Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lions Tour 2017

Comments

• AB's deserved to win, but they do get away with murder, lots of obstruction and holding players in at the ruck.

Saying that the lions missed too many tackles and needed to take their chances.

Roll on next test, wood like to see three changes to the side.
  • You can't afford to have an unhelpful ref against the All Blacks!

Not at all, he was fine.
  • edited June 2017
    That New Zealand team is an awesome machine. They play with an intensity that you just don't see in northern hemisphere rugby. The 15 point margin flattered the Lions though their first half try was something special.
  • I am not bothered by missing winning my bet.
    The lions showed a bit of fight. I can only see the All Blacks getting better. There was nothing wrong with the referee. That sounds like sour grapes.
  • Some good play from the Lions, stunning first try, great lineouts, but All Blacks can always just step up a gear. Rarely matters what you do, they just have that ability to do more. Some of their offloads, scooping balls up at speed & under pressure. They play the game mentally about 2 seconds ahead of anyone else. Just excellent to watch.

That said, I don't think it is beyond the Lions to get a win next week. They had chances, but you have to convert against the best. Sloppiness needs to be eradicated too. Not paying attention was unforgivable for two tries.
  • Read all the comments on the game and we all seem to agree that once again we didn't take our chances.....though I think we'd have lost anyway.
    This has been a glaring problem from day one of the tour.
  • edited June 2017
    Does anyone else think like me that the whole "Lions" thing is a bit outdated?
    Rugby Union is such a technical and tactical sport these day and especially at international level. To take players from four different teams that play different types of rugby and expect them to perform as a cohesive, well oiled team playing the game in a different way in a very short period of time when they have just finished their home international season is asking a lot, indeed too much I'd say. Ok the Welsh have had Gatland as their coach for years but the other guys haven't.
    I really think the England team would do better against the All Blacks in the modern game. The British Lions is a lovely romantic notion but stems from the heady amateur days of rugby union and I think its days are over.

A blatant unpunished late tackle early doors and forward passes leading to two tries. A lot of penalties given away that were not obvious to a non-player, and NZ TV gave no replays of any offence. Bring on a French ref.

A blatant unpunished late tackle early doors and forward passes leading to two tries. A lot of penalties given away that were not obvious to a non-player, and NZ TV gave no replays of any offence. Bring on a French ref.
    Don't forget the spear tackle on BOD, 41 secs into the first test in 2007, IIRC it went unpunished.
  • Wellington is buzzing for the Hurricanes game tonight. It will be a tough one for the mid-week Lions side with a lot of All Blacks up against them. About 25,000 visitors are in town for the game tonight and the Test on Saturday and about 3/4 of them are Lions supporters
  • Sponsored links:

• Wellington is buzzing for the Hurricanes game tonight. It will be a tough one for the mid-week Lions side with a lot of All Blacks up against them. About 25,000 visitors are in town for the game tonight and the Test on Saturday and about 3/4 of them are Lions supporters
  • Boy oh boy......... did we throw that one away!
  • edited June 2017
    Team for 2nd Test. No real real surprises. Although I was expecting Henderson to start ahead of AWJ.

• edited June 2017
    That team will not beat the All Blacks. How Courtney Lawes or Iain Henderson doesn't play is beyond me. Ben Teo can also count himself very unlucky. I have put another bet on New Zealand beating us by twenty or more points.
  • It's tour rugby, so it's always like to change up, but I think it's clear Gatland doesn't know who his best second row partnership is (the correct answer being Itoje and Lawes, a man he seems afraid to select), he doesn't know who his best half backs are (the correct answer is Murray & Farrell) and he's trying to get around this by picking both Sexton and Farrell in the team leaving us without defensive strength of Te'o at inside.

I also think, regardless of who he picks, he's made such a hash of this tour we'll get battered whatever happens.

The good news is Eddie Jones' Lions square are gonna tear SA apart in four years time, after his re-surging England side win the RWC in Japan.
  • It's tour rugby, so it's always like to change up, but I think it's clear Gatland doesn't know who his best second row partnership is (the correct answer being Itoje and Lawes, a man he seems afraid to select), he doesn't know who his best half backs are (the correct answer is Murray & Farrell) and he's trying to get around this by picking both Sexton and Farrell in the team leaving us without defensive strength of Te'o at inside.

I also think, regardless of who he picks, he's made such a hash of this tour we'll get battered whatever happens.

The good news is Eddie Jones' Lions square are gonna tear SA apart in four years time, after his re-surging England side win the RWC in Japan.

