Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sixties/seventies gigs in the Charlton, Bromley area

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Tramp said:

I seem to recall Brinsley Scwartz were launched with a huge amount of publicity to make them the next Beatles/Stones. An American tour was one of their first gigs. It all went wrong, and within a couple of years they were playing London pubs. They were regulars at "The Kensington" around Holland Park, opposite my bed sit. They were always brilliant and their closing number of "Brown Sugar" was as good, if not better, than the Stones. Overall, I think they did OK, more successful than the average pub band, but no Beatles or Stones

Once planned to see the Stones at the Montague Social Club (or was it the Montrose?) in Hurst Road, Sidcup. My mate wasn't prepared to pay 2/6 (12 1/2p) to get in, so we went to Station Hotel, by Sidcup Station, instead. 1/7 a pint for Beasley's Best Bitter, God knows what their worst bitter was like. Happy days, kids today don't know what they've missed, (yes, you're right, not a lot).

Spent an evening with Brinsley last weekend. (Schwarz, by the way- many early gig posters also mis spelled their/ his name!)
    They returned to the pub circuit within a fortnight of Filmore gig, as Brinsley himself said, they preferred playing what they liked, how they wanted to do it. Utterly disillusioned by the music business, which of course led eventually to the revolution which was Stiff Records and Nick Lowe as in house producer.

Incidentally, those Dunstonians on here may be interested that Brinsleys only solo album, from 2 years ago, features an old boy on drums. Steve Nieve, a rock n roll Hall of Famer, is also an old boy.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

When did the Tramshed in Woolwich begin holding gigs?

Early/mid seventies Joe Stead performed and hosted folk nights with performers like Harvey Andrews and Derek Brimstone amongst others and it grew from there to the likes of Hale and Pace.

I'd estimate 1973.
    Joe Stead, saw him loads of times in the 70s.

I bought his "Obscenities" album and remember after chucking out time at the pub, it was often mates back to my place for afters and all singing along to "Stoned on Red Leb Again". The neighbours were never impressed.

• Options

anyone ever go to the huge ballroom, the 'Purley Orchid' ? .. down the road a bit but good for American soul/Tamla groups in the 60s, same as the 'Croydon Suite'

Glitzy place, loved it, mohair suits and classy dolly birds, we would borrow my dad's car for the evening. Long drive home if you didn't "pull".
  • Options

T Rex at Lewisham Odeon about 1971

Brinsley Swartz at the Harrow Inn Abbey Wood 1972

Van der Graf Generator at Bromley College 1973

I bought a Brinsley Scwartz album JB. Were they any good live? coz their album was a bit tepid if i remember correctly
    Good live band imo. That gig at the Harrow was very poorly attended, but Nick Lowe stood out with his cropped hair and denim jacket, at a time when everyone else had long hair.

Saw them again at the Roundhouse about a year later, along with Man and Hawkwind.

I bought a Brinsley Scwartz album JB. Were they any good live? coz their album was a bit tepid if i remember correctly
    Good live band imo. That gig at the Harrow was very poorly attended, but Nick Lowe stood out with his cropped hair and denim jacket, at a time when everyone else had long hair.

Saw them again at the Roundhouse about a year later, along with Man and Hawkwind.
    This was the Greasy Truckers gig.
    I often listen to the live albums it's still good.
  • Options
    Having seen Sam and Dave with Clarence Carter , Joe Tex and Arthur Conley at the Fairfield Halls in Nov 1970 we then heard Arthur Conley and Joe Tex were going to play the Orpington Civic Hall a week later. We turned up, with 5 others. They cancelled the show.
  • Options
    Acab said:

If i remember rightly that was a Sunday night and we just managed to get the last 53 all the way back to Charlton.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

My mum worked in the Woolwich Odeon in the 60's and managed to get tickets for the gigs played in Lewisham Odeon. I saw a load of bands but I most remembered were Freddie & the dreamers, Hermans Hermits, Gene Pitney, Tom Jones (it's not unusual), Cliff Richard. There were always quite a few bands on on one night and I've been told I saw Cream there and the Beatles (I don't remember seeing them).
    Someone mentioned the ? Tavern in Downham. I used to go there quite a bit and watch one band called Stone Cold Sober. They were alright but their encore was worth the wait: You Won't Get Fooled Again followed by Free Bird.
    They played down the tram shed but the sound from the lead guitarist went up into the rafters and could barely hear it.

