Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Gillingham post match views

Comments

• Options
    A comfortable win (albeit partly down to Gillingham's inability to finish) and an entertaining match. Magennis still looks unfit but kept plugging away and scored a good one, Holmes must be POTY and I imagine Dasilva will be playing for a Championship club next season. Everyone else played OK I thought although the defense was very vulnerable. Utter disaster averted then but the club is still a car crash.
  • Options
    Not impressed with Gillingham. Surprisingly our midfield looked better than theirs. If they took their chances it could have been different.
    In saying that we deserved to win and DaSilva was quality today. Great set pieces and brilliant free kick from Holmes.
  • Options
    PWGAFF. At least relegation is avoided. I thought I would have taken it to get rid of Doshitalot but commeth the hour I'm actually relived.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Congratulations Roland and Karien for a successful season. You should be so pleased with yourselves. Well done. I hope to see you at the Swindon match to personably say thank you and perhaps a farewell - I will be making a banner with some kind words in case we miss each other (easy to do at the valley). I will no doubt shed a few tears on such a emotional day but wishing your continued success in all your future business adventures in of course in your unique way. Lots of love. Mr Solid Gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Finally seen a win! Took our chances well, Holmes ran his socks off and dasilva was brilliant. Pearce makes a huge difference at the back and well taken goal.

Gillingham were awful, especially in front of goal. MacDonald missed so many chances and better teams would have put a few away but we kept a clean sheet and we won!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Very good all round performance, with special mention to Byrne, DaSilva & Holmes. But bloody hell Gillingham were awful.
  • Options
    3-0 flattered us - Gillingham showed no composure in front of goal.
    Da Silva and Holmes our best players - hopefully both here next season?

Botaka was as frustrating as ever - seems to lack a footballing brain.

Entertaining game to watch.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Echo most posts on here. Holmes & Da Silva our best 2 players on the pitch (again) & begs the question why Da Silva has spent 3 months sitting on the bench ?? Chatting with Golfie Jnr before the game we were discussing who our likely goalscorers would be - Holmes (obviously) and a defender - he went for Bauer but I said Pearce as he hadn't scored since he came back into the team. 1-0 !!

Overall a much better performance than Friday & we showed we could actually pass to a team mate, control the ball, and attach at pace. We deserved the goal from Holmes' free kick just for da Silva's mazy run - shame we cant keep him for next season - I'm sure Chelsea wont miss him.

Not much said on here about their penalty shout. From where I sat in the East is looked a nailed on pen & cant see why McDonald would've have dived when he only had Rudd to beat. That changed everything coz at 1-1 it was anyone's game - but as Henry said, the ref was a bit of a homer (better late than never) and we got the rub of the green - that and the Gills inability to score from 6 yards out from about 10 attempts has now seen us keep our league 1 status. Whoopee.........
  • Options
    Enjoyed that - but a win always helps. We played quite well, with some nice passing at times, especially Da Silva and Holmes. Also thought Bauer had one of his better games as did Magennis. Konsa puts in a shift but sometimes looks like his legs are doing there own thing. Thought Gillingham had some nice ideas but, as several have said, fell apart in front of goal - they should have scored at least one. Kept my eyes on Bradley Dack as he's been mentioned on here. Thought he played quite well but lost it a bit towards the end.
  • Options

Echo most posts on here. Holmes & Da Silva our best 2 players on the pitch (again) & begs the question why Da Silva has spent 3 months sitting on the bench ?? Chatting with Golfie Jnr before the game we were discussing who our likely goalscorers would be - Holmes (obviously) and a defender - he went for Bauer but I said Pearce as he hadn't scored since he came back into the team. 1-0 !!

Not much said on here about their penalty shout. From where I sat in the East is looked a nailed on pen & cant see why McDonald would've have dived when he only had Rudd to beat. That changed everything coz at 1-1 it was anyone's game - but as Henry said, the ref was a bit of a homer (better late than never) and we got the rub of the green - that and the Gills inability to score from 6 yards out from about 10 attempts has now seen us keep our league 1 status. Whoopee.........

In regards to the pen I was certain that Bauer had got back and made a tackle, JUST getting the ball. (i.e. Was the yellow for diving or not knowing when to shut up)

Im right at the front of the East Stand in terms of viewpoint
  • Options

I can't imagine DaSilva is very high up on the 70+ list of Chelsea loanees. Cheeky bid?

