Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Gillingham post match views

Comments

• Options
    As Robbo implied, we could easily have been a goal or two down before we took the lead, which is worrying because if a poor side like the Gills can create easy chances what does that say about our defending?
    Bradley Dack had a tidy midfield game for them but today his shooting was abysmal.
    Konsa is a bit slow in midfield, he needs to sharpen up. Byrne had a very good game today but Dasilva was sublime. I don't rate Botaka very much but he is probably a confidence player. Holmes is so consistent and Magennis seemed to have got his mojo back. Nice to see KAG get a run out instead of our Scottish international.
    Good wins like this help you to forget the awful games we have had to put up with this season.
  • Options
    Gills are a poor side, and although we were better than lately - they did make us look better than we actually are.

Great work by Holmes as always, nice game from Dasilva.
    Pearce is a decent CB - think he will be skipper next year.
    Overall - glad the relegation fight is over.
  • Options
    I reckon Gillingham player McDonald must have had his boots on the wrong feet, never seen so many air shots easy misses in one game. Add that to his dive and booking, sounds a sure bet we will try and sign him in the summer.
  • Options
    Don't get the above.
  • Options
    sorry, "PWG" ?
  • Options
    Get in there...1 win in a row!
  • Options

I reckon Gillingham player McDonald must have had his boots on the wrong feet, never seen so many air shots easy misses in one game. Add that to his dive and booking, sounds a sure bet we will try and sign him in the summer.

Yes, what we need is a striker who can score lots of goals in leauge one. Where can we find one of those !
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Wasn't sure I'd made the right decision to go, but Gills really are a lot worse than we are (and we're terrible). I thought our first came against the run of play, but Gills' finishing was appalling. How many airkicks did they have?
    Holmes and Dasilva stood out for me. Met up with someone I used to sit next to last season who had only been once this and he was saying he didn't recognise anyone. True - until Jacko came on no one had played for us last season.
    Against a decent team we wouldn't have got away with today - I think by the end Gills' heads dropped because it clearly wasn't their day. 3 goals. Clean sheet. Good but not great performance. I'll take that.

Bauer?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Enjoyed that.

Gills had plenty of good possession in and around the box but were wasteful beyond belief.

We on the other hand took our chances and each goal knocked a bit more stuffing out of Gillingham.

After a rare goal from open play from Big Mag, looking more like the player he can be, it looked liked we'd score more but then the game seem to fade out a little.

Holmes was good.

Dasilva was excellent. His performance again begs the question of why he's played so little. A real threat going forward and covered well.

Crofts did the sitting role well but Konsa and JFC didn't exploit the space available often enough.

Overall a lot more aggression and purpose but still fragile at the back at times.

Thought the ref was a homer and allowed us to get away with a lot. I know people will disagree but many are quick to criticise when it appears to be the other way around.

Good to end the season on high and we can still avoid our worst finish since 1926 by catching Wimbledon and so equalling our worst post-war finish of 14th in tier three. Oh the thrill box it all.

Doing the traditional "lads" last away game weekend in Chesterfield. See you there at

This review started well, with some pertinant observation and probing insights, although ground was given a little easily mid article.

The second half kicked off with a couple of clean strikes aimed at the fragility of the defence and some inconsistant play from Botaka.

But the best was saved for the end, with an inspiring admission that the ref was a homer (no one saw that coming!) followed by a call to arms for the "lads" away game up at Chesterfield; although I was slightly disappointed by the use of quotation marks, the employment of which might imply that 'lads' was used sarcastically.

[Of course quotation marks should really only be used for reported speech; I'm hoping that mentioning that won't jeapordise my newly acquired and much appreciated 'lad' status.]

Looking forward to Chesterfield.
  • Options

sorry, "PWG" ?

posting without going :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

sorry, "PWG" ?

= Posting without going...

• Options

sorry, "PWG" ?

Posting Without Gagging. Or Going.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    sammy391 said:

PWG
    Looks like the lowest league finish since 1926 is still on , but we are now mathematically safe! Phew!

Hopefully a takeover to getting excited about, but looking forward to getting to the valley for (fingers crossed) the last Protest!

The season that has been written off for a few months now is finally close to an end!