If you can't remember seeing The Beatles then you sure as hell didn't!
    Yet you remember seeing Hermans Hermits.....odd????
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

forgot to mention .. 'The Who' at the Witchdoctor/Savoy in the late 60s, they were VERY poor, stoned/pissed and mostly just did bad covers of Beach Boys songs .. not the great band they later became .. Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers at the same place

and 'The Nice' featuring the late, great Keith Emerson on Hammond .. at the Mistral, Beckenham Junction

anyone ever go to the huge ballroom, the 'Purley Orchid' ? .. down the road a bit but good for American soul/Tamla groups in the 60s, same as the 'Croydon Suite'

Briefly played in a band with Brian 'Blinky' Davison on drums. Lovely bloke. Stayed at my flat for a couple of weeks. But he suddenly sold his drum kit, bought a motorbike, and headed off to India.
    interesting life you've had JS .. Davison died quite young if memory serves .. in 'those days' of course most everyone was a hippy, either real or pretend ((:>)
    Yes I tried to track him down, and found a tribute video on YouTube with RIP at the end of it. Sad.
    We could have been half of The Subway Sect (or were, briefly).
  • Options
    masicat said:

Having seen Sam and Dave with Clarence Carter , Joe Tex and Arthur Conley at the Fairfield Halls in Nov 1970 ....

Fairfield Halls ...... saw Fairport Convention play a couple of times there, if I remember, they used to do an annual gig there for a number of years in the 70s. Good memories of Dave Swarbrick going down a storm with his wild fiddle playing.

• Options
    edited August 2017

Tramp said:

I seem to recall Brinsley Scwartz were launched with a huge amount of publicity to make them the next Beatles/Stones. An American tour was one of their first gigs. It all went wrong, and within a couple of years they were playing London pubs. They were regulars at "The Kensington" around Holland Park, opposite my bed sit. They were always brilliant and their closing number of "Brown Sugar" was as good, if not better, than the Stones. Overall, I think they did OK, more successful than the average pub band, but no Beatles or Stones

Once planned to see the Stones at the Montague Social Club (or was it the Montrose?) in Hurst Road, Sidcup. My mate wasn't prepared to pay 2/6 (12 1/2p) to get in, so we went to Station Hotel, by Sidcup Station, instead. 1/7 a pint for Beasley's Best Bitter, God knows what their worst bitter was like. Happy days, kids today don't know what they've missed, (yes, you're right, not a lot).

Spent an evening with Brinsley last weekend. (Schwarz, by the way- many early gig posters also mis spelled their/ his name!)
    They returned to the pub circuit within a fortnight of Filmore gig, as Brinsley himself said, they preferred playing what they liked, how they wanted to do it. Utterly disillusioned by the music business, which of course led eventually to the revolution which was Stiff Records and Nick Lowe as in house producer.

Incidentally, those Dunstonians on here may be interested that Brinsleys only solo album, from 2 years ago, features an old boy on drums. Steve Nieve, a rock n roll Hall of Famer, is also an old boy.
    That's very interesting, Floyd. Yes, Prague Addick and I are Old Dunstonians; I was there from 1967 to 72. I never saw Brinsley Schwarz live; was in a band myself at the time and gigging heavily.

Not strictly about 1960s music, but worth noting that Michelangelo Antonioni shot scenes for his 1966 film 'Blow-Up' in Maryon Park, just a goal-kick away from The Valley. He had the railings temporarily painted green and apparently you can still see patches and flakes. The lead character, a photographer played by David Hemmings, was based on Bailey.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Acab said:

The other Greasy Truckers live album, recorded at Dingwall's, Camden Lock, in 1973 features Gong, Global Village Trucking Company - and Camel, one of my fave bands of all time.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Yes viewfinder, Camel are really brilliant......Andy Latimer is without doubt a superb and very underrated guitarist.
    Stationary Traveller is my favourite track......the live version at Hammersmith Odeon being the best version but rather difficult to find?
  • Options

Camel are brilliant......Andy Latimer a superb and very underrated guitarist.
    Stationary Traveller is my favourite track......the live version at Hammersmith Odeon being the best version.

