Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Television.

2»

Comments

• JiMMy 85 said:

out of interest as @sillav nitram says Film 4's main films seem to be the same old shit, (similar to sky cinema but film 4 usually have a decent late night film every other week) has anyone got Curzon home cinema? if they have the same stock that they put out in their theatres then at least it's different and on the most part pretty good.

Ok here's how it works - Sky Cinema have a billion-dollar deal with the major studios for the first pay window (10 months after cinema roughly). Netflix operate in the same window but only have exclusives with smaller studios.

So, 70% of movies go Cinema - PPV (that's Sky Store or Blu Ray etc) - Sky - Netflix - Film4 - BBC/ITV, then back to Sky and Netflix. This cycle usually takes a few years.

So you can't really compare Film4 which is a subscription-free channel, to Sky or Netflix. F4 used to be a subscription channel but they figured, they could package up older films and use advertising for revenue instead.

Ultimately, those channels have a finite list of movies. Sky has about 1200. Netflix has about 5,000 I think, Film4 has about 100. If you are not watching on demand, it feels like the same old shit being repeated. That's the user's fault for not understanding what they're paying for.

Best way to use Film4 is to go through a week's worth of movies on the TV planner and record the ones you like. Build your own movie channel. If you do this across all channels, you really don't need to spend 20 quid a month on a subscription, especially if you go to the cinema or use PPV.
    Freesat is your friend. One-off set up fee and you get loads of shite TV, including Film 4, for no ongoing cost.
  • Mostly Sports for me these days, I don't watch a lot of terrestial stuff and wouldn't miss it that much if it wasn't there.