Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Solidgone said:

Is Varney involved in the British consortium interest?

There is no such thing as a British consortium.
    There is and I would wager a lot of money he isn't.
  • Solidgone said:

#TheRedRobin Please enlighten me of what to call the British interest.
  • If this reaches 1000 pages I can pretty much guarantee the last 30 odd posts on page 999 will be posters just writing ‘1,000’ on the hope they are the one to write the first post on that page.

And as we reach the bottom of page 999, AFKA closes the thread.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Solidgone said:

There is and I would wager a lot of money he isn't.
    So you're saying Peter Varney is involved in a British consortium that is rivalling the Aussies? Why has 'The Ownership' only released a joint statement with the Aussies in that case?
  • Solidgone said:

Solidgone said:

#TheRedRobin Please enlighten me of what to call the British interest.
    A figment of someone's imagination?
    I think the "British consortium" actually consists of RM and some people that don't have enough money. I think they are RDs preferred buyer, God knows why, but don't have the dough. Would make a lot of sense and tie so loose ends up.
  • The notion of a"British Consortium" is just there as a tool for RD to pressure the Aussies into paying more/hurrying up etc. I would be shocked if they actually exist.

That is not a game you play with a multi millionaire businessman
  • The notion of a"British Consortium" is just there as a tool for RD to pressure the Aussies into paying more/hurrying up etc. I would be shocked if they actually exist.

That is not a game you play with a multi millionaire businessman
    Unless you are a deluded madman from Belgium
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Ferryman said:

SE23 said:

Maybe have some integerety this time and not post it on every single social media medium

Why is that so important to you?
    Only posted on Twitter.
    Was asked on here to go all out to get press coverage, but decided not to go down that route.
    I wanted to make a gesture is all.
    Sorry James, I was questioning why that person complained about you sharing to a wider audience via multiple platforms, not digging you out. Really appreciate what you've done mate.
  • AshBurton said:

Clearly yesterday's non-statement got a bit lost in translation, as a Belgian work colleague just sent me this: https://derijkstebelgen.be/nieuws/duchatelet-verkoopt-vermaledijde-charlton/

Google translate version:

Duchâtelet sells damned Charlton

The entrepreneur Roland Duchâtelet has sold the English third-division Charlton Athletic to a group of investors linked to The Australian Football Consortium. Duchâtelet bought Charlton in January 2014 and initially had the greatest plans for it. But that was all nothing. The second division Charlton would be promoted to the Premier League, as the entrepreneur promised, but the opposite happened. Charlton dropped to the third class. From that moment on it was no longer a good thing between the Belgian football player and the British supporters. They increasingly became the person of Duchâtelet, both literally and figuratively.

Huh?

Interesting, when was this article posted?
  • J BLOCK said:

AshBurton said:

Clearly yesterday's non-statement got a bit lost in translation, as a Belgian work colleague just sent me this: https://derijkstebelgen.be/nieuws/duchatelet-verkoopt-vermaledijde-charlton/

The entrepreneur Roland Duchâtelet has sold the English third-division Charlton Athletic to a group of investors linked to The Australian Football Consortium. Duchâtelet bought Charlton in January 2014 and initially had the greatest plans for it. But that was all nothing. The second division Charlton would be promoted to the Premier League, as the entrepreneur promised, but the opposite happened. Charlton dropped to the third class. From that moment on it was no longer a good thing between the Belgian football player and the British supporters. They increasingly became the person of Duchâtelet, both literally and figuratively.

Huh?

Interesting, when was this article posted?
    Geplaatst op 21 juni 2018 om 16:00.
  • It actually wouldn't surprise me if the sale news leaked out in Belgium before it reaches our website.

I'm pretty sure the news of RD buying us was leaked abroad first and whatever we think of him RD is still a high profile figure out in Belgium.
  • AshBurton said:

Looks like an hour ago.

I missed out the second half of the article:

Charlton confirmed the sales plans. According to the BBC, an acquisition price was already stipulated in February. When the sale should be completed, the club did not know. If it is up to the supporters, as soon as possible. At the end of 2016, a group of British supporters even went to Sint-Truiden to ruin the birthday party of the 70-year-old Duchâtelet. Former CEO Katrien Meire, called "Nightmeire" by the supporters, already left Charlton, she is now working at Sheffield Wednesday.