Agree entirely; Andy Latimer is a star. The original Camel drummer, Andy Ward, was mustard, too; I bought his black Ludwig kit in the mid-1970s - and got to meet him 17 years later when he was playing with Richard Sinclair in Caravan of Dreams and I did the photos for the CD.

• Options
    Anyone else at the Melody Maker gig at The Oval which was on 30 Sept 1972. I was 15.

ELP
    Wishbone Ash
    Argent
    Focus
    Genesis
    Jack Bruce

If I recall correctly ticket was £1. And a few full party sevens got thrown around.
  • Options

Anyone else at the Melody Maker gig at The Oval which was on 30 Sept 1972. I was 15.

ELP
    Wishbone Ash
    Argent
    Focus
    Genesis
    Jack Bruce

If I recall correctly ticket was £1. And a few full party sevens got thrown around.

What a cracking line-up! I saw Focus last year at a festival at Mount Ephraim, just outside Faversham. They are there again later this month.

• Options

Yes viewfinder, Camel are really brilliant......Andy Latimer is without doubt a superb and very underrated guitarist.
    Stationary Traveller is my favourite track......the live version at Hammersmith Odeon being the best version but rather difficult to find?

A live version of 'Stationary Traveller' recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon features on this DVD: http://www.camelproductions-store.com/dvd---pressure-points-121-p.asp

Apparently, live footage is intermixed with rather hammy visuals set in East Berlin and directed by Mike Mansfield. A DVD of concerts in Japan last year is just out.
  • Options
    Yes saw The MM poll winners, Focus were good, went with a few Ash fans, though ELP were very good,
    Been playing Free at the Fairfield Halls bootleg, all afternoon, I had just started art college that week...... across the road, thought I was in heaven, came out late had to walk half way home, it was worth
    it....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGWNqP_2rvI
  • Options
    edited August 2017

ELP
    Wishbone Ash
    Argent
    Focus
    Genesis
    Jack Bruce

yes.

and Yes at Loftus rd.
    and Grand Funk Railroad, Humble Pie and Heads, hands and feet in Hyde park.
  • Options
    Living in Walworth at the time, I rarely went east to watch a gig, the most memorable exception being Lindisfarne supported by Genesis and Rab Noakes at Lewisham Odeon (I'd previously watched the same show at The Coliseum in St Martins Lane). Like many other, the Marquee was my favourite haunt at that time.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

A live version of 'Stationary Traveller' recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon features on this DVD: http://www.camelproductions-store.com/dvd---pressure-points-121-p.asp

Apparently, live footage is intermixed with rather hammy visuals set in East Berlin and directed by Mike Mansfield. A DVD of concerts in Japan last year is just out.

Something rather strange happened when Pressure Points was released......those days on vinyl, audio cassette and VIdeo Cassette.
    Stationary Traveller was left off of the vinyl and Video Cassette though was on the Video Cassette (which I have)! All very strange and I never did find out why.
    Later a CD was released.....same again no Stationary Traveller!
    Then later still a DVD was released and one assumes due to public pressure it was included!
    Thanks for the other comments VF.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

ELP
    Wishbone Ash
    Argent
    Focus
    Genesis
    Jack Bruce

yes.

and Yes at Loftus rd.
    My Uncle was at the Hyde Park gig. Would love to have seen Pie (and GFR for that matter)
  • Options

ELP
    Wishbone Ash
    Argent
    Focus
    Genesis
    Jack Bruce

yes.

and Yes at Loftus rd.
    My Uncle was at the Hyde Park gig. Would love to have seen Pie (and GFR for that matter)
    Humble Pie and HH&F were very good.
    GFR were just an unearthly racket.
  • Options

ELP
    Wishbone Ash
    Argent
    Focus
    Genesis
    Jack Bruce

yes.

and Yes at Loftus rd.
    Humble Pie and HH&F were very good.
    GFR were just an unearthly racket.
    Just searched GFR and they're still going. They only seem to play in the US but have a very busy schedule.
  • Options
    I used to go to Tuesday rock nights at the Tramshed in Woolwich in the mid 70s. August 2nd 1977 IIRC, the support band was Dire Straits. Turned out to be one of their first gigs.

