get the wastrels off the wages bill we will still lose £20m less a few player sales. Can't see where the benefit is for him.
  • Jon_CAFC_ said:

Well done Rick!

For what it's worth - and assuming the stuff on Facebook has any validity - it looks like they're not thinking of selling. Certainly not in 2017-18.
    It's more to do with what he wants and can't get IMO.
  • Fantastic, Stig, as always !

But shouldn't that read " ...the happy smiling KIDDY'S face" ?

I've rarely seen more than one lonely youngster occupying that wonderful Disney World, SE7 ....
  • Fantastic, Stig, as always !

But shouldn't that read " ...the happy smiling KIDDY'S face" ?

I've rarely seen more than one lonely youngster occupying that wonderful Disney World, SE7 ....

I think Stig has nicely replicated the regime's ability to count matchday attendances and applied it here.
  • milo said:

This photo shows how far back the old terrace went, in comparison to the Covered End

Cheers. Strange that was never the traditional home end because of a lack of a roof (or before segregation?) Looks like it could have given the Kop and others a run for its money!
    Before segregation there was no 'home end' just the Open End and the Covered End. My dad used to stand half way up the Open End about level with the west side of the penalty area.

When that end of the ground became designated for away supporters my dad would still go through the away turnstiles (as he had been doing for decades), walk through the Jimmy Seed stand, round the south east corner and on to the East Terrace.

My mum used to stand in the south east corner (prior to meeting my dad when she moved to stand with him and his family), just as well she did as they strangely built a giant floodlight pylon at the foot of the south east corner, hypothetically ruining the view for about 5,000 people (had they been there).

All before my time of course.

Only partly true.

Whilst lots of people would change ends at half time, I don't recall too many visiting fans in the covered end back in the day and was always seen as a predominantly home fans area.

Of course, Chelsea, west ham, millwall and Sheffield Wednesday fans had other ideas on occasions.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2017

Jon_CAFC_ said:

Well done Rick!

It's more to do with what he wants and can't get IMO.
    I would guess,as chasms go, that is a pretty bloody big one!
  • Addickted said:

Just to clarify.

Greenwich Council provide the ground safety certificate which is only issued so long as the Club complies with the various pieces of legislation comprising of H&S requirements as well as planning, construction and the operational running of a sports ground.

We have an up to date Ground Safety Certificate as we comply with all the relevant legislation - including an up to date asbestos register.

The Jimmy Seed Stand is safe. The safety of this stand has never been an issue as long as I've been the supporters representative on the Safety Advisory Group - unlike for instance the East Stand!

The Jimmy Seed stand roof is made up of interlocking corrugated asbestos cement sheeting. The asbestos content of this type of roofing is approximately 5%. Left as it is, It does not constitute an issue and is not illegal. Historically the trees behind the stand have caused some issues with this roof, particularly in high winds.

A branch has previously broken off and gone through this roof. You can see the damage repair in Airman's photograph - right in the middle at the back of the roof. The real problem here is that of leaf fall blocking the gutters. The trees behind the stand belong to LBG and they are their responsibility.

The next CAFC Safety Advisory Group Meeting is on 25th May. If you have any safety concerns with regard to The Valley or match day operational concerns, then please raise them with me via PM and I will do the best I can to represent your views to the Club.

The Club do listen to safety concerns and act and react accordingly.

out of interest what's wrong with the east stand?
    The roof wasn't bolted together properly. Almost caused a postponement about 15 years ago.
    I believe it was because the sheeting overlap was about 50mm less than it should have been.

• Addickted said:

Just to clarify.

Greenwich Council provide the ground safety certificate which is only issued so long as the Club complies with the various pieces of legislation comprising of H&S requirements as well as planning, construction and the operational running of a sports ground.

We have an up to date Ground Safety Certificate as we comply with all the relevant legislation - including an up to date asbestos register.

The Jimmy Seed Stand is safe. The safety of this stand has never been an issue as long as I've been the supporters representative on the Safety Advisory Group - unlike for instance the East Stand!

The Jimmy Seed stand roof is made up of interlocking corrugated asbestos cement sheeting. The asbestos content of this type of roofing is approximately 5%. Left as it is, It does not constitute an issue and is not illegal. Historically the trees behind the stand have caused some issues with this roof, particularly in high winds.

A branch has previously broken off and gone through this roof. You can see the damage repair in Airman's photograph - right in the middle at the back of the roof. The real problem here is that of leaf fall blocking the gutters. The trees behind the stand belong to LBG and they are their responsibility.

The next CAFC Safety Advisory Group Meeting is on 25th May. If you have any safety concerns with regard to The Valley or match day operational concerns, then please raise them with me via PM and I will do the best I can to represent your views to the Club.

The Club do listen to safety concerns and act and react accordingly.

