Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Marshall linked (***ed. Signed on a 2yr deal***)

Comments

• Options
    Very happy with this signing. What the hell is going on!!
  • Options

I really do hope he's looking at goal scorers too. Watt leaving leaves us Mac and Novak. Nowhere near enough goals.

Is Tony Watt leaving then?
    Was he ever really here?
  • Options

I hadn't read previous comments and it was a poor attempt at humour. No offence meant

Said with my very best Brian Clough accent.

"And let that be a good lesson to you young man."
  • Options
    As others have said if he's signing as an addition to Holmes it's great news, but if it's just a replacement then it's a step back.
  • Options
    My Bradford season ticket holding mate is devasted and has echoed how we have given him big wages as they offered him big £.
  • Options
    Good signing.
  • Options
    Great signing, sounds like Millwall wanted him as well? Didn't realise he was 30, but he might actually be at his peak right now
  • Options

As others have said if he's signing as an addition to Holmes it's great news, but if it's just a replacement then it's a step back.

Even though I do agree with this, if Holmes is going anyway, signing Marshall is, in practice, even more important.

I fear that Holmes will leave but mainly because the clubs courting him can offer him something that we, clearly, cannot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keep Holmes and have the young lad from arsenal on the bench can see us creating a lot more chances
  • Options

SDAddick said:

My initial reaction to the little bits and pieces I've seen of him he looked decent, but he's a 30-year-old League One winger. It's a decent signing (and admittedly the type that could get us out of this division if we get it right), but I'm not quite as enthused as some on here.

That said, I've just seen this and it brought a big smile to my face. Seems like a very nice chap. Hope he rises to cult hero status. Love the fact that if he wasn't a footballer he'd want to be a psychologist.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmdjYfB1l8k

Ricky Holmes was a 28 year old winger who'd never played above league 2.
    And I thought he was overrated when we signed him as well*! And damnit, that will come true one day as well!

I actually didn't, but point taken.
  • Options
    If the Bradford fan is right and we have Marshall good wages, then why not give that to Holmes and keep him as well?
  • Options
    Sounds like a good signing (great name as well Mark!) and good luck. Despite the doom and gloom, things seem to be trickling slowly towards the makings of a good team. We were what, 12 or 13 points off the plays offs last season? Too many draws under both managers, but convert four or five into wins and we'd be there (albeit a long way off 1st & 2nd place).

My only slight worry is that we should be constructing a team capable of promotion and then keeping us in the Championship in 18/19, and signing players like Mark doesn't necessarily tick all those boxes.

Still, we can live in hope that Meire & Roland have long since gone by then.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    The fact their fans did not want Clarke and that KR never met with him and just chatted by phone, makes my blood boil. We have a manager with no work ethic to do due diligence because we have an ownership like that.
  • Options
    This seems like a nice addition and I know everyone wants Holmes back, but having our best two at the front aged 30 to start a season seems like very short-term thinking.

Especially given we could have David Ball, age 27, on a free. Ben Reeves, age 25, on a free. George Thomas, age 21, on a free, and without a single transfer fee add three good forwards, all of whom have years ahead, and all of whom scored 10-14 last season.

I really wish we were building for the long-term.
  • Options

This seems like a nice addition and I know everyone wants Holmes back, but having our best two at the front aged 30 to start a season seems like very short-term thinking.

Especially given we could have David Ball, age 27, on a free. Ben Reeves, age 25, on a free. George Thomas, age 21, on a free, and without a single transfer fee add three good forwards, all of whom have years ahead, and all of whom scored 10-14 last season.

You mean until Christmas :smiley:
  • Options

Have those 3 signed for anyone yet? Two older signings doesn't mean all signings will be old.
  • Options
    I guess they have not signed yet, although Ball is rumored to be signing for Rotherham as soon as Monday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If the Bradford fan is right and we have Marshall good wages, then why not give that to Holmes and keep him as well?

It might not be about wages though. IF Holmes wants Championship football, we can't offer that. It's like Lukaku getting twitchy because he wants CL football...
  • Options

I guess they have not signed yet, although Ball is rumored to be signing for Rotherham as soon as Monday.

Good wages competing against league 1 clubs is very different to competing against championship clubs. Guarentee Holmes will be demanding far more than Marshall will be on.
  • Options
    Gammon said:

My Bradford season ticket holding mate is devasted and has echoed how we have given him big wages as they offered him big £.

I like opposotion fans being upset -nothing personal, but it is a positive about teh abilities of the player.
  • Options
    If Holmes goes, then we have Marshall as a replacement. If Holmes stays, they can both play in the same team. A number of those goals in Marshall's video, show him coming in from the right wing.

• Options

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/15353811.Abbott_says_Bantams_went__beyond_call_of_duty__in_trying_to_keep_Charlton_bound_Marshall/

Now remember if he'd left us for more money he would be a greedy bastard but as he joined us it's to further his career at a bigger club : - )

Just to clarify I have no problem either way, it's how football works, but there is often a double standard from fans depending on which end of the deal they are on.

This is the equivalent of the Yann story for me.
  • Options

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/15353811.Abbott_says_Bantams_went__beyond_call_of_duty__in_trying_to_keep_Charlton_bound_Marshall/

Now remember if he'd left us for more money he would be a greedy bastard but as he joined us it's to further his career at a bigger club : - )

Just to clarify I have no problem either way, it's how football works, but there is often a double standard from fans depending on which end of the deal they are on.

I thought he was out of contract, and because of Bosman Marshall can exercise choice. Bradford fans can ask questions about his contract running out, as we were doing with Poyet.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I thought he was out of contract, and because of Bosman Marshall can exercise choice. Bradford fans can ask questions about his contract running out, as we were doing with Poyet.
    It's the nature of modern football, give someone a short 2 year contract and there's a real risk of getting nothing after 2 years. Give them a 5 years contract, and there's the risk you get stuck with highly paid rubbish that you can't move on...