Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    being played.......ie, just being told to "sit down & shut up". We, the fans, are in consequential in all this and as such need not be told anything. Put out the odd communique every now & then when the peasants are about to start an uprising & reassure them that everything is running smoothly. The EFL dont care about the fans, their interest is the club. The club dont care about the fans, their interest is to themselves. The Aussies dont care about the fans otherwise they would have said something by now. Nothing to do with NDA's. Everyone knows who is buying what & where.......just not the when. Everything else is just noise.
  • Options
    It’s hard not to conclude that perhaps Duchatelet isn’t as keen to sell as he says he is.
  • Options

I'm still of the opinion that if Duchatelet dropped his price to £25m, if that is indeed the price, then the Aussies or maybe the other parties would close a deal within days.

It is up to Roland to decide if he keeps on losing money month on month or to cut his losses and get out.

None of the parties are going to pay £40m but surrounded as he is by "yes men" no one will tell Duchatelet that.

WIOTOS

This.
  • Options

It’s hard not to conclude that perhaps Duchatelet isn’t as keen to sell as he says he is.

The evidence seems to suggest that, but why on earth would he want to keep us?

• Options
    I think deep down...I mean really deep that Roland loves Charlton. Especially now when the team are playing groovy football...or perhaps not and he can’t find mugs to meet his valuation.
  • Options

Been saying that for sometime now.......if he were, he’d surely drop the asking price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Airman Brown is that £10m correct? Even if you include interest (that will never be paid), right down of assets and goodwill, it still seems high.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    razil said:

It’s certainly not a distressed sale as he is so wealthy. He appears to have made a valuation (accurate or not - rather than wanting all his investment back) and is sticking to it, we assume he is losing a considerable whack but not as much as he was with a legacy championship wage bill, reduced admin costs and other cuts.
    Can we also assume at least some of the losses can be offset against profits (and therefore tax) in his other companies?

He has publicly stated getting into football was a mistake but that might be to do with the FFP loosening that removed the Networks competitive edge.

My view is we are still long way off ‘forcing’ a sale, if ever. I also see no evidence that any financial action that we can take has made any difference to him. Evidence does suggest however he is far more affected by bad publicity (much of his own making) and action that portrays him in a bad light since he seems to react by making statements bypassing his own publicity machine.

Charlton under Bowyer are now enjoying a miraculous turn around and a potentially very exciting season. The irony now is that (this is an ideal scenario for encouraging fans back) a well supported team might actually do more to move him on than a boycott as prospective owners see a well supported club and a better number in the books.

I am sure you are right about this - the adverse publicity for Roland resulting from ROT's high profile visit over the August Bank Holiday clearly riled him. Sad as it is for the Charlton employees involved, the bonus business was a gift as far as the Roland Out campaign was concerned as it had direct relevance to his businesses in Belgium. We need ways to maintain that sort f pressure.

Promotion might make the club more sellable IF Roland didn't then raise the price. And I bet the greedy daft bugger would do exactly that.

As I have remarked before, in LDT Roland has once again chosen as his representative and adviser someone who he trusts but who has no knowledge of the English football leagues. Let's hope LDT is a faster learner than Katrien was, and that he has the authority to provide some good advice, and soon. There is clearly something putting off potential purchasers, whether it is the headline price or post sale add-ons.
  • Options
    Anyone hear anything Saturday?
  • Options
    @Airman Brown I’m interested in what you think were the net savings on this summers business (if any)?

Also if overheads were hurting why cut now? The reason given by LdT was that they were off putting to buyers.. bonkers or not the timing makes sense. I’m not suggesting he is indifferent but he’s certainlt not over concerned although some of that may be reflected in the haircut on his investment, albeit not where we think the valuation should be.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Cafc43v3r said:

@Airman Brown is that £10m correct? Even if you include interest (that will never be paid), right down of assets and goodwill, it still seems high.

It’s his figure (statement September 25th) and it makes sense based on the published 2016/17 starting point for the year. I cannot see even him publishing a false figure for the loss and presumably LDT has some kind of professional ethics requirement.
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

It’s his figure (statement September 25th) and it makes sense based on the published 2016/17 starting point for the year. I cannot see even him publishing a false figure for the loss and presumably LDT has some kind of professional ethics requirement.
    I have just reread the statement. What I found very intresting is the difference between the real profit and loss for the 2 seasons is almost exactly the transfer fees from Lookman and Fox (+6m v - 5m).

So if last seasons figure is correct, as you say we should believe it to be, the actual running loss has increased by what ever amount we sold Konsa and Holmes for. Be very intresting if this is backed up come April's accounts.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:

I have just reread the statement. What I found very intresting is the difference between the real profit and loss for the 2 seasons is almost exactly the transfer fees from Lookman and Fox (+6m v - 5m).