He's probably on 15/20k a week
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I can't imagine DaSilva is very high up on the 70+ list of Chelsea loanees. Cheeky bid?

He's probably on 15/20k a week
    Im sure Katie could offer that with a 4-year deal.

She usually does for a laugh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Nice to see the keeper and defenders unite at the end to celebrate with a group hug for the clean sheet. Holmes probably just gets in front of Da Silva for man of the match yet was at fault early on losing the ball for Gillingham to create their first chance with McDonald hitting the side netting. Made up for it by putting in a decent corner for Pearce to nod in and then scored with another pin point free kick after an excellent mazy run by Da Silva that was crudely halted by their defender. Piled on the pressure in the second half and Magennis put away an easy chance after Holmes had gone from one side of the pitch to the other before passing to Botaka to lay on for Mag. One minor scare when a powerful free kick was not held by Rudd and then cleared off the line from the rebound. Felt like we could have had more chances with killer final balls but I suppose I can't moan at seeing 3 goals and a clean sheet at home.
  • Options
    Could have been 3-3. Gillingham were wasteful beyond belief.

Everytime they got themselves into a good position they overhit a cross or smashed it miles over. Bizzare.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PWR.

There is a bit in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where Arthur Dent is being dragged off by a Vogon guard who keeps repeating 'resistance is useless, resistance is useless' and that was more or less the attitude of Gillingham today, we were not especially irresistible, but Gillingham simply didn't seem to want to make a contest of it, which was a shocking let down for their support who travelled in numbers.
    It was very nice to win 3-0, and deserved too, but I actually think we have played better and lost, like at home to Wimbledon for example. You can only beat what is in front of you, and in front of Charlton today was a combination of jelly and marshmallow so poor and soft were the opposition, with the exception of their number 6 who I thought looked pretty good.

As for our players. Holmes was my MoM followed by da Silva and Pearce, Josh magennin was more interested than usual, Konsa more mistake prone in his unsuitable midfield position. Bauer was decent, and so indeed was Byrne back at right back, and Rudd did what he was called on to do.
    JFC looks like a one brilliant game in ten man, we are yet to see it though, Botaka was OKish, and Josh was much more up for it than he has been since that hat trick he scored.
    Utterly comprehensive win.

I think you are right, but a lot of the losses we played well but one or two stupid mistakes were punished, whereas today, Gillingham were masters of the air shot and failed to take advantage of any mistake and we did make some howlers.

To me Konsa continues to look like a defender in a midfield position. I am assuming, Aribo is eother unfit or out of form.
  • Options
    Satisfying to win what appeared a comfortable scoreline. How we kept a clean sheet I don't know. They must have missed 3 or 4 sitters. Also we were overran in midfield at times. I suspect the mileage put in by Dack was probably more than JFC and Konsa combined. However we took our chances and they didn't which was the main difference between the teams and that in itself wins matches.
  • Options
    Against better opposition that could have gone the other way. I like the attacking style we have but we do allow ourselves to be easily carved open. On a positive, Pearce was immense and is 100 times better than Tex at this level. The team worked hard and looked motivated today. May be harsh, but I do feel with Watt and Tex out of the starting 11 we look better. I feel that Watt and Tex are bad eggs and are the players Robbo has been talking about who aren't commited
  • Options
    At last we found someone who is more shit than we are ! KR is a genius we have gelled, roll on next season.
  • Options
    Wasn't sure I'd made the right decision to go, but Gills really are a lot worse than we are (and we're terrible). I thought our first came against the run of play, but Gills' finishing was appalling. How many airkicks did they have?
    Holmes and Dasilva stood out for me. Met up with someone I used to sit next to last season who had only been once this and he was saying he didn't recognise anyone. True - until Jacko came on no one had played for us last season.
    Against a decent team we wouldn't have got away with today - I think by the end Gills' heads dropped because it clearly wasn't their day. 3 goals. Clean sheet. Good but not great performance. I'll take that.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

PWG Pleased we won. 100% lower half mediocrity. Well done to Roland, Katrien and Karl for overseeing our lowest league finish ever. Can't wait for next season

Not quite.
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

Good win. Hope Henry Everitt and so called CARD are pleased with themselves getting the best owner we've had, selling up just when the master plan was coming together.

If one of those dots down there stopped moving for ever, would you really care old man?