Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why Not Have a Sponsorless Shirt While in League One?

edited April 2017 in General Charlton
I don't think any club in League One gets much revenue at all from their shirt sponsorship. I think we get less than a million and maybe far less, per year. This is for the name on the shirt I am talking about, not the kit maker.

So why not just eliminate the shirt sponsor and enlarge the emblem?

If we had a badge 50% larger and did not clutter up the shirt with a sponsor, I suspect it would look very cool and shirt sales would make up for the lost money from the sponsor. No?

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Money.

I imagine the margins on individual shirts is very small compared to what a sponsor pays.
  • Not much money. Very little, I believe.
  • According to your logic we would need to sell at least 50-60000 shorts EXTRA to make up for a loss of a million pounds sponsorship, and as a lot of fans like shirts with sponsors, no chance.
  • Doesn't matter how little the revenue is. It's still revenue. No league 1 club can afford to turn money down
  • A million pounds will pay a lot of club employee wages
  • edited April 2017
    If we were in a position to drop the sponsorship money (which we're not) then I'd rather have Demelza House on the front of it for free. Or take the sponsorship and donate it to them.
  • I don't think there's a queue of sponsors to be fair. We ended up with University of Greenwich because of that before we did the deal with Betfair. Unfortunately, no shirt sponsor looks like you can't attract one.
  • I'll be very happy if we didn't have a sponsor cos they make nearly every football shirt look tacky. I wouldn't make the badge bigger though.

West brom went without a couple of years back and it made their shirt obviously look very retro. Also Lazio and Roma don't have sponsors.
  • Revenue is revenue at the end of the day but a friend who supports Villa said many supporters really liked having the Acorns charity on their shirt, I would welcome something on those lines.
  • Never mind the club shirt, when are CARD announcing this years shirt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Doesn't matter how little the revenue is. It's still revenue. No league 1 club can afford to turn money down

We can. Gate receipts dont matter. Katrien said so.
  • Not much money. Very little, I believe.

Do you use fivers as napkins?

• If we had a badge 50% larger and did not clutter up the shirt with a sponsor, I suspect it would look very cool and shirt sales would make up for the lost money from the sponsor. No?

not allowed. club logos cannot be more than 100cm squared on shirts
  • This is a 'unique' idea...
  • Napa you been in your wine cellar: )
  • Halix said:

According to your logic we would need to sell at least 50-60000 shorts EXTRA to make up for a loss of a million pounds sponsorship, and as a lot of fans like shirts with sponsors, no chance.

That's IF our sponsorship is 1 mil. What if it is 250k? Which it might be. Then we would have to sell just 12,500-15,000 shirts to break even. I think we would do that EASILY.

• edited April 2017
    Those who are saying "clubs can't turn down revenue".... what about reducing season ticket prices?

Because it is the very same argument.

In fact, match day is 2/3 of turnover and thus the argument to keep prices high to maximize revs is exactly the same.

I contend we can lose the shirt sponsor and not lose turnover. And I also believe we could cut season ticket prices and not lose turnover.

Same argument. And for the very same reason... increased sales will offset the loss.

Not sure why many of you can't consider the potential upside of it yet complain with the very same argument and reasoning for season ticket prices, whose importance to the club absolutely dwarfs the importance of shirt sponsorship mired in the lower reaches of L1.
  • Those who are saying "clubs can't turn down revenue".... I dont ever want to hear any of you complain about season ticket prices again.

Because it is the very same argument.

In fact, match day is 2/3 of turnover and thus the argument to keep prices high to maximize revs is exactly the same.

I contend we can lose the shirt sponsor and not lose turnover. And I also believe we could cut season ticket prices and not lose turnover.

Same argument. And for the very same reason... increased sales will offset the loss.

Not sure why many of you can't see the potential upside of it yet complain with the very same argument and reasoning for season ticket prices.

Because it's a stupid idea. There's a reason even teams like Barcelona have conceded and now have a shirt sponsor.

We wouldn't sell that amount of shirts extra, just because they are sponsorless. In fact, it's even more reason to buy a teamwear one online for 12 quid
  • edited April 2017
    Barceona and ManU and ManC make 120-250 million dollar shirt deals! Ours is literally .001 that size. 1/10th of 1% the size. To compare us to that is non-sensical. Apples and oranges.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why not make season tickets free. Why not give out the club shirts for free.

Why doesn't Tesco give out bread for free?

It all adds up to the bottom line.
  • edited April 2017

Why not make season tickets free. Why not give out the club shirts for free.

Why doesn't Tesco give out bread for free?

It all adds up to the bottom line.

Nice straw man argument. And not at all my point. But okay, fine, be that way.

• It's not a straw man argument it's argument ad absurdum.

You logic, maths and business case as well as your understanding of the rules on badge sizes are all badly flawed.
  • I don't understand why you think having no sponsor would make thousands and thousands more people buy the shirt.
  • edited April 2017

Halix said:

According to your logic we would need to sell at least 50-60000 shorts EXTRA to make up for a loss of a million pounds sponsorship, and as a lot of fans like shirts with sponsors, no chance.

That's IF our sponsorship is 1 mil. What if it is 250k? Which it might be. Then we would have to sell just 12,500-15,000 shirts to break even. I think we would do that EASILY.

EXTRA shirts.

If having shirt sponsorship means we can sign or retain another player, no one would support turning it down.
  • Can't believe we get anywhere near a million pounds from our shirt sponsor. Personally hate having it. but the business case is undeniable that it can't be turned down by any sensible CEO - now there's a thought!
  • There's some weird old threads on here