Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Gillingham post match views

Comments

• Don't get the above.
    clb74 said:

I feel gutted for the lady who was taking her boy of about 12 to the game.
    First game they have ever been to.
    Walked them down to the ground to show them where to get their tickets even bought the lad a programme.
    Probably got the boy hooked a 3-0 win.
    First win I've seen since October

You didn't get her number by any chance?
  • I don't know whether it's fair to call the referee today, Mr Huxtable a homer, but the chants of "you fat bastard" from the Gillingham fans did have a grain of truth about them :smile:
  • 1StevieG said:

sorry, "PWG" ?

Posting Without Gagging. Or Going.
    1StevieG said:

sorry, "PWG" ?

Posting While Gurning
  • A funny match in that we consistently looked dangerous and won 3-0, but also looked really open and vulnerable at the back.

EVERY match we look vulnerable down the flanks, being a full back under KR is a thankless task, as any protection you get will be really hit or miss. Both fullback with DaSilva and Byrne playing are really fast and great breaking forward, which begs the question why Konsa doesn't play in a back 3, as he's largely a waste of space in midfield, dallying on the ball and getting caught, and then getting a nosebleed when attacking. It's not as if Konsa is playing in a defensive shield role either, as Crofts was doing that.

Konsa MUST play. He has to be in the shop window. He looks slow & lost in midfield to me.
  • 1StevieG said:

sorry, "PWG" ?

1StevieG said:

sorry, "PWG" ?

Posting While Gurning
    Posting With Gandalf.
  • Brilliant to see a 3-0 win. We played well, but we've played better this season and lost.

The Gills totally lost the plot late on & the amount of air kick shots were unbelieveable.

Holmes MOM, as he is most games. Da Silva & Pearce were also excellent.

Safe at last, we can relax.
  • A funny match in that we consistently looked dangerous and won 3-0, but also looked really open and vulnerable at the back.

EVERY match we look vulnerable down the flanks, being a full back under KR is a thankless task, as any protection you get will be really hit or miss. Both fullback with DaSilva and Byrne playing are really fast and great breaking forward, which begs the question why Konsa doesn't play in a back 3, as he's largely a waste of space in midfield, dallying on the ball and getting caught, and then getting a nosebleed when attacking. It's not as if Konsa is playing in a defensive shield role either, as Crofts was doing that.

Konsa MUST play. He has to be in the shop window. He looks slow & lost in midfield to me.
    Is it a secret plan to continually play him in the wrong position, so that he looks crap and thus attracts no interest from other clubs?
  • We took 3 points off a very poor team, had their finishing been better it could quite easily have ended 4-3.

As we have for a lot of this season, we show glimpses of great play, sadly they are surrounded by really poor football almost all over the pitch and poor attitudes.

It's a similar situation to when Powell first took over, and just like then it's going to need a huge clear out of bodies and some will be unpopular.

I can see maybe 1 or 2 players that have started the last few games being here next year, Pearce and maybe JJ in a player/coach role. Outside of that I think the majority of the rest will go. The question of course will remain, who is the owner and who the manager is. If it's the status quo then I don't see next season being much of an improvement.
  • PWR

For the first 20 minutes there was only one team in it today and it wasn't us.

Fortunately when we created or were given opportunities we converted them unlike a profligate Gillingham. I do wonder what might have happened had Cody McDonald hit the net rather than the side netting in the first half.

On the day the fact we were that bit more clinical was the difference and 54 points should see us safe in league 1 for another season.

Whether we can avoid our lowest finish since 1926 is however still very much in the air.

A 3-0 win should make me feel euphoric and eager to wax lyrical but all I really feel is relief and I don't even have too much inclination to post about it. The main good thing on a personal level was that my daughter was around to come with me today so I guess I've said all I need to say about the game to her.

All I will say here is thank God for Ricky Holmes! Scored a deserved goal from a free kick and instrumental in all that was good for us. I noticed that Crofts led our team out but Ricky seemed to be doing all the cajoling of the others as well as most of the work on the pitch. I really do hope we can hang onto him for next season. Nice to see young Dasilva do the tunnel jump at the end as he too had a decent game.

