Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World snooker Championship thread

I couldn't see a thread for this so thought I'd start 1. I'm hoping I'm not the only Charlton Life member that loves the snooker!!

Shaun Murphy plays Yan Bingtao this morning & I think it could be a cracker. Bingtao has been tipped to be a star since becoming the youngest ever winner of the world amateur Championship at the age of 15!

Today he makes his world championship debut at the age of 17. He is the 1st round draw nobody wanted & if nerves don't get the better of him, he could give Murphy a real run for his money

Comments

• be hard to bet against Selby the way he played yesterday. felt sorry for Fergal after having to play through the longest ever frame in snooker history to then have to face Selby in the first round proper.

Ronnie is making hard go of it against Gary Wilson.
  • I used to be glued to the world champs when I was younger but now I couldn't actually tell you more than about three players' names. Bazza hasn't quite managed to work the miracle that he has with darts. Apples and pears in terms of crowd participation i guess but it's hard to see where snooker goes in the modern era. No kids playing and tv largely not interested.
  • Selby looked ominous yesterday, great performance.

If Ronnie has his head switched on he is always in with a shout, although he is making hard work of his first round tie. I always feel that the better his opponent, the better he performs though.

Looking forward to a great two and a half weeks!
  • edited April 2017

I used to be glued to the world champs when I was younger but now I couldn't actually tell you more than about three players' names. Bazza hasn't quite managed to work the miracle that he has with darts. Apples and pears in terms of crowd participation i guess but it's hard to see where snooker goes in the modern era. No kids playing and tv largely not interested.

possibly in this country there is a lack of interest in the sport nowadays but in china they bloody love it. over 200million watched last years tournament. though it was helped mainly by Ding reaching the final.
  • I've bigged Yan Bingtao up here, but he's not playing well at all
  • I used to be glued to the world champs when I was younger but now I couldn't actually tell you more than about three players' names. Bazza hasn't quite managed to work the miracle that he has with darts. Apples and pears in terms of crowd participation i guess but it's hard to see where snooker goes in the modern era. No kids playing and tv largely not interested.

it's certainly not what it was in terms of coverage

looking through the draw there are probably only 3/4 household names- ronnie, peter ebdon, john higgins and maybe marco fu

sadly most people won't have even heard of selby despite him being world number one and probably one of the best players ever

back in the day players like judd trump, luca brecel, ding and liang would've been really well known
  • edited April 2017
    I love watching Ronnie play, the guy is so talented. Without hIs demons he'd have won the world title nearly every year, I reckon. Shame he sometimes comes over as a bit of a wally.
  • edited April 2017

I love watching Ronnie play, the guy is so talented. Without he's demons he'd have won the world title nearly every year, I reckon. Shame he sometimes comes over as a bit of a wally.

This!

The greatest & most naturally talented player of all time, but at times he cones across as an absolute twat!
  • edited April 2017
    I think the problem is that now they are too blooming good and dont miss enough, so its a bit dull cos once they get in thats it, its at bit like when we let in a goal.

Bring back the good old days, I used to love watching Steve Davis, he was they best but you still just knew, inevitably, at some stage he would cock up an easy red to the centre pocket and it would be game on, you just didnt know when.

nah you did right to bigg him. kwolity playa.

you could see him coming into it during the 2nd half of the match.

SM is no easy opponent first round.

SM v Rocket in the 2nd round and added spice as SM has come out criticizing ROS for his recent comments on World Snooker. Match should be at the level of a semi-final.
  • Sponsored links:

• I nearly started one the other day with previews of first round, just found this thread :)

Love having the Worlds back, even flicking between snooker and footy gets tricky.

All gone to plan (according to my bets) so far, no real shocks. Maguire was unseeded but fave with bookies to beat Mcgill.

Heart says Ronnie will win, head says Trump (cant right off Selby). i think its wide open this year, the standard has gone up so much in the last couple of years literally anyone can beat anyone.

Yan Bingtao was close against Murphy, Brecel against Fu they would have been shocks but still not massively. Yan will defo be a world champion sooner rather than later.

I just wish i had booked the couple of weeks work to either go up there with my mates today/tomorrow or just sit there and watch it all.
  • I love watching O'Sullivan play, he is without doubt the greatest snooker player that's ever lived, but he is a twat of a human being. Throwing his toys out of the pram because he's been warned about future conduct by the WPBSA. Murphy was right to criticise him. You can't just say/do whatever you want & have no repercussions
  • I love watching O'Sullivan play, he is without doubt the greatest snooker player that's ever lived, but he is a twat of a human being. Throwing his toys out of the pram because he's been warned about future conduct by the WPBSA. Murphy was right to criticise him. You can't just say/do whatever you want & have no repercussions

Until he overtakes Hendry and Davis he ain't the greatest player that ever lived.
    Mental strength is part of the equation I'm afraid.
  • I used to like watching the snooker when I was a teenager - I even had a 6ft table at home & learnt how to swerve, stun & screw back the cue ball. Now I only watch it late nites as its the only decent thing on past midnight.