Perhaps you should ask why the club's chief executive seems to be telling random people on a train that the stand is becoming dangerous... and while you're at it raise Keohane's plan to use the east stand for away fans!
    I would do, but neither of them deem the Safety Advisory Group meeting worth turning up to (unless it's the last one in January, which I wasn't invited to for some reason).

• Surely the problems with the East Stand Roof were caused by the raucous and deafening singing literally blowing the roof off...

Think it more of a case of the thermals from the opening of flasks.
  • Just saw this on Facebook

I don't want to go over old ground, concerning RD and KM, players purchases and lies etc, but there are a few interesting ground related things here

1) That the South Stand is becoming unsafe
    2) Moving Away fans into the East stand
    3) New Dugouts - certainly our existing ones don't reach PL standards (not that that particularly matters!)

Is there any truth in any of this from what others have heard?

Please don't say your on drugs or mad but I am prepared to give them another chance after speaking to Katrien on the train last night! She said to myself and Jon Whitfield this has been a long season and our current position in the league shows that 12 more points would of seen us fighting for play offs.
    Now if what Karl Robinson said about players not caring is true then you can't blame her or Roland. It's not uncommon for owners to loan money to a club one being Bournemouth and the second to my astonishment is Chelsea! Both owners are only loaning money to the club.
    I don't think we were ever in any danger of being relegated as there is so much s*** below us an us crying for a new owner doesn't mean the new mob will come in with good intentions. Yes they've made some disastrous decisions in management and transfers but from speaking to her next season will be a good one.
    I said look what £3m did when we won League 1?!? She smiled nodded and said "I know an next season we will be buying the best players in League 1"
    Other things discussed was moving away fans into the east stand empty blocks and giving both stands behind the goals back to home fans. In addition to this, she said their are plans to build a new south stand but this isn't in their immediate plans. She said a new construction is important as the stand is becoming unsafe. One last point on the stadium is the construction of new dug outs for 2017/18 which will ready in August.
    Look at Coventry & Leyton Orient be careful what you wish for an it's better to have the devil you know than the one you don't. We've got one game left so let's support Karl and the team and finish the season off.
    This summer will be telling on what players are bought in, kept and released. In my opinion it's time to support the club because in many ways I now look at Katrien and think f*** me she has some bollocks to take all this abuse and carry on.
    Up The Addicks
    Whatever happened to the new dug outs?

• Just saw this on Facebook

I don't want to go over old ground, concerning RD and KM, players purchases and lies etc, but there are a few interesting ground related things here

1) That the South Stand is becoming unsafe
    2) Moving Away fans into the East stand
    3) New Dugouts - certainly our existing ones don't reach PL standards (not that that particularly matters!)

Is there any truth in any of this from what others have heard?

Please don't say your on drugs or mad but I am prepared to give them another chance after speaking to Katrien on the train last night! She said to myself and Jon Whitfield this has been a long season and our current position in the league shows that 12 more points would of seen us fighting for play offs.
    Now if what Karl Robinson said about players not caring is true then you can't blame her or Roland. It's not uncommon for owners to loan money to a club one being Bournemouth and the second to my astonishment is Chelsea! Both owners are only loaning money to the club.
    I don't think we were ever in any danger of being relegated as there is so much s*** below us an us crying for a new owner doesn't mean the new mob will come in with good intentions. Yes they've made some disastrous decisions in management and transfers but from speaking to her next season will be a good one.
    I said look what £3m did when we won League 1?!? She smiled nodded and said "I know an next season we will be buying the best players in League 1"
    Other things discussed was moving away fans into the east stand empty blocks and giving both stands behind the goals back to home fans. In addition to this, she said their are plans to build a new south stand but this isn't in their immediate plans. She said a new construction is important as the stand is becoming unsafe. One last point on the stadium is the construction of new dug outs for 2017/18 which will ready in August.
    Look at Coventry & Leyton Orient be careful what you wish for an it's better to have the devil you know than the one you don't. We've got one game left so let's support Karl and the team and finish the season off.
    This summer will be telling on what players are bought in, kept and released. In my opinion it's time to support the club because in many ways I now look at Katrien and think f*** me she has some bollocks to take all this abuse and carry on.
    Up The Addicks
    Whatever happened to the new dug outs?

See my timeline for the dug outs project plan on page three...... (and people thought I was joking!)
  • Mr Keohane couldn't possibly handle project managing more than one thing at a time and he's far too busy with assessing the depth of the hole they've dug at the training ground. There is no way anyone else in the building can project manage some new dugouts. So they'll have to wait 25 years for the training ground works to finish.
  • Mr Keohane couldn't possibly handle project managing more than one thing at a time and he's far too busy with assessing the depth of the hole they've dug at the training ground. There is no way anyone else in the building can project manage some new dugouts. So they'll have to wait 25 years for the training ground works to finish.

I think we need to get the dugout project back on track. Whoever was in charge of the hexagonal netting last year should be made lead for this now.