Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Theresa May statement 11.15am

Comments

• Options
    general election
  • Options
    Talking to Andrew Marr in September 2016

• Options

LenGlover said:

Did they not change the rules to a 5 year fixed term government thus removing the discretion to call an election at any time?

does that still apply as she hasn't actually been elected herself?
    I don't see why that should change anything; as the leader of the ruling/majority party and a member of parliament who has won her own constituency, she's been voted in just like every other Prime Minister to be fair. (i.e via her local constituency)
  • Options
    Changing the formation of the Cabinet to a 4-2-3-1?
  • Options
    Curbs 16/1
  • Options
    She is moving to Washington to live with Trump
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Did they not change the rules to a 5 year fixed term government thus removing the discretion to call an election at any time?

does that still apply as she hasn't actually been elected herself?

It does still apply. We don't elect prime ministers.

However, there are work-arounds - from the notes to the Act quoted in the Guardian.

The Act also makes provision to enable the holding of early parliamentary general elections. The trigger for such general elections would be either a vote of no confidence in the Government, following which the House of Commons did not pass a motion of confidence in a Government within 14 days, or a vote by at least two-thirds of all MPs in favour of an early election.

• Options
    *Appleton photo*
  • Options
    John Terry annouces he's leaving Chelsea and 24-hours later we get this announcement - Coincidence, I think NOT!!
  • Options
    Not sure how we can vote in election when we don't know what the outcome of the Brexit negotiations are. Tories getting another five years before it all goes tits up with Europe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs. 16/1
  • Options
    General Election - June 8th.
  • Options
    Tories will get a majority that will mean they don't have to compromise - sadly.
  • Options

Fair play to her, I understand the strategy behind it - but can't say I agree with another distraction as we approach Brexit negotiations.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Talking to Andrew Marr in September 2016

The Katrien Meire school of statements.
  • Options

Not sure how we can vote in election when we don't know what the outcome of the Brexit negotiations are. Tories getting another five years before it all goes tits up with Europe.

Nail and head.
  • Options
    confirmed a general election. fook.
  • Options
    General election it is then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it's the right decision
  • Options
    Katrien 2/1 on
  • Options
    Why did she start her speech early?
  • Options
    One last chance to rid ourselves of the tories and their dreams of deregulated serfdom.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

it's the right decision

U wot m8?
  • Options
    Hope you guys followed my tip last year on the late lamented Brexit thread.

General Election before 2018 - Evens with Ladbrokes !!!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Nail and head.
    or you can look at it the other way, that she has received backing for her Brexit negotiations.
  • Options
    What a wonderful personality that woman has.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

stonemuse said:

it's the right decision

U wot m8?
    Then she is either elected officially or not
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!