Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I'm running the London Marathon this Sunday.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    supaclive said:

To anybody else that has trained for this - good luck. My training has been painful. I've had two knee injuries and currently a very tight hamstring. I did a 22 mile run three weeks ago as final prep and haven't been the same since! My hats off to anybody that puts themselves through this - I'm just aiming to complete it now - no time I'm aiming for due to the knees and hamstring.

Are you running for a charity superclive? If so, which one? and do you have a just giving page?
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Watching from the RoD in the morning cheering on a Charlton mate

See you there...
  • Options

supaclive said:

To anybody else that has trained for this - good luck. My training has been painful. I've had two knee injuries and currently a very tight hamstring. I did a 22 mile run three weeks ago as final prep and haven't been the same since! My hats off to anybody that puts themselves through this - I'm just aiming to complete it now - no time I'm aiming for due to the knees and hamstring.

Are you running for a charity superclive? If so, which one? and do you have a just giving page?
    I am running for Variety @Justin20474 raising money for sick, disabled and disadvantaged children.

Here is my just giving page : http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=spencer-pollard-SAVMLMBONDS3332017-86620743&faId=779445&isTeam=false
  • Options

Applied 3 times now to do this, never successful! So, if it hurts, bloody tough!! You deserve the pain.

It's something like an 8per cent chance of getting a place in the ballot, so if you really want to do it you're likely to need a charity place. They used to have a rule that if you were rejected 4 consecutive times you were guaranteed a place on the 5th application, but they had to stop this a few years back because of the number of applicants. Normally £2k pledge required by most charities but people do tend to be very generous for a Marathon..
    Turn up and run anyway Baz. You can always print yourself a number...
  • Options
    And you can cheat.
  • Options
    Four years since I did it and was one of the best experiences of my life. Some extra poignancy as it was shortly after the Boston Marathon bombings.

Did it in memory of my mum who died the year before which motivated me to train heavily but I'd love to do it again in the next couple of years.

My advice is just to not try anything different. Don't take any of the lucozade gels or anything else that is handed out unless you've had it before (other than water).

Embrace and interact with other runners and the crowd - they give you at least 6 miles in your legs especially in the "boring" bits going in and out of Canary Wharf. Don't bother with music, you'll miss out on the atmosphere.

Best of luck to all runners.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    LenGlover said:

Greenie said:

My middle lad is running his first Marathon on Sunday, he has trained his arse of to get there, we are really proud of him, really looking forward to watching, we've worked out our viewing route.
    Best wishes for a good run Supaclive.

Is that the arse with the Marvin Sordell tattoo or a different son?

Good luck anyway!

:wink:
    Different arse Len
  • Options
    WSS said:

Four years since I did it and was one of the best experiences of my life. Some extra poignancy as it was shortly after the Boston Marathon bombings.

Did it in memory of my mum who died the year before which motivated me to train heavily but I'd love to do it again in the next couple of years.

My advice is just to not try anything different. Don't take any of the lucozade gels or anything else that is handed out unless you've had it before (other than water).

Embrace and interact with other runners and the crowd - they give you at least 6 miles in your legs especially in the "boring" bits going in and out of Canary Wharf. Don't bother with music, you'll miss out on the atmosphere.

Best of luck to all runners.

True that.

Canary wharf is boring ,which tests your mettle because you'll quite possibly be dead on your feet at some point during that section.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

4 hrs 26 despite the knee and hamstring. Had to stop for a pooh after 15 miles - sugar rush after jelly baby intake! Fabulous day. Such great support all the way round. Part of me would love to crack 4 hours injury free.....

Should have done a Radcliffe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    supaclive said:

4 hrs 26 despite the knee and hamstring. Had to stop for a pooh after 15 miles - sugar rush after jelly baby intake! Fabulous day. Such great support all the way round. Part of me would love to crack 4 hours injury free.....

Well done mate. Exactly the same time as I got!

You fancy the both of us having a go next year in a kind of playoff to get this sorted?

;-)
  • Options

supaclive said:

Well done mate. Exactly the same time as I got!

You fancy the both of us having a go next year in a kind of playoff to get this sorted?

;-)
    I can think of better play offs!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Big deal, you run a marathon. You want a medal? :wink: Seriously, well done even with the dodgy knees and hammys.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Well done mate. Am hoping for 4th time lucky innnext years ballot!!
  • Options

supaclive said:

How much is it to enter the London Marathon these days?
  • Options

supaclive said:

How much is it to enter the London Marathon these days?
    It costs about 250 miles
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Very well done - a respectable time especially when injured. Hope the next few days aren't too painful for you.
  • Options
    Still one of the best sporting in London, and the best marathon in the world.

Fantastic day out. Well done @supaclive and everyone else who ran.
  • Options
    @supaclive - that is very close to my first marathon time. I trained for my next one quite differently as I had set the benchmark time and I hit 4hr on the nose so your ambition is very achievable. And it si also a game where you can get better even as you get older.

Any way, hearty congratulations on your achievement, it will definitely stay long in your memory.
  • Options
    I went for a short bike ride this morning to ease the joints and knee. Surprisingly I'm doing ok today. Definitely need to stretch more and wisely warm down correctly in the future. @GreenWithEnvy you may well have just tipped me over the edge for doing it next year!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done and congratulations for your time on finishing @supaclive , looking forward to seeing you and @carly burn fighting it out for the CL decider next year !