Not if Port Vale score 27 goals to nil to win their next 3 matches we aren't.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    clb74 said:

I feel gutted for the lady who was taking her boy of about 12 to the game.
    First game they have ever been to.
    Walked them down to the ground to show them where to get their tickets even bought the lad a programme.
    Probably got the boy hooked a 3-0 win.
    First win I've seen since October

Shame on you....
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I've not been worried about relegation for some time. Port Vale had games in hand, that's true, but there have been four or five other teams below us in the league who would all have had to have won an unfeasible amount of games for us to have been in any real danger.
    And those teams are rubbish, while we are occasionally not rubbish.

Charlton's lowest ever end of season league position was 65th in 1925/26.
    We finished second-to-last (21st) in League 3 (Southern Division) and had to apply for re-election.
    Today's Division One position of 15th gives Charlton an overall league position of 59th.
    Pretty dire, but not the most dire ever.

Today we looked lively, but Gillingham should have scored at least a couple, and the mood would have been very different here had we had to struggle to hang on to a 3-2.

First time I've seen Dasilva have a full game I think, and I was pretty impressed. Has everything except stature.
    Pearce is the leader we've been lacking.
    Holmes didn't have one of his better games, but still looked dangerous at times.
    Forster-Caskey looked better than I've seen him before.
    Byrne also looked very comfortable on the ball. The fact that both he and Dasilva could run with the ball seemed to negate Gillingham's attempts to play the pressing game that all sides seem to use as a tactic against us.
    Konsa isn't as quick as I thought he was. Still developing though.
    A few good morale boosting tackles were put in by Crofts, Pearce and Bauer today.
    Botaka was lively and his passing was better than it has been. He set Magennis up beautifully, when he might have panicked and swung a leg at the ball.
  • Options
    At last we beat a poor side comfortably, how many stay? How many go? I have no idea, including owners , still summer hols edging nearer.
  • Options
    Have been critical of late of the team , but that was a performance to be proud of . Da Silva looked quality .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some people on here are saying that our defense was weak,yet in the same breath praising Da Silva,Bryne,Bauer and Pearce!!?..I thought the defense was good after the first 10-15 mins,Da Silva was excellent,why hasn't he played more?.Bryne is busy.Bauer solid,and Pearce scored a goal.JFC was alright,Botaka played ok,more sensible then before,and if he got in a one on one situation then he normally beat his man.Holmas running makes me laugh, the commitment is eye popping,POTY for sure.But the big caveat is the Gills played shit.
  • Options
    Meant to say "A sobering thought that it took Pompey four years to get out of League 2 with their level of support."
  • Options
    Lot of people asking why Da Silva hasn't played more. Think his baptism of fire on his first game as a sub against Millwall when was subbed himself probably had something to do with it...lots on here were slagging him off without him really having a proper chance.
  • Options
    Playing him out of position against Millwall didn't help either. I don't care what he was signed as, he's a full-back. A smaller, better, opposite-sided version of Solly
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Thanks to @Redmidland for the cameo thread - invaluable as always. Congrats to Sheffield Utd - the manager we could/should have had? Glad we chalked up a win and, hopefully, better news will follow in the week. Shit season as it's been, I'm gonna miss my weekly dose of footy - even if it is from afar - time to get in a huge thanks to those that bring us ex-pats the match feed and previews - a big thanks guys!

I must admit, I'm not going to miss my weekly dose of football and cannot wait for the summer. This has been yet another pathetic season and I cant wait for a break. That's not a pop at you mark, I know the thread provides a valuable connection to our expat fans. It's just when you've been to most of them this season, it's ground me down to some extent
    Wimp..'
    cabbles said:

Thanks to @Redmidland for the cameo thread - invaluable as always. Congrats to Sheffield Utd - the manager we could/should have had? Glad we chalked up a win and, hopefully, better news will follow in the week. Shit season as it's been, I'm gonna miss my weekly dose of footy - even if it is from afar - time to get in a huge thanks to those that bring us ex-pats the match feed and previews - a big thanks guys!

I must admit, I'm not going to miss my weekly dose of football and cannot wait for the summer. This has been yet another pathetic season and I cant wait for a break. That's not a pop at you mark, I know the thread provides a valuable connection to our expat fans. It's just when you've been to most of them this season, it's ground me down to some extent
    Wimp :smiley:

• Options

cabbles said:

Wimp..'
    cabbles said:

2 cracks at the emoji there I see cyril.....

I'll see you on the coach for the final installment away at Chesterfield
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Wimp..'
    cabbles said:

2 cracks at the emoji there I see cyril.....

I'll see you on the coach for the final installment away at Chesterfield
    :wink: