Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Somewhere only we know - Lily Allen or Keane ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Keane for me.
  • Options
    Neither. I don't hate them, they're just "meh"
  • Options
    Allen is an attention seeking slosh bucket.
  • Options
    Are Keane still going?
  • Options
    Keane. They wrote it and perform it really well. Lily Allen's version for me doesn't capture the same emotion as the original.
  • Options

Are Keane still going?

No. Amicable split last year, lead singer Tom Chaplin does his own thing.

Talented fella in all honesty if you're prepared to try and look beyond your own genre preferences and actually embrace music holistically. Sovereign Light Cafe by Keane great track with great lyrics by the way. And no, I'm not really a Keane fan but yes, I do tend to try and embrace music holistically.

PS: Make It Last is a great track by Embrace if we're talking about embracing music.

PPS: None of it a patch on Depeche Mode, Editors, Eddie Vedder or Radiohead of course.

PPPS: One well worn, well used, soap box available for hire!!
  • Options
    Tim Rice-Oxley is good friends with my brother - indeed he was joint best man at his wedding - very very talented musician and song writer - Keane hands down all day long - probably in the top 10 of debut albums by a British band of all time - not a crud track on that album whatsoever

As an aside, the first album by Hard-Fi is also up there alongside
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Not a Keane fan at all or a Lily one.

It's Lily for me though.

When I first heard Keane's it didn't register, Allen for all her annoying traits brings a fragility to it.

Think Travis's take on it is the best as a tribute to Mark and Lard. Remember listening to it on the way back from All Tomorrow's Parties at Camber:

https://youtu.be/s0olnAzxoRo
  • Options
    I like both but Lily shades this one singing in accent.
  • Options

Not a Keane fan at all or a Lily one.

It's Lily for me though.

When I first heard Keane's it didn't register, Allen for all her annoying traits brings a fragility to it.

Think Travis's take on it is the best as a tribute to Mark and Lard. Remember listening to it on the way back from All Tomorrow's Parties at Camber:

https://youtu.be/s0olnAzxoRo

That's really clever, I love the quite obviously shi-ameful plagiarists lyric!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Definitely Keane. Lilly Allen changed a great song to a complete mediocre one.

Tim Rice-Oxley is good friends with my brother - indeed he was joint best man at his wedding - very very talented musician and song writer - Keane hands down all day long - probably in the top 10 of debut albums by a British band of all time - not a crud track on that album whatsoever

Agreed. Hard-Fi' first album is great, too.
  • Options

Are Keane still going?

And no, I'm not really a Keane fan but yes, I do tend to try and embrace music holistically.

Does that mean you just play the fucking record and decide if you like it or not?
    If so, this :wink:
  • Options

+1 Hopes and Fears is outstanding.
  • Options
    Didn't get as far as Keane, that Allen version had me zedding away in seconds. zzzzzzzzzz
  • Options

I think they played Hard to Beat from that Hard Fi album on Charlton Live recently and it prompted me to download the album again - came out whilst I was at Uni and was a real soundtrack, went to see them a few times including a trip to Leeds just to watch them and they were great. Shame they couldn't follow it up.
  • Options
    First time I've heard the Lily Allen version and if I didn't know I'd think it was some sort of karaoke version.

So it's Keane for me.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I think they played Hard to Beat from that Hard Fi album on Charlton Live recently and it prompted me to download the album again - came out whilst I was at Uni and was a real soundtrack, went to see them a few times including a trip to Leeds just to watch them and they were great. Shame they couldn't follow it up.
    We're probably of similar age. :wink:

Funnily enough I first saw their name mentioned on a Charlton forum (CAFC-fans iirc). But I didn't get around to listening to their music until Once Upon a Time in the West was released. I liked both albums and soon bought the CD's and a DVD of their performance at The Astoria which I later watched countless times. They came to Shanghai to perform once but unfortunately that was right before I became a serious fan so I didn't know they were coming at the time.

Their third album was disappointing.

Nowadays when I listen to Stars of CCTV I think about my university days. The same goes with Keane's Hopes and Fears, Editors' The Back Room, and Kaiser Chiefs' first two albums... Hopes and Fears and Stars of CCTV are my favourites among those.
  • Options
    Easy, Keane.

Stars of CCTV is a cracking album.
  • Options
    Keane, no question
  • Options
    This one isn't that tough for me
    Keane.
    I thought the other one was a John Lewis advert.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was.