Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ferencvárosi TC Football club

2»

Comments

• Options

The other semi-final is also on 26th April. Vasas are playing Mezőkövesd at 4pm at the Újpest's Szusza Ferenc stadium, because Vasas's ground is being reconstructed. So you can go to Újpest just up metro line 3 from your accommodation without worrying about any Duchatelets getting your money. Getting tickets there will be just as complicated as at FTC

Will he be able to join Vasas if he goes to Ujpest before the match? I tried to go to Ujpest and I wasn't allowed anywhere near the ground (I walked 75% around it) without membership and I was there over an hour before kick-off. In the end I got the train back to the city centre and watched the second half in my hotel. Walking around Ujpest surrounded by police with gasmasks wasn't my idea of a good time.

I went to Ferencvaros the following weekend and I felt that Ferencvaros had a better set up for tourists. Vasas or Honved might be even better, of course.
  • Options
    Yes, work has been completed Újpest’s ground. As for the ownership of the ground, it is one of the National Sports Centres (Nemzeti Sportközpontok) an organization that is state-owned and run by a government ministerial commissioner. The NSK also owns the national football stadium, the Ferenc Puskás Stadium (once known as the Népstadion), which has recently been raised to the ground prior to reconstruction. The Szusza Ferenc Stadium is the only other football stadium on its books. The other NSK venues include swimming pools like the one being used for the World Swimming Championship later this year, yachting marinas, and training facilities mainly for Olympic sports. I suspect that the handing over the stadium to the state came as a part of the rescue package that saved the club three years ago.

As for the ownership of Mezőkövesd's ground I was being facitious. The ground is owned by the local council, while the local MP, a senior Fidesz figure by the name of Mr István Tallai, runs the place. The stadium is nicknamed the Estadio delle Tallai.

As for tickets the whole situation is a nightmare. I'm not affliated to any one club and always buy my ticket on matchday using my local ID. On paper it should be just as easy with a passport.

I have also encountered heavy-handed policing, with roads being blocked off for no apparent reason.

There should be a way of getting a ticket from the Újpest ticket office. As for finding where Vasas operate from, that would be an adventure in itself and a sure way of getting to know the country, or Angyalföld at least.

Good luck.

• Options
    Funny you should ask as I/we visited it for some small European competition back in 2004.

Lively.
  • Options
    The great thing about First Division football in Hungary is that you can have a chat with the players at the end of the game. I decided to talk to a very friendly and outrageously talented young man pitchside by the name of Ulysse Diallo. This happened minutes after Ulysse's Mezőkövesd had been soundly beaten by a fine Újpest side, 3-1.
    Before Christmas, before prime minister Viktor Orbán had kidnapped manager Attila Pintér and taken him to Felcsút, Ulysse Diallo and Patrick Mevoungou had formed the backbone of a team that played the kind of football that made them look capable of launching a title challenge. With Ulysse and Patrick on board Mezőkövesd went about beating Honvéd, Haladás and Videoton in some style.
    With Pintér out and Tomislav Sivic in, Mevoungou left for DVTK, while Diallo rarely gets a start. He was a second half sub yesterday, when for twenty-five minutes, with Ulysse leading the forward line, Mezőkövesd made a good try at pulling back the two-goal deficit, which was the result of a completely inept first-half performance.
    Meanwhile in Miskolc Patrick Mevoungou is leading Diósgyőr to an unlikely great escape from relegation from the NB I, with his excellent ball distribution from his defensive-midfield post.
    After congratulating Ulysse on his second half performance with a handshake I asked him why he hadn't started against Újpest. He told me that the manager hadn't picked him. After picking up my jaw, I reminded the Malian how he and Patrick had formed that formidable partnership before the winter break. He shrugged his broad shoulders.
    I then informed Ulysse that Patrick's DVTK had been leading away at Paks at half-time. The eyeballs popped out his skull and now it was time for Ulysse's jaw to drop.
    "Oh my goodness gracious!"
    The same thought had already crossed my mind. Mezőkövesd were now in serious danger of getting relegated themselves.
    Having DVTK sympathies I suggested to Ulysse that he should resume his twelve-match collaboration with Patrick Mevoungou by moving to Diósgyőr.
    You heard it here first, folks.
  • Options
    And here's me thinking I might not be able to get a ticket, huh!

Still, very close game, went down to the wire.
  • Options

And here's me thinking I might not be able to get a ticket, huh!

Still, very close game, went down to the wire.

Nice er seats!
  • Options
    One fan, you've only got one fan.
  • Options
    This guys clearly warming up for the World Cup in Russia.