Good match on sunday night (cant remember who was playing) but some guy needed 4 snookers & got them - helped by his opponent calling a foul on himself when close scrutiny showed that he didn't touch the black whilst cueing.
  • Does anybody play at all?
  • I used to when I was younger. Losing finalist in the Kent CIU championship (circa 1990) was the pinnacle of my achievements!

I still have my John Parris queue gathering dust somewhere.
  • Seems tough this year - not many easy matches and I think there's about 10 players that could win.

Some good players like Joe Perry and Mark Williams didn't even make it to the tournament.

O Sullivan hasn't been playing brilliantly and I think Murphy could beat him in the next round. I think Murphy shouldn't have wound Ronnie up though because that might be the catalyst to motivate him.
  • Does anybody play at all?

If you call it playing :) actually had a few frames last night as i have a table and mate come round, not as good as i used to be. Still knock in the odd 30 but dont really play very much, also play in a league but only play 1 singles and a trebles so cant really call that playing. Play pool on a Wednesday too, do you play?

Actually won a local snooker comp in Jan when i was hanging 19 players, it was a handicap so evens out and whoever plays the closest to their handicap wins. Eg. i was -7, the best players are -42, worst +35, if i play someone who is -21 i get a 14 start, if i played someone +21 they get a 28 start.

• GRAY9 said:

Seems tough this year - not many easy matches and I think there's about 10 players that could win.

Some good players like Joe Perry and Mark Williams didn't even make it to the tournament.

O Sullivan hasn't been playing brilliantly and I think Murphy could beat him in the next round. I think Murphy shouldn't have wound Ronnie up though because that might be the catalyst to motivate him.

I agree, he probably stood half a chance. But now feel like he has none, when Ronnie has a point to prove...

Was quite disappointed Williams didnt make it after getting to the final of China open, the joke of it is if the snooker shootout wasn't changed to ranking he would have made it. whole different argument there! but different rules and 1 frame format should never be a ranking event.

Even Mark Davis didnt make it and he has made 2 147's this season and generally would be a match for most and caused problems.

I still think Trump is rightly fave, mainly down to the draw being easier. I would have said Selby but i have a feeling Ronnie is due to beat him and maybe.

2nd round starts tomorrow! I have 8fold i put on , need Carter to turn it round later :neutral:
  • That shootout is a joke tournament. Anyone can win that. It's fun to watch as a one-off but should never be ranking. Just look at the winners of past years.

Mcgill got the same amount of £/points for winning the shootout as Williams got for coming runner up in China.

I did Murphy and Hawkins to win the tournament before it started at biggish odds.

Good luck with the 8 fold.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shootout is something different, light hearted not real snooker though. I actually watched quite a bit, felt for Dave Gilbert too as he got done by controversy. Would be good to go along to, a bit of a darts atmosphere feel to it, but never in a zillion years should it be a ranking event, even the winner said it :)

Good luck, not bad shouts Murphy was playing very well early stages but he has been so inconsistent this season would need to change that.

I need it haha, although Fu was in it too and that turned around. Not much value in snooker betting but be nice to get this, did win 2/3 in the qualifier bets :)
  • Just switched the tele onto Trump v McLeod... all I have to say is

since when did Burger King do deliveries???????
  • And McLeod's got a patch sewn onto his waistcoat that says ISIS on it?
  • Trump is not playing well at all.
  • Uncle Albert is at the home of snooker. I thought he was dead!
  • Feel a bit sorry for Trump. Would have a great chance of winning this year, but is clearly playing with a bad back. Any other tournament I think he would've pulled out
  • Trump out
  • shirty5 said:

Trump out

Clinton would've done better.
  • loved watching that last frame from mcleod, don't think he had control of the white at any point but just kept potting ball after ball

nah you did right to bigg him. kwolity playa.

you could see him coming into it during the 2nd half of the match.

SM is no easy opponent first round.

SM v Rocket in the 2nd round and added spice as SM has come out criticizing ROS for his recent comments on World Snooker. Match should be at the level of a semi-final.
    "kwolity playa".......oh dear oh dear!