Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Theresa May statement 11.15am

Comments

• Options
    Hmm, yeah, the 'resign' bit was what I was going for. Don't wish ill health on her.
  • Options
    Resigning to save her marriage
  • Options
    Give it to Rees Mogg surely
  • Options
    SDAddick to finally be granted citizenship? Currently 33/1 with bookies.
  • Options
    Would make complete sense to call for an election. No opposition to speak of with Corbin as labour leader. As a labour supporter ( not a Corbyn supporter) I think it's a good thing. Corbyn would have to resign when she wins easily and we can get on with becoming a proper opposition again .
  • Options
    The queen has died and Charles has used the royal perogative to dissolve government and rule by decree.
  • Options

Would make complete sense to call for an election. No opposition to speak of with Corbin as labour leader. As a labour supporter ( not a Corbyn supporter) I think it's a good thing. Corbyn would have to resign when she wins easily and we can get on with becoming a proper opposition again .

labour and corbyn have plateaued and have slightly risen in some polls in the past month, indicating that he will never be as unpopular as he is at the moment, so yes it makes sense to finally cash in on corbyn.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    June 8th Election seems to be the main rumour now.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Could be both - resigning and calling an election.
  • Options
    Erection on 8th of June about the same time I'm due my next one
  • Options
    Served her purpose, now for an election and May to cash in as a after dinner speak for the rest of her life
  • Options

The purpose of the Fixed term legislation was to take away the unfair benefit a sitting Prime Minister had to call an election when the polls were good. For her to override that there would need to be a fundamental justification and the HoC would have to vote on overriding the legislation with at least 70% voting in favour.

Let's see what she says first.
  • Options
    Don't need am election if true - more chaos. Fixed term elections obviously nonsense....
  • Options
    The smart money is on Theresa May standing down due to ill health. She does have diabetes.

If she is to stand down, there will most likely be a General Election, on the basis that it would be unlikely to have two unelected Prime Ministers on the trot.
  • Options
    Did they not change the rules to a 5 year fixed term government thus removing the discretion to call an election at any time?
  • Options
    Referendum on whether SE7 gets Home Rule so that it has the power to ban Belgians from the area.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The last time the lectern was used without a Gov't insignia was when Cameron called the General election on 30 March 2015 - refers to lectern already outside Downing St.

BBC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

June 8th Election seems to be the main rumour now.

18th may wouldve been okay for me, got a job finishing just before then and things tend to drop off for a month before the election, which would clearly be a tory win, so business as usual. If its the 8th of june then i've gotta wait a few weeks for things to start up again :/
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Did they not change the rules to a 5 year fixed term government thus removing the discretion to call an election at any time?

I think if 2/3rds of MPs vote in favour election, they can still call it. Corbyn has said he would support such a vote.
  • Options
    Laura Kuenssberg ✔ @bbclaurak
    Hearing May will announce General Election for June 8th - one source not confirmed
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Requires a majority vote in the HoC from what I just read, not sure if it's true. Apparently that's a majority which is quite likely too.
  • Options

The smart money is on Theresa May standing down due to ill health. She does have diabetes.

If she is to stand down, there will most likely be a General Election, on the basis that it would be unlikely to have two unelected Prime Ministers on the trot.

Her advisor has just had just had a go at Adam Boulton for even suggesting it and said she would put in a complaint to his bosses for doing so , so that's unlikely.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

does that still apply as she hasn't actually been elected herself?
  • Options
    Confirmed 8th June GE
  • Options

LenGlover said:

I think if 2/3rds of MPs vote in favour election, they can still call it. Corbyn has said he would support such a vote.

... did he actually understand the question?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!