So if last seasons figure is correct, as you say we should believe it to be, the actual running loss has increased by what ever amount we sold Konsa and Holmes for. Be very intresting if this is backed up come April's accounts.
    He actually says in the statemement that the operating loss (which doesn't include player trading, for avoidance of doubt) increased in 2017/18 - considering it was £14.3m in 2016/17 AND there was unwind of some liabilities left over from the Championship in the subsequent year, that is remarkable. In fact, I doubt if it is true. If it is I wonder who he thinks was responsible.
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:

He actually says in the statemement that the operating loss (which doesn't include player trading, for avoidance of doubt) increased in 2017/18 - considering it was £14.3m in 2016/17 AND there was unwind of some liabilities left over from the Championship in the subsequent year, that is remarkable. In fact, I doubt if it is true. If it is I wonder who he thinks was responsible.
    Bloody hell, I have just reread the 2016/17 accounts, well the P&L anyway. I didn't realise they include the sales of JBG, Cousins, Pope etc as well!

• Options
    edited October 2018
    razil said:

@Airman Brown I’m interested in what you think were the net savings on this summers business (if any)?

Also if overheads were hurting why cut now? The reason given by LdT was that they were off putting to buyers.. bonkers or not the timing makes sense. I’m not suggesting he is indifferent but he’s certainlt not over concerned although some of that may be reflected in the haircut on his investment, albeit not where we think the valuation should be.

Hard to say but Holmes and Konsa were significant costs in 2017/18 and you'd think Taylor and Pratley are now, up to a point. We won't be paying all (most of?) the loan players' wages and the same applies to last season.

I think the disconnect is between the idea that the running costs are putting off buyers and that the savings he is making are material to that. Although I don't agree with a lot of what the Portsmouth guy had to say at the CAST AGM (it was generic and didn't fit the Charlton case), he was obviously right to talk about player contracts as the significant liability in the business. The real saving opportunity comes at the end of this season, because we have hardly any contracted players for 2019/20 (Pearce, Taylor, Pratley, Aribo, Sarr, Dijksteel being the main exceptions) at this point and unless RD thinks they have sale value (mainly the other young players) it's likely the squad will be cleared out in L1. Plus some sales.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interested to hear what you didn’t agree with.

I though the Portsmouth fella spoke a lot of sense. As you know I am no Duchatelet apologist but it is for sure the case that we could have worse and other teams in the EFL and premiership can demonstrate that fairly effectively.

Player contracts are, as he said, fairly rock solid and agreeing to the long term contracts of Sarr, Holmes, Vetokele and others has certainly been a drag on finances.

So now we have gone too far the other way and are only offering short term (or no eg Bauer) deals.

Maybe I’m being a bit old fashioned here but I generally benchmark what I do against the industry norms and then try and get a better deal. When did we decide we knew better than everyone else (Duchatelet?)
  • Options
    It is interesting to me that the Aussies are still in the frame as potential buyers.

From's RD's perspective, I just assume no other potential buyers are anywhere close to agreeing with his valuation, hence he won't tell them to get lost despite their failure to close on the purchase. But why are the Aussies still apparently still interested? Are Charlton really that attractive a proposition for gaining entry to the English football league at RD's asking price that they are apparently prepared to work for months and months trying to put together a consortium in order to fund it. Sooner or later you would think they either have to come up with the necessary finances or else look elsewhere for a cheaper acquisition.

• Options
    Highest paid player per week?.
  • Options
    @razil

I don't think RD can offset losses from CAFC against profits from his main businesses such as Melexis. Nor are his other clubs in Staprix likely to be showing big profits. However, Nigel Kleinfeld , the Trust finance wizard, inspected Staprix accounts and found lurking there a profitable call centre/ direct marketing business which operates from offices in the Stayen stadium in S-T. To that extent, the losses could be utilized. But personally I think it is all about what he walks away with from football compared with what he has put in. We know he is already well up on the Standard business, and presumably doesn't want to spoil that by losing £15m on the sale of Charlton.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

J BLOCK said:
    I don't see that as merely incompetence, I see it also as blatant disrespect. They were more than happy to go public about calling the meetings so that they could show that they had teeth, but now are keeping their counsel. Presumably because there is sweet FA they can do about him being there, due to their own process is so weak.
    I'd warrant that nothing they've found out does them at the EFL any favours at all. Fit & Proper? for what exactly? They've got nothing to say cos even their PR department understands that: "we've sat idly by and let a member club of 113 years vintage be run into the ground by a foreigner we'd not previously met, we only stirred ourselves this time cos that noisy rabble doorstepped us with Fleet St in tow" is not something to publicise. So long as smthn purporting to be CAFC fulfils its fixtures and pays its subs on time EFL has neither the wit nor willingness to give one flying fuck. Ownership, governance, structure, reputation, honourable staff relations matter not one jot, especially as CAFC doesn't subscribe to all the EFL's fuckwit ideas, like ifollow. Their enduring silence says nothing else.
  • Options

It is interesting to me that the Aussies are still in the frame as potential buyers.

From's RD's perspective, I just assume no other potential buyers are anywhere close to agreeing with his valuation, hence he won't tell them to get lost despite their failure to close on the purchase. But why are the Aussies still apparently still interested? Are Charlton really that attractive a proposition for gaining entry to the English football league at RD's asking price that they are apparently prepared to work for months and months trying to put together a consortium in order to fund it. Sooner or later you would think they either have to come up with the necessary finances or else look elsewhere for a cheaper acquisition.

I've been asking this question for months, just seems very strange to me.
  • Options

I've been asking this question for months, just seems very strange to me.
    I've no idea what the Aussie masterplan is, but then if their consortium membership has changed, I'm not sure they know either.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!