Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Question for car bods

Have any of you clever chaps on here any idea what the plastic bracket is called, on the side of the driver seat of my Ford Grand C Max. Been looking to get it replaced but don't want to get rinsed by a Ford garage.

Comments

• If you don't have any luck on here then pop down in the motor to any Auto spares dealer who will probably help out.
  • Could you not get one from the breakers down near the barrier on match day?
    Or if you want a new one pop into the parts department at a ford garage, they have it all on microfiche.
  • If it's got a part number stamped on it, use that - though it will be on the side you cant see unless you're removing it yourself.

Otherwise, call it, oh, I don't know, something like "the plastic bracket on the side of the driver seat". It's as good a description as any.
  • Try Euro car parts.
  • Could you not get one from the breakers down near the barrier on match day?
    Or if you want a new one pop into the parts department at a ford garage, they have it all on microfiche.

My brother just messaged that there's a breakers yard there so cheers
  • Fuck knows but you've got at least 40p down there.

£2.50 at least!
  • strange thread.
  • strange thread.

Yeah but don't pull it or it will all unravel.

• Sponsored links:

• Does anyone know what those tubes are on the back of my car?
    I've searched everywhere and now I'm exhausted.
  • Rather than start a new thread...

Diesel particulate filter warning light has come on, yellow, perhaps the annoying result of not being able run the car much or far during lockdown.

My question is: do people thing a good.run out may clear the soot etc, or does.the light coming on mean the filter may be damaged rather than just clogged?

Diesel particulate filter warning light has come on, yellow, perhaps the annoying result of not being able run the car much or far during lockdown.

My question is: do people thing a good.run out may clear the soot etc, or does.the light coming on mean the filter may be damaged rather than just clogged?

Take it on the motorway, floor it and give it a good run out. How old is it?

Was fine before lockdown but basically I've popped to the shops and not had a chance to give it a run out.

Was fine before lockdown but basically I've popped to the shops and not had a chance to give it a run out.
    Yeah, sounds like it just needs a blast mate. Will chuck a load of shit out the back when you first floor it but it’ll just be clearing itself.
  • Perfect thank you, was hoping someone would say that!
  • Perfect thank you, was hoping someone would say that!
    No worries. Even if it doesn’t clear the fault, you might be able to get it cleaned rather than replaced.

Don’t drive around too long if the fault light stays on though, it can cause further damage (and it’s an MOT failure).
  • Get some cataclean and put on in the tank. Then give it a run about.
  • Maybee it needs a regeneration cycle failing that could be costly
  • Or could have run out of fluid as some cars use a fuel additive 
    Think there are 3 types of regeneration 
    1 is a additive is added via a small tank/bag
    2 is ecu activated and and more fuel to raise temperatures 
    3 just uses the engines heat to burn it off
    Think a few places do a cleaning service for 50-£100

• Sponsored links:

Yeah, sounds like it just needs a blast mate. Will chuck a load of shit out the back when you first floor it but it’ll just be clearing itself.
    My son recently  had the very same problem on his Focus although a little more dramatic. The car would not restart. The RAC man basically echoed your post. The EGR valve was filthy causing the sensor to throw up an error and shut the engine off. Cleaned it and give the car a run down the A20. I bought him some cleaning additive and things have been fine since.
    I did tell the boy this would happen if you don’t look after the car, and do short trips especially with an oil burner. When I was his age I was always tinkering around on cars, I doubt many now know the basics of how engines turn over.
  • A blocked egr valve would normally flag the sensor and put car in limp mode??
  • The system needs to get hot to clear the filter, so a blast on the highway should work.

My son recently  had the very same problem on his Focus although a little more dramatic. The car would not restart. The RAC man basically echoed your post. The EGR valve was filthy causing the sensor to throw up an error and shut the engine off. Cleaned it and give the car a run down the A20. I bought him some cleaning additive and things have been fine since.
    I did tell the boy this would happen if you don’t look after the car, and do short trips especially with an oil burner. When I was his age I was always tinkering around on cars, I doubt many now know the basics of how engines turn over.
    To be fair I knew it needs a good motorway run every now and again, but haven't been able to for obvious reasons.
  • Going to give it a run out on Saturday as working until then and keep absolutely everything crossed!

Save that until you are overtaking a group of cyclists.

I always did

Up until everything required a diagnostic machine to reset after you change a regulator, sensor, anything. Added to the 36 screws needed to remove the engine bay cover and I decided to tap out circa 2007 

With most modern cars you just need to look after them, keep fluid levels checked and topped up, tyre pressures maintained, stay on top of servicing. That's the biggie and something that I always did myself in about 90 minutes including the trip to parco to get the oil, plugs and filters, draining of sump and replacing everything. Without the machine to tell the car it has been serviced I was up against it so I pay between 80 for a small service and 150 for a biggie whenever the car tells me it needs one.