The support band never got an encore, but they were so good they were called back on and played Sultans of Swing!
  • Options
    A little bit of trivia..
    Albert Lee of HH&F lived in Canberra road Charlton for a while.
  • Options

I used to go to Tuesday rock nights at the Tramshed in Woolwich in the mid 70s. August 2nd 1977 IIRC, the support band was Dire Straits. Turned out to be one of their first gigs.

The support band never got an encore, but they were so good they were called back on and played Sultans of Swing!

Back in the 70's there were a number of Rock Against Racism gigs at the Albany in Deptford. I know I saw both Squeeze and Dire Straits and I am sure that Squeeze were the headliners.
  • Options

Something rather strange happened when Pressure Points was released......those days on vinyl, audio cassette and VIdeo Cassette.
    Stationary Traveller was left off of the vinyl and Video Cassette though was on the Video Cassette (which I have)! All very strange and I never did find out why.
    Then later still a DVD was released and one assumes due to public pressure it was included!
    Yes, that's mysterious. Perhaps the tape of 'Stationary Traveller' was temporarily lost, and rediscovered later. From your admiration of Andy Latimer, I take it you are a guitarist, SoundAsa£. I often go back and listen to the first Camel album, 1973, one of my favourites: still strong, funky and melodic, even 44 years later! 'Never Let Go' is a beautiful song, with lots of fine playing from Latimer including fast acoustic guitar on the backing track, quite low in the mix. On YouTube there's very early footage of them playing this at Guildford Civic Hall in 1973 - cop the seated audience: head-banging young teenagers in seriously naff clothes!

• Options

It's funny, somehow Camel passed me by back in the day. Of course we didn't have the likes of Spotify back then, so unless you heard them on Sounds of the Seventies or something (I never did), or saw them live, you'd have to take a chance and buy the album.
    So I've finally had a listen and was surprised how good they actually were.

I had the HH& album, but it's never been reissued or released on Spotify for some reason, I used to sell most of my albums at school to finance the purchase of new ones. Including that one unfortunately.

I was at boarding school in Canterbury and had a 'Canterbury scene' phase. Hatfield & The North, Caravan, Matching Mole etc. Went to a lot of gigs at Kent university (including Captain Beefheart) and saw the MC5 at the Odeon.
  • Options
    When did the word 'gig' start being used? Because the shows that were on at the various south London cinemas in the early sixties, 7/6 to get in, often pay on the door Roy Orbison, Little Richard, Everly Brothers,Sam Cooke, Bo Diddley, Beatles, Stones, etc these were called 'Package Concerts' usually five or six top named world artists doing three or four numbers. Solo 'artistes' were backed almost always by 'Sounds Incorporated'.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    JamesSeed said:

It's funny, somehow Camel passed me by back in the day. Of course we didn't have the likes of Spotify back then, so unless you heard them on Sounds of the Seventies or something (I never did), or saw them live, you'd have to take a chance and buy the album.
    So I've finally had a listen and was surprised how good they actually were.

I had the HH& album, but it's never been reissued or released on Spotify for some reason, I used to sell most of my albums at school to finance the purchase of new ones. Including that one unfortunately.

I was at boarding school in Canterbury and had a 'Canterbury scene' phase. Hatfield & The North, Caravan, Matching Mole etc. Went to a lot of gigs at Kent university (including Captain Beefheart) and saw the MC5 at the Odeon.
    I'm dead impressed that you were part of the Canterbury scene, James – I'm still raving over Caravan, first seen at the Marquee in Wardour Street in 1973, and most recently at the Mount Ephraim festival near Faversham last year. Pye Hastings, Geoff Richardson and Jan Schelhaas are still in the band. I got to know Richard Sinclair quite well in the 90s, doing the photos for his CDs.

My favourite of all the Caravan albums is 'For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night', 1973: rockier than many others, with John G. Perry (later in Quantum Jump) on bass, and drummer Richard Coughlan in his most urgent, driving form. Have a listen to the track 'A Hunting We Shall Go': written in the difficult time signature of 19 / 8, usually the preserve of rarefied jazz, yet Coughlan storms through it without batting an eyelid. Absolutely bloody marvellous!

Since this thread is set in south-east London, I must recommend Caravan's 'Live at the Fairfield Halls, 1974', released in 2002. Most of 'Plump In The Night' is here, along with other great stuff.

Did you attend King's School at Canterbury, James? In the footsteps of the great Somerset Maugham?