Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SCP or Curbs

Simple question - if we got new owners and they could only deliver one option would you prefer

SCP as manager
Or
Curbs as Director of Football

Comments

• Powell as director of football. Without a shadow of a doubt the best thing about Powell is his ability to pick a player who the club can get the most out of. Granted, part of that is his incredible man management ability - he rescued Yann and Morrison from stalling careers in a way other managers wouldn't even have been willing to try - but he always knows exactly what the team needs in terms of player type and character. Tactically though he's a bit too negative and makes his subs far, far too late. Perhaps that's changed, if anyone is capable of taking criticism and growing it's him, but I'd love to see him picking out our players for a tactically exciting manager
  • if you cant have both then I'll take Chris as manger.
  • SCP - he would be much hungrier
  • Neither thanks. The past is a different country. The whole entity will need to look forward fans, club, players et al. Curbs' time is certainly passed. Appointing SCP couldn't avoid a smell of nostalgia and even with that whole management team reassembled (not possible) they couldn't replicate their situation from 6 years ago. The weight of expectation plus nostalgia would be fatal. The regeneration needs to be fundamental. Tom Baker was THE Dr Who but he'd never succeed succeeding any of the succeeding actors. Helpfully I have as much idea who should be 13 as who should be the next owner's first team manager.
  • SCP no doubt. Love him.
  • Neither thanks. The past is a different country. The whole entity will need to look forward fans, club, players et al. Curbs' time is certainly passed. Appointing SCP couldn't avoid a smell of nostalgia and even with that whole management team reassembled (not possible) they couldn't replicate their situation from 6 years ago. The weight of expectation plus nostalgia would be fatal. The regeneration needs to be fundamental. Tom Baker was THE Dr Who but he'd never succeed succeeding any of the succeeding actors. Helpfully I have as much idea who should be 13 as who should be the next owner's first team manager.

Confusing analogy..

• Neither, unfortunately. Would happily have one or them to advise but would want a complete fresh start.

Kenny Jackett, is the man that I want in charge.
  • dream team .. sign 'em both up ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• dream team .. sign 'em both up ((:>)

And add Jacko as assitant manager.

• If I had to choose one as manager, it would be Curbs. When I think about all the terrible soft goals we have conceded this season, I think back on all the 1 nils and tight results we achieved under Curbs against opposition far better than us. That was due to great discipline, organisation and hard graft on the training ground.
    If I had to pick a director of football, it would also be Curbs. However if Curbs wasn't interested in being manager, then I'd be very happy to have him as DOF with Powell as manager.
  • I would love to see Chris Powell back as I always got the feeling he genuinely loved the club. He'd be an excellent focal point to rebuild around.

It might just be his deliberate playing down of anything exciting or just an unfortunate tone of voice, but I always felt that Charlton was a chore for Curbs.

After the lost years of the Duchatelet generation, we need someone who can generate some genuine enthusiasm for the club. Now, you could argue that enthusiasm would come from winning games and that Curbs has a better pedigree as a manager, but unfortunately that's all a long time ago now. Nothing, I've seen from Curbs in the past 12 years has suggested that he's keen enough to get back into management or to be involved with Charlton again.
  • For me, a daft question no offence. Nicest bloke by far but for me Powell is technically weak, tactics and how to use your subs. Curbs excellent Manager/Director strong bloke capable of falling out with players etc, and capable of knowing how to pick players and avoiding relegation. I confess that when he left I believed that the right person would having us playing more enjoying (to watch) football. How wrong could I be ?
  • SCP for me.

While it can be argued he's tactically weak you have to remember he was limited in The Championship with who he could bring in. Now give the man some funds and I'm convinced the team that finished 9th could have kicked on with proper backing.

The expectation and pressure of replicating his previous success almost makes it a no-win scenario for Powell though as anything less than replicating the title winning season would no doubt have certain fans calling him out if for example we were only 8th or so in the table at Easter.

That said I'd still have Powell in charge as I believe that success was achieved through an amount of hard work, care and attention only someone like Powell would put in for the club.
  • LenGlover said:

Tough one.

I think if forced to give an answer I'd choose SCP as Curbs has been largely out of it so long.

I'd take either though.

Couldn't have put it better.
  • Neither, unfortunately. Would happily have one or them to advise but would want a complete fresh start.

Kenny Jackett, is the man that I want in charge.

Kenny Jackett is a decent manager, that turns out organised & well balanced teams, the Millwall connections notwithstanding.
  • SCP. Unfinished business.
  • Sponsored links:

• Neither . The past is indeed a different country .

I still really admire what SCP did six years ago . He is a Charlton legend . We need to replicate the approach . Robinson has had a similar start to Powell in his 'part' season . Both obviously upset some existing players . I believe Parkinson would have finished higher than Powell in 2010/11 and Slade would have made us safe before now . Both managed under resourced squads but they were their own squads . Powell wasn't successful in the short term but when allowed to build his own team exceeded expectations . I would like Robinson to have the same chance .

I want to see what Robinson can do if he has his own squad. Would it be similar to what Powell did ? He says he has deals lined up ready to go . We need to be signing players in May not waiting until August . A change in manager would only delay this .

If Robbo is indeed going to Wigan then I am another vote for Jackett but he would need to be through the door immediately . Also would he want to come here after his identification with Millwall ?
  • SCP I think he still has a lot to offer Charlton after being so rudely interrupted by Roland.
    Curbs was great but maybe his time has gone as far as Charlton is concerned
  • Would take either but Powell edges it for me.
  • Grumpy said:

For me, a daft question no offence. Nicest bloke by far but for me Powell is technically weak, tactics and how to use your subs. Curbs excellent Manager/Director strong bloke capable of falling out with players etc, and capable of knowing how to pick players and avoiding relegation. I confess that when he left I believed that the right person would having us playing more enjoying (to watch) football. How wrong could I be ?

I don't necessarily think that you was wrong Grumpy.
    I think when curbs left it was probably the right time for him to go.
    The problem was that we replaced him with the buffoon Dowie.
    When that didn't work we replaced him with someone who had never managed before.
    And we have somehow managed to cock up most of our managerial appointments ever since.
    Including the clown we have at the moment.
  • Swisdom said:

Simple question - if we got new owners and they could only deliver one option would you prefer

SCP as manager
    Or

Neither. It's going to be a new era. Get the new Curbs or SCP.
  • Neither.
  • Swisdom said:

SCP as manager
    Or

What about if you had to choose either

CP as manager with Pardew as DoF

Or

Curbs as DoF with Pardew as manager?