Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Gallen - joins to help with recruitment

2»

Comments

• Options

"Once a player has been identified, it is down the Gallen to negotiate and finalise the deal. This is new for him. “Since we lost Katrien [Meire], she did all the deals, I’m doing that now, so there is added responsibility there, it’s not just Chief Scout it’s also organising the deals with Chris Parkes who has been really, really helpful.

“It would be much easier if I had more money but when you are in the position where you spend the club’s money, you have to spend it as it is your own. You have to be tight, so it’s lucky that I’m tight in real life as well. I’m not just tight at home, I’m tight with Charlton’s money. You have to respect that it is not your money, we have a budget and the owner is selling the club so that all factors in. You have to be sure. If I’m going to go to Roland [Duchatelet] and fight for someone you have to be really confident. If I rate a player I’ve got to sell it to everyone here, to the other club and to the player, to any agents.”

Very good interview and came over very well at Bromley Addicks.

This is what Curbs used to do - a master of it, and anything that was good for Curbs should be good enough for anyone working at the club now.

• Options

Gallen described it as him doing all the tricky wing work, beating the player, getting in the box only for Karel Fraeye to tap the ball in from two yards ie he does the leg work and Bowyer convinces them to sign.

Fumbluff said:

And he said he used to be brothers with Bradley Gallen....

Weird how QPR followed the Allen dynasty with the Gallen dynasty!
  • Options
    These three really could get us back. We just need that takeover and a bit of luck.
  • Options

A football person left to get on with football recruitment and what you know it works.

Shame it’s taken Roland to loss intresrest for it to be out in place

Imagine we had someone like Gallen in place in 2014 or 2015...

2015/16 was a shocker in terms of transfer dealings. Inappropriate players, big wages, panic free agents and loan signings. A disaster on the pitch, and just as bad financially
    None of this nonsense in this league would’ve needed to happen. With the right recruitment and having Gallen in sooner, I think we would be competitive in the Championship.
  • Options

A football person left to get on with football recruitment and what you know it works.

Shame it’s taken Roland to loss intresrest for it to be out in place

The right football person.
    Like Phil chapel and Chris Powell

I know I should move on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:

Interesting and unusual that the Chief Scout is also negotiating deals, something well outside the usual job spec for that role. It partially makes him more like a Director of Football

He's only ended up there by accident. With Daisy and Joyes gone Roland isn't paying out for a replacement to negotiate deals so Gallen is left acting up to CEO rank.
    Beat me to it.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

SDAddick said:

Been really impressed with Gallen, he really seems to know his stuff

Assuming it was a Robinson appointment, we have to acknowledge that he did a good job there in bringing him in

I think something Robinson doesn't get enough credit for is his record with transfers (probably forgetting some):
    Page
    JFC
    Clarke
    Fosu
    Marshall
    Reeves

Loans:
    DaSilva (x2)
    Mav (x2)
    Amos
    Kaikai
    Dodoo
    Zyro

Apart from Dodoo, who was, let's be honest, pure desperation after losing our second choice center forward just before the window closed, all can be considered decent bits of business. Kaikai didn't work out, but he did have a good record at this level and reportedly had a lot of suitors. Zyro just wasn't fit when he joined us, but he was a player of real quality on his day. He suffered from big man syndrome at times, like Mak did a couple years ago, where the team just wanted to launch it long to him when he actually was a really good technical player who wanted it on his chest or to feet. Mav looked unplayable at the start of both of his stints, and then injuries got in the way. Amos and DaSilva both obviously very good signings.

On the permanent side, we obviously haven't seen the best out of Marshall, but it's another one where it made sense on paper. I think we've only recently begun to see what Reeves can do, but on his day he's quite good at this level. And the rest I think can all be considered successes.
    Imagine having that much quality available to you, but being 25 points off the automatic promotion spots come March 2018. Robinson gets too much credit from some people.

I don't think he ever had all of those available to him at once. Reeves, Marshall, Clarke, Fosu, Mav, Zyro, and Page all missed decent chunks with injury/getting back to fitness.