Roland Duchâtelet bought the German Carl Zeiss Jena in December 2013 and in January 2014 the English Charlton Athletic FC and the Spanish AD Alcorcón. His son Roderick is chairman of the Hungarian team Újpest FC. In Belgium he first checked Sint-Truiden, later Standard and then again Sint-Truiden. Now he only owns the real estate of the Limburg club and he systematically withdraws from the football world. In interviews Duchâtelet stated that football is actually nothing for him. It is far too irrational and not manageable with a business approach.

Christ, we could have told him that three years ago! I wonder when the penny finally dropped?

• Predicted the world isn't going to end this year isn't a prediction in my book.
    WIOTOS, or at least on the Ten O'clock news.
    Goodbye cruel world.
  • Sponsored links:

• How does Muir raise the extra cash required?

Primarily he's looking for a couple of punters to chuck in about five million quid into the pot. In return for this they get a junior directors role, tickets to every game, the glamour of the English third tier and quite probably all the chips they can eat.

OK I'm being facetious, but it is a genuine question. What is there to sell to additional investors?

the clue is in the word investors. Invest 5m now and get x million back when we reach the promised land. As in all investments the value can go down as well as up but that is the chance you take.

Which is why the Aussies might be finding it tough to get investors. 'Gambling' £5m (say) on a loss making business where you only get a serious return if it makes it to the PL is not a sensible investment in my book. UK football finances are bonkers.
    Shhhh
  • With RD having a fire sale, since last month we have gone from the play offs to the lay offs

I don't think the sale of Konsa for £2.3M constitutes a fire sale does it ?
    Was it good business in the long term?
  • edited June 2018
    DOUCHER said:

Chizz said:

It's going to reach 1,000 pages. Isn't it?

It may well not.

Just to add an additional band of excitement to this, but we can't find any other site that uses the same platform software carrying a thread beyond 3 digit pages. So your guess is as good as ours.

Should CL spontaneously combust. It was nice knowing you all :-)
    If it does reach 1000 pages, do NLA and I get some sort of award?
    You get a demote for putting out Darren/Murray/Duchâtelet propaganda aimed at our future glorious leaders ;-)
  • Solidgone said:

There is no such thing as a Varney.
  • Ferryman said:

JamesSeed said:

Ferryman said:

SE23 said:

Maybe have some integerety this time and not post it on every single social media medium

Why is that so important to you?
    Only posted on Twitter.
    Was asked on here to go all out to get press coverage, but decided not to go down that route.
    I wanted to make a gesture is all.
    Sorry James, I was questioning why that person complained about you sharing to a wider audience via multiple platforms, not digging you out. Really appreciate what you've done mate.
    Sorry I was trying to reply to him. Thanks though:-)
  • With RD having a fire sale, since last month we have gone from the play offs to the lay offs

Who knows, we don't know what the add ons were for starters.
    If we could tell how Konsa's career will definitely go, we'd have a better idea, but we can't.
  • AshBurton said:

Huh?

Wouldn't it be bloody hilarious if this is how we heard the club had been sold. Classic Charlton. Not WIOTOS, not even WIAATPC. A dodgy Google translation, of a dodgy article.
  • Davo55 said:

Solidgone said:

There is no such thing as a Varney.
    Sadly true.
  • AshBurton said:

Looks like an hour ago.

I missed out the second half of the article:

Charlton confirmed the sales plans. According to the BBC, an acquisition price was already stipulated in February. When the sale should be completed, the club did not know. If it is up to the supporters, as soon as possible. At the end of 2016, a group of British supporters even went to Sint-Truiden to ruin the birthday party of the 70-year-old Duchâtelet. Former CEO Katrien Meire, called "Nightmeire" by the supporters, already left Charlton, she is now working at Sheffield Wednesday.

Roland Duchâtelet bought the German Carl Zeiss Jena in December 2013 and in January 2014 the English Charlton Athletic FC and the Spanish AD Alcorcón. His son Roderick is chairman of the Hungarian team Újpest FC. In Belgium he first checked Sint-Truiden, later Standard and then again Sint-Truiden. Now he only owns the real estate of the Limburg club and he systematically withdraws from the football world. In interviews Duchâtelet stated that football is actually nothing for him. It is far too irrational and not manageable with a business approach.

Good point. It's reminded me to put a tenner on Sheffield Wednesday being relegated.

Who knows, we don't know what the add ons were for starters.
    If we could tell how Konsa's career will definitely go, we'd have a better idea, but we can't.
    Well we are told Rd sold to Brentford, because they offered to pay more money up front, would he be interested in add ons, if the club is sold, I take it the new owners would receive any extra income.
    The point I was trying to make is from all the hopes of getting promoted through the play offs, we are now left with a threadbare staff and looking like more players may be sold, and no sign of new players coming in
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!