Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Marshall linked (***ed. Signed on a 2yr deal***)

Comments

• Options

(1) Excellent signing... Really happy that we've brought him in
    (2) We'd better not be saying Goodbye to Ricky Holmes
    (3) I hope Josh Magennis is currently rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of the assists he'll get from those two

This
    Keep Holmes and we have a chance
  • Options
    Hate to say it as well but if Nathan Thompson is our last bit of business I wont be too disappointed (I'll still be disappointed just not as much)
  • Options
    I hadn't read previous comments and it was a poor attempt at humour. No offence meant
  • Options
    edited June 2017
  • Options

(3) I hope Josh Magennis is currently rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of the assists he'll get from those two

And hope that Josh doesn't celebrate by raiding the fridge.

• Options

And hope that Josh doesn't celebrate by raiding the fridge.

Igor and Tony beat him to it
  • Options
    Excellent signing! Welcome Mark, really hoping Ricky signs new contract now! Both of them in the side would be amazing! Also are we signing all Bradford's team ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going by Bradford fans it seems we've offered him significantly more than they did. Seen one say it's more than they've ever offered a player at this level.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

If it's in addition to Holmes, that's good.

If it's to replace him, it's a step back.

I'm sure the club will announce next week the departure of Holmes.
    Just when you seemed to be cheering up :wink:
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

This.
  • Options
    He was a fair player back in the day - but he is 31, so we will see.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    An excellent signing for L1 level. He's without doubt one of the top L1 players.

Plus he's played with Clarke recently and Holmes a few years ago at Barnet.

If we can get Reeves and keep Holmes, we certainly should be challenging for the play offs, presuming the tactics and attitude are right.
  • Options
    Genuinely believe that if we can have a 3 of Marshall, Reeves and Holmes behind Magennis, plus a couple of other attacking players as well as Clarke, someone like Mavididi and whoever.. there won't be many teams with a stronger attack than that.

It's a great signing but it must be followed up now and we have to keep Holmes.

Long way to go yet.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

This.
    Agree but I still expect Holmes to leave, probably a week before the window shuts.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Davo55 said:

This.
    Agree but I still expect Holmes to leave, probably a week before the window shuts.
    Have to say my thought on seeing this was 'replacement for Holmes'.

No doubt a capable League One player. But: he's 30 and scores approximately 1 goal in every 10 games.
  • Options
    As alluded to above, a trio of Holmes, Marshall and one other (Reeves maybe) would be far and away the best in the division, Magennis is a very good striker to lead the line and Forster- Caskey, Konsa and Aribo in central midfield is solid enough, especially with Crofts and Jackson still around. Factor in players like Watt and Ajose (who give the option to maybe switch to 442) floating around as well as Clarke and the attack looks very strong. Defence still looks shaky but if we get in Thompson and maybe one other, the team actually looks alright for once. It all boils down to Holmes though imo; letting him go would be a real blow but keeping him would be a statement of intent to the rest of the division that we're going to go for it this year.
  • Options
    Fantastic signing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

Genuinely believe that if we can have a 3 of Marshall, Reeves and Holmes behind Magennis, plus a couple of other attacking players as well as Clarke, someone like Mavididi and whoever.. there won't be many teams with a stronger attack than that.

Long way to go yet.

At the beginning of last season I remember an article saying that we had the best attacking force in League 1, where did that one go?
  • Options
    Would be a major disappointment if Holmes left now that we are beginning to cobble together a squad that could challenge for promotion . Another couple of quality signings could make him stay .
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ross1 said:

Sage said:

Long way to go yet.

At the beginning of last season I remember an article saying that we had the best attacking force in League 1, where did that one go?
    Questions have got to be asked as to who wrote the article. On paper we have great League One strikers, Magennis, Ajose, Novak. We didn't have the creativity for them to score the goals they have previously. Albeit we did have Lookman and Holmes, we over relied on those two far too much.

If we sign Reeves and keep Holmes, that is easily one of the best attacking 3 to play behind a main striker in this league. That's my point, we would then have the creativity we sorely lacked last season.
  • Options
    Good signing.

My favourite part of that Bradford forum is them complaining about their new German owners. Could be worse Bradford, could be worse.
  • Options
    We also need backup for Magennis.

Quite a few times last season he proved that he could pick up the odd injury so we'll need someone to cover him. I guess though that could be a secondary position for Clarke or be the reason for trying to get Mavididi
  • Options
    Please don't think less of me, but I was at the play off final and he was Bradford's best player v Millwall.

Good signing tbf.
  • Options

Going by Bradford fans it seems we've offered him significantly more than they did. Seen one say it's more than they've ever offered a player at this level.

I find that hard to believe, at the end of the day contract negotiations are private, the exact numbers are confidential

Hopefully the Marshall signing will put as marker down to other potential signings (and indeed Holmes and Magennis) that we will mean business this year.
  • Options
    Seems he wanted to move down south. Surprised he didn't sign for Carlisle.
  • Options
    Disappointed if this signing means we're not in for Ronaldo
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    My initial reaction to the little bits and pieces I've seen of him he looked decent, but he's a 30-year-old League One winger. It's a decent signing (and admittedly the type that could get us out of this division if we get it right), but I'm not quite as enthused as some on here.

That said, I've just seen this and it brought a big smile to my face. Seems like a very nice chap. Hope he rises to cult hero status. Love the fact that if he wasn't a footballer he'd want to be a psychologist.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmdjYfB1l8k