He was obviously not good enough as a manager for the style of football he wanted to play. But I don't understand people actively cheering his failures. That's what I mean when I say he doesn't get enough credit sometimes. We're only 4 points better off this season than we were last season. Though things obviously feel different under Bowyer, and we are better under Bowyer, it's not like as drastic a change in outcomes, to this point, as some seem to think. I do absolutely agree that by February he had run out of ideas and ways to change our fortune.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Assuming it was a Robinson appointment, we have to acknowledge that he did a good job there in bringing him in

I think something Robinson doesn't get enough credit for is his record with transfers (probably forgetting some):
    Page
    JFC
    Clarke
    Fosu
    Marshall
    Reeves

Loans:
    DaSilva (x2)
    Mav (x2)
    Amos
    Kaikai
    Dodoo
    Zyro

Apart from Dodoo, who was, let's be honest, pure desperation after losing our second choice center forward just before the window closed, all can be considered decent bits of business. Kaikai didn't work out, but he did have a good record at this level and reportedly had a lot of suitors. Zyro just wasn't fit when he joined us, but he was a player of real quality on his day. He suffered from big man syndrome at times, like Mak did a couple years ago, where the team just wanted to launch it long to him when he actually was a really good technical player who wanted it on his chest or to feet. Mav looked unplayable at the start of both of his stints, and then injuries got in the way. Amos and DaSilva both obviously very good signings.

On the permanent side, we obviously haven't seen the best out of Marshall, but it's another one where it made sense on paper. I think we've only recently begun to see what Reeves can do, but on his day he's quite good at this level. And the rest I think can all be considered successes.
    Imagine having that much quality available to you, but being 25 points off the automatic promotion spots come March 2018. Robinson gets too much credit from some people.

This is notwithstanding of the utter bollocks he used to talk.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Page
    JFC
    Clarke
    Fosu
    Marshall
    Reeves

Loans:
    DaSilva (x2)
    Mav (x2)
    Amos
    Kaikai
    Dodoo
    Zyro

I don't think he ever had all of those available to him at once. Reeves, Marshall, Clarke, Fosu, Mav, Zyro, and Page all missed decent chunks with injury/getting back to fitness.

He was obviously not good enough as a manager for the style of football he wanted to play. But I don't understand people actively cheering his failures. That's what I mean when I say he doesn't get enough credit sometimes. We're only 4 points better off this season than we were last season. Though things obviously feel different under Bowyer, and we are better under Bowyer, it's not like as drastic a change in outcomes, to this point, as some seem to think. I do absolutely agree that by February he had run out of ideas and ways to change our fortune.
    You say only, but take away 4 points from us now and we're in 8th place. That's a very important extra 4 points which Bowyer has enabled us to gain over Robinson.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Page
    JFC
    Clarke
    Fosu
    Marshall
    Reeves

Loans:
    DaSilva (x2)
    Mav (x2)
    Amos
    Kaikai
    Dodoo
    Zyro

You say only, but take away 4 points from us now and we're in 8th place. That's a very important extra 4 points which Bowyer has enabled us to gain over Robinson.
    Absolutely, I'm not meaning that to take away from Bowyer. I think he's a much better coach right now. My point was simply that the point tallies aren't that drastically different.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Page
    JFC
    Clarke
    Fosu
    Marshall
    Reeves

Loans:
    DaSilva (x2)
    Mav (x2)
    Amos
    Kaikai
    Dodoo
    Zyro

Absolutely, I'm not meaning that to take away from Bowyer. I think he's a much better coach right now. My point was simply that the point tallies aren't that drastically different.
    And has Bowyer had all of the first team available to him this season? Bowyer couldn't even name a full bench in our first game of the season against Sunderland.

Also, you state that we are only 4 points better off than last season, but you completely neglect to mention the context. Bowyer is working with a smaller budget and most of his signings were made after the season had started. For example, Bielik, Cullen, Steer and Ward. Furthermore, Bowyer has given the whole club a lift.

Finally, to even have to question why people actively cheer Robinson's failures is to grossly misunderstand how SOME (not all) Charlton fans viewed him. The man ditched us for Oxford United when the wheels were coming off, and don't believe the b*llocks about a takeover as the reason for why he left us as we are still owned by Roland. He was tactically inflexible, too emotional, thought too much of himself and spoke utter tosh (which some bizarrely intepreted as honesty for reasons I still fail to understand). Some Oxford fans will back this up as they are saying the same things about him now. Robinson is a charlatan who's living off the back of beating Man U in the cup 5 years ago.

So, yes, Robinson does get too much credit from some people.