Some very sweeping statements there JR.
    I think it's the current very high standard of NZ rugby that's made a hash of our tour way more than Gatland.
  • I think Gatland is too tied up with Wales. The picking of Alan Wyn Jones sums that up. We need to be quicker and more aggressive around the break down. Lawes and Itoje will give you that. In the first test the box kick by Murray was done to death. This played right into the hands of the All Blacks. We need to keep the ball in hand more. The only way that we are going to beat the All Blacks is to starve them of quick ball.
  • edited June 2017

It's tour rugby, so it's always like to change up, but I think it's clear Gatland doesn't know who his best second row partnership is (the correct answer being Itoje and Lawes, a man he seems afraid to select), he doesn't know who his best half backs are (the correct answer is Murray & Farrell) and he's trying to get around this by picking both Sexton and Farrell in the team leaving us without defensive strength of Te'o at inside.

Completely agree re Gatland.

His selection of AWJ ahead of Lawes or Henderson is such a bad call.
  • I would also have dropped AWJ out of the squad, but kept Kruis and Itoje as the second rowers. Play most of their rugby together with Sarries, Kruis was below par last week but still ruled the line out. Think with Itoje alongside him again, it would bring about the improvement.
    I would have kept the backs as the same, that wasn't the reason we lost last week, it was mainly cos of the breakdown and physicality. Picking Warburton and Itoje will certainly improve that respect.
    I certainly worry about Sonny Bill vs Farrell, I love Farrell think he's world class but we shouldn't underestimate how good Teo'o was at limiting Sonny's influence last week
  • edited June 2017

It's tour rugby, so it's always like to change up, but I think it's clear Gatland doesn't know who his best second row partnership is (the correct answer being Itoje and Lawes, a man he seems afraid to select), he doesn't know who his best half backs are (the correct answer is Murray & Farrell) and he's trying to get around this by picking both Sexton and Farrell in the team leaving us without defensive strength of Te'o at inside.

Some very sweeping statements there JR.
    I think it's the current very high standard of NZ rugby that's made a hash of our tour way more than Gatland.
    I'm not saying with another coach at the helm we'd have gone over there and blown then out of the water. But I believe with a better set up we could have been more competitive.

That's not all down to Gatland, mind. The desire to cram as many games as possible in (good to see they addressing this for the SA tour) doesn't help. A shorter tour of provincial (Super Rugby) sides, followed by three tour games with a smaller and tighter squad could also have improved our chances.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll ask again:

Rugby Union is such a technical and tactical sport these day and especially at international level. To take players from four different teams that play different types of rugby and expect them to perform as a cohesive, well oiled team playing the game in a different way in a very short period of time when they have just finished their home international season is asking a lot, indeed too much I'd say. Ok the Welsh have had Gatland as their coach for years but the other guys haven't.
    I really think the England team would do better against the All Blacks in the modern game. The British Lions is a lovely romantic notion but stems from the heady amateur days of rugby union and I think its days are over.
  • I'll ask again:

I typed this on here on June 7th ...

t b h, I have thought for quite a while that the Lions, although a worthy and honourable concept, is outdated ..
    they might just beat Australia, but against NZ there is just not enough time to mould a totally together and coherent team to take on the very best and in selecting 'the best' Lions side, there will always be too much compromise ..
    individual national teams have a much better chance, e.g. Ireland last year (a rare occurrence) .. national teams are accustomed to playing together and organising tactics in what is an increasingly pre-rehearsed and complicated sport

• So its not just me!
  • Hi NomadicAddick, it's not just you but judging by the anticipation and buzz around the Lions in NZ I can assure you may just be in the minority.

The Lions squad this time is not laden with household names like Cliff Morgan, Gareth Morgan, Barry John, Williams and many others. BUT, if they win one of the next two Tests more names may be added to the list.

If we were to win one of the two remaining Tests, would you revise your opinion I wonder.

On a personal note, I find international rugby a bit ho-hum with the All Blacks playing the Aussies, Springboks etc every other week when the international season starts. The Lions only come out every 12 years. Let's keep them.
  • Definite red for Sonny Bill Williams there. Pretty cowardly shoulder into Watson's and thought he'd get away with it on blindside. Not sure, even a man down, whether NZ are any weaker though. Good game do far.
  • Awful to watch on the slo mo.

Love watching Itoje play
  • What a chance this is.
  • Still fancy the All Blacks with 14 men. The Lions need to calm it down.
  • Not as compelling to watch as last week but the sending off has made it very interesting.
  • Lions were 4/1 at KO now 8/11