• Sponsored links:

• PAWG is one of the more frequent internet searches for me
  • Gillingham did not nearly get a penalty. He lost the ball abd it was a blatent dive, which was correctly yellow carded. To be fair, the player held up his hands as he hit the ground to acknowledge the dive - it was that poor an attempt!
  • Happy with result but Gillingham were poor especially in front of goal. What happened to Esri Konsa? Anonymous. It was as if he had already been tapped by his agent and is sold. Who knows. The rest of the team played well but we still are not good enough at the back. Byrne and DaSilva had great games and great strike by Holmes. Hope we are sold soon and we can get excited again or is this it for 2 or more seasons? Just feels a bit flat after a misereable season.
  • .Rudd - 6 Today was the only time I've doubted Rudd. Spilled a save and almost made another mistake when he didn't give a shout to Bauer
    Byrne - 6 Played well but you can see he's itching to play back in his normal position.
    Bauer - 6 started off by not winning the first ball per usual, but did well in the end.
    Pearce - 8 immense. What a player, so much better than Teixera at this level
    DaSilva - 7 very good little player
    Crofts - 6
    Konsa - 6
    Forster-Caskey - 6
    Botaka - 6
    Magennis - 7 hustled and bustled and so glad he got a goal
    Holmes - 7 great free kick, works hard but sometimes lacks that bit of quality and decision making.
    Ahearne-Grant 4 - he's lucky we were already 3-0 up as he was awful when he came on, wasted so many opportunities.
    Jackson n/a

Ridiculous comments...

3 of them in 1 marking session.

Rudd has had plenty of much worse games this season.

Pearce has been consistent, but Tex has had some proper beast performances.

Ahearne-Grant isn't 1st team match fit so I'm hardly surprised he isn't scoring every shot. 'So many' was only a few chances.

• A rare win to celebrate - a three goal margin - and our survival assured in League 1. Cause for celebration indeed.

It would be churlish to name their number 10 (McDonald) as our best defender, he squandered so many chances and took a dive in the first half that earned him a deserved booking. The Gillingham finishing was (fortunately) woeful and Robinson has attested to that.

Defensive vulnerability aside, there was a decent amount of effort put in by Charlton and the match was entertaining. Da Silva imo was the mom by a country mile. Holmes put in his usual gargantuan shift, but could be an even better player if he released the ball earlier - its almost that he doesn’t trust his teammates to do the right thing … and come to think of it …
  • edited April 2017
    Good result , Gills were awful but they had decent support all things considered .

Pearce properly got stuck in , wonder what our results have been like with him in the team , if he stays fancy him to be skipper next year .

10% 7th-12th ....... 90% 13th-20th ......100% Roland Out
  • Dazzler21 said:

.Rudd - 6 Today was the only time I've doubted Rudd. Spilled a save and almost made another mistake when he didn't give a shout to Bauer
    Byrne - 6 Played well but you can see he's itching to play back in his normal position.
    Bauer - 6 started off by not winning the first ball per usual, but did well in the end.
    Crofts - 6
    Konsa - 6
    Forster-Caskey - 6
    Botaka - 6
    Holmes - 7 great free kick, works hard but sometimes lacks that bit of quality and decision making.
    Ahearne-Grant 4 - he's lucky we were already 3-0 up as he was awful when he came on, wasted so many opportunities.
    Jackson n/a

Ridiculous comments...

Ahearne-Grant isn't 1st team match fit so I'm hardly surprised he isn't scoring every shot. 'So many' was only a few chances.

I dont even remember him having a single chance on goal (KAG I mean), twice he got the ball the first time he did well to win a corner and second he picked up the ball on the half way line (down the right) and showed great pace to run at their full back.
  • Dazzler21 said:

.Rudd - 6 Today was the only time I've doubted Rudd. Spilled a save and almost made another mistake when he didn't give a shout to Bauer
    Crofts - 6
    Konsa - 6
    Forster-Caskey - 6
    Botaka - 6
    Jackson n/a

Ridiculous comments...

