Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Simulating" - Cheating / Diving to you and me

Just see Gaston Ramirez blatant dive (Boro v Bournemouth).

Seeing as it is cheating, ain't it about time these were punishable by a straight red?

Comments

• I absolutely detest it. Hard for referee sometimes so I think video footage should be used retrospectively to Red card the cheats.

It's supposed to be a mans game. STAND UP.
  • I'd just give them a second yellow for the dissent they usually show after the first one for diving.
  • I'd love to see a ref have the courage to give yellows for unsporting conduct to all those who crowd around trying to get an opponent carded - it would just take one ref to hand out 5 or 6 yellows in a situation where this happens to start to change this obnoxious behaviour.
  • Just see Gaston Ramirez blatant dive (Boro v Bournemouth).

Seeing as it is cheating, ain't it about time these were punishable by a straight red?

Agreed but only if the player tries to claim the foul.
  • Thing is Daz, is some only claim a foul when they think they've made a convincing job out of it. For me mate, straight red when it a blatant dive
  • There should be cards for unsportsmanlike conduct around diving. I do kind of understand players going down where there's contact and it's affected their run, like Moses yesterday, but the kind of peek-a-boo shit some players do is shameful. Suarez and Busquets are the worst for it, but there's plenty of players in England who do it. Especially when there's any light head movement in their direction. If you get lightly brushed on the shoulder by another players eyebrow and go down screeching there should be retrospective punishment. There's no reason not to punish it the same way you'd punish a late tackle the ref didn't see
  • Dele Ali stands out as an English player guilty of it, and he even goes and gets the hump when it doesn't pay off
  • Def should be a straight red for diving. Blatant cheating.
  • edited April 2017
    sm said:

I'd love to see a ref have the courage to give yellows for unsporting conduct to all those who crowd around trying to get an opponent carded - it would just take one ref to hand out 5 or 6 yellows in a situation where this happens to start to change this obnoxious behaviour.

This.

Also holding in the box at set pieces. Would love a ref to give a pen every time it happened.

Although Jason Pearce would concede about 10 a game.

• Sponsored links:

• sm said:

I'd love to see a ref have the courage to give yellows for unsporting conduct to all those who crowd around trying to get an opponent carded - it would just take one ref to hand out 5 or 6 yellows in a situation where this happens to start to change this obnoxious behaviour.

This.

Also holding in the box at set pieces. Would love a ref to give a pen every time it happened.

James Collins yesterday
  • edited April 2017
    what pissed me off yesterday is the Hull player getting sent off for what was just a lazy kick. i would prefer if refs don't send players off for casual/accidental contact as it can (unlike what did eventually happen at Hull) ruin the game.

also that excitable gobby commentator Jonathan Pearce having a meltdown when Adrien (west ham keeper) puts his foot up when sliding to gather the ball. people like Pearce are always screaming for a card for all sorts of insignificant challenges.
  • You can't always blame the ref if he doesn't see it as a dive but retrospective red card and three match suspension will begin the process of getting it out of the game. I can't stand cheating.
  • There should be cards for unsportsmanlike conduct around diving. I do kind of understand players going down where there's contact and it's affected their run, like Moses yesterday, but the kind of peek-a-boo shit some players do is shameful. Suarez and Busquets are the worst for it, but there's plenty of players in England who do it. Especially when there's any light head movement in their direction. If you get lightly brushed on the shoulder by another players eyebrow and go down screeching there should be retrospective punishment. There's no reason not to punish it the same way you'd punish a late tackle the ref didn't see

I'd love to see this. Palace's star player Zaha would be suspended for nearly every game!
  • This is what I was going to suggest 25/05/98.
  • Terrible dive, but all the while the FA are calling it 'simulation' and not the correct word which is 'cheating' then do not expect much to be done about it. What we need is video replay ASAP.
  • Moses was that not cheating then...... not touched fell/jumped
  • It's a thin line between no contact and collapsing, and minor contact and collapsing in the box. And even with the latter is it contact from the defender, or the attacker looking for contact?

One is blatant cheating, the other is....what all players do.

For pure cheating, retrospective action would be the best approach. There have been cases of incorrect bookings for diving where there was genuine contact
  • TV pundits often refer to a player 'winning' a penalty rather than being 'awarded' one. It seems this art form has become an essential part of a strikers skill set. Panels condoning rather that condemning this behaviour cheating will not help to eradicate it.
  • The pundits, all ex players, say its unprofessional not to fall over and are astounded when some players stay on their feet and play on.

That's the difference between fans and ex players.
  • Sponsored links:

• I guess yesterday's Liverpool Palace game showed why players go down

Coutinho was fouled in the box, stayed on his feet, the chance came to nothing, and no penalty awarded. If he had gone over, maybe he would have won a penalty

Coutinho was fouled in the box, stayed on his feet, the chance came to nothing, and no penalty awarded. If he had gone over, maybe he would have won a penalty

Sometimes you get decisions go your way, sometimes you don't. Play the whistle
  • I absolutely detest it. Hard for referee sometimes so I think video footage should be used retrospectively to Red card the cheats.

Heres the problem though and referees are at fault for it. If you don't go down in the box you don't get a penalty. So referees are as guilty as the players for creating this environment. The same foul that would give a free in the middle of the park doesn't result in a penalty when the tackle happens in the box.

So if you are honest and you have your progress illegally impeded in the box, you stay up, and you get nothing. If you are impeded, your chance to score taken away from you and go down to highlight the foul you get a penalty. Players have no choice. Its naive to say otherwise.

Agreed a penalty even though he managed to get the shot off it impacted on the outcome
  • el-pietro said:

I absolutely detest it. Hard for referee sometimes so I think video footage should be used retrospectively to Red card the cheats.

Heres the problem though and referees are at fault for it. If you don't go down in the box you don't get a penalty. So referees are as guilty as the players for creating this environment. The same foul that would give a free in the middle of the park doesn't result in a penalty when the tackle happens in the box.

So if you are honest and you have your progress illegally impeded in the box, you stay up, and you get nothing. If you are impeded, your chance to score taken away from you and go down to highlight the foul you get a penalty. Players have no choice. Its naive to say otherwise.
    Slightly different argument imo, but the only way to work towards stamping all of this out is to bring in a video ref and instant replays like in rugby
  • el-pietro said:

I absolutely detest it. Hard for referee sometimes so I think video footage should be used retrospectively to Red card the cheats.

If Coutinho had gone down yesterday, Liverpool would probably have got a penalty, and Palace might have lost leading to them not picking up any more points and being relegated on the last day of the season after a last minute Swansea winner
  • The problem of refs missing genuine fouls in the box will never be 100% erradicated and, to a certain extent, it is part of the game, but refs aren't gonna be helped by players going down to emphasise the fact they feel they've been fouled.
  • What I'd love to see is players booked for simulation if they are fouled but massively over react.