I dont even remember him having a single chance on goal (KAG I mean), twice he got the ball the first time he did well to win a corner and second he picked up the ball on the half way line (down the right) and showed great pace to run at their full back.
    Agreed. I thought he looked lively and pacey with a decent touch. Not one to rule out for next season, for sure.
    Magennis's big problem is his lack of pace. There were two or three occasions during the last twenty chaotic minutes when the Gills left themselves exposed at the back. When we might have played a simple ball over the top for Magennis to run on to, the ball wasn't played, possibly because they know he won't have the pace required. At this level pace can make all the difference I think.
  • Was delighted to see three goals, but Gillingham had one of those days where they were never going to score. Despite our weak defence giving them at least five good opportunities. A better side could have beaten us despite our goals. Still a win is a win, don't get many of them these days!
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Dazzler21 said:

Crofts - 6
    Konsa - 6
    Forster-Caskey - 6
    Botaka - 6
    Jackson n/a

Ridiculous comments...

Agreed. I thought he looked lively and pacey with a decent touch. Not one to rule out for next season, for sure.
    Magennis's big problem is his lack of pace. There were two or three occasions during the last twenty chaotic minutes when the Gills left themselves exposed at the back. When we might have played a simple ball over the top for Magennis to run on to, the ball wasn't played, possibly because they know he won't have the pace required. At this level pace can make all the difference I think.
    Agree re Magennis on recent evidence but would add that, pre Millwall injury, I thought he looked quite quick at times. Either that or the central defenders he was up against in the early part of the season were exceptionally slow.

You are right that pace is a big factor at this (and even higher) level (s).
  • Magennis is very quick - maybe a little rusty after injury. Don't think pace is his issue..
  • JamesSeed said:

Dazzler21 said:

Crofts - 6
    Konsa - 6
    Forster-Caskey - 6
    Botaka - 6
    Jackson n/a

Ridiculous comments...

First half of the season he was quick enough and it was his pace combined with power that made him stand out. His injury v Millwall really knocked him and Charlton back.
  • edited April 2017

I almost went to Dulwich Hamlet instead of The Valley but made the right choice and saw my second win of the season. The comments I've read about recent games involving wayward passing, defensive errors and lack of composure in front of goal certainly didn't apply yesterday, though Gillingham were very wasteful with Rudd having hardly a shot of note to save.

I would like to be considered for the Supporter Of The Year award having attended two matches and seen two wins. Can anyone beat that?

Good record, hopefully you can go more next season and we might actually do something.

I've been to 13 games this season, yesterday as one of them. 7 wins, 4 draws and 2 loss.
  • edited April 2017
  • So, has Dasilva come good due to being coached for three months by that "boon to up-and-coming young players Karl Robinson" (© Dele Alli), or has he been good all along and his quality has been ignored until now by that useless lump Gobinson?
  • JamesSeed said:

Enjoyed that.

Gills had plenty of good possession in and around the box but were wasteful beyond belief.

We on the other hand took our chances and each goal knocked a bit more stuffing out of Gillingham.

After a rare goal from open play from Big Mag, looking more like the player he can be, it looked liked we'd score more but then the game seem to fade out a little.

Holmes was good.

Dasilva was excellent. His performance again begs the question of why he's played so little. A real threat going forward and covered well.

Crofts did the sitting role well but Konsa and JFC didn't exploit the space available often enough.

Overall a lot more aggression and purpose but still fragile at the back at times.

Thought the ref was a homer and allowed us to get away with a lot. I know people will disagree but many are quick to criticise when it appears to be the other way around.

Good to end the season on high and we can still avoid our worst finish since 1926 by catching Wimbledon and so equalling our worst post-war finish of 14th in tier three. Oh the thrill box it all.

Doing the traditional "lads" last away game weekend in Chesterfield. See you there at

This review started well, with some pertinant observation and probing insights, although ground was given a little easily mid article.

The second half kicked off with a couple of clean strikes aimed at the fragility of the defence and some inconsistant play from Botaka.

But the best was saved for the end, with an inspiring admission that the ref was a homer (no one saw that coming!) followed by a call to arms for the "lads" away game up at Chesterfield; although I was slightly disappointed by the use of quotation marks, the employment of which might imply that 'lads' was used sarcastically.

[Of course quotation marks should really only be used for reported speech; I'm hoping that mentioning that won't jeapordise my newly acquired and much appreciated 'lad' status.]

Looking forward to Chesterfield.
    I thinks lads was put in quotations marks because he's expecting @Fanny Fanackapan, @Weegie Addick, @Arsenetatters and @sadiejane1981 to rock up and give it large, putting the carousing of us actual lads to shame.