Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Roland has to go 100%. Does he honestly think protests would stop if he's remotely still involved?

I'm not remotely in favour of spitting club and ground again, but supposing there was a viable long-term lease with a clause providing for buyback on promotion to the PL?
    As always the devil is in the detail, but just because we all want rid of RD doesn't mean we have to be supportive of the first potential buyer to show an interest even if the bid is far from ideal.
  • In my mind, protests continue until Roland sells the club, and the Valley.

i don't disagree but who do we protest to and how? If the new owners just can't afford The Valley but are going to improve the club's fortunes surely they deserve our full support do they not?

Roland. He doesn't get to sell the club and keep the ground.

Either he sells the club and all of the assets in it's entirety or he carries on losing millions per year. His choice.
    But it is his choice isn't it? He can do what ever he likes. Just like he could choose to sell The Valley to developers or apply for planning to build houses or flats on it.

In reality the deal would be done before it was confirmed in the public domain so by that point I don't see how protesting at games etc. would have any impact.
  • It is his choice (unfortunately) but I'd hope that doesn't mean the fans lie down and take it.
  • Im absolutely disturbed by this turn of events, Roland won't go, he is making this personal - maybe we will become the next franchise fc....eugrh mk Charlton Warriors
  • Just caught up on all of this, not as exciting as I would have hoped for but more potential positives then negatives from that one article IMO.
  • I wouldn't put it past Roland to use the ground as a pawn against us going forward, worrying developments
  • folder said:

Im absolutely disturbed by this turn of events, Roland won't go, he is making this personal - maybe we will become the next franchise fc....eugrh mk Charlton Warriors

Even worse he could paint the ground any colour other than red all traces of Charlton Athletic FC in & around the club could go on his say so,we won't be allowed any banners,posters or flags put up or on display & he will have Pinnochio kept on as the landlady from hell...

We need 110% rid of this vermin...no if or buts,let's ride him out of town good & proper
  • Sponsored links:

• It's fair to say he's put a significant sum into the training ground as well as the valley. If we was to keep one I don't see why he wouldn't keep the other.

Training ground is a liability he would have to pump money into for no immediate return. Better off getting rid.
  • posting after reading the whole thread.

Firstly, good the Club is for sale. Why so much concern over how much money the Aussies have? Roland is worth 500m, where has that got us? Also, they wouldn't have got this far without being able to prove they have xxx amount as backing especially if they have been granted a period of exclusivity. They seem to have a plan to get us to the PL at which point their investors will see a return on their investment. They also seem to realise the need to include people with a knowledge of the English game, like Mark Schwarzer. Did Roland do that? No he dumped Meire, Dreisen et al on us. As for a feeder club, can't see this. Can see Aussie players coming here but they don't have an Aussie club to take our players to. Nowhere near the same as Roland's plan. To me 20m seems a lot for a League One club. If that doesn't include The Valley then they are being legged over. If it doesn't is that a cause for concern? That depends. If they negotiate a reasonable lease with the ability to buy The Valley at a pre determined price once PL status is obtained or once they have the funds then I'd take that. If not and Roland could dictate rent rises at will and ask a ridiculous price for it in the future then that is a concern.

Ultimately though he's willing to sell, there is at least one interested party, probably more, and his days are numbered. Need to see more flesh on the bones of this consortia's plans though.

After reading to about halfway through this thread, this is the most sensible posting I've seen. On the basis of something in a newspaper that has no reputation for truth, people want to know the intricate details of the deal and have slagged off because it isn't known. It appears there may be some interest in a takeover. It seems as if a consortium is being put together to finance it. There appears to be people involved with a football background. We know nothing yet. Lets be sensible for once and wait to see if something positive emerges.
  • Sorry, not read all this thread, but is there some chance Roland will keep the Valley? This must absolutely NOT happen.
  • Ambition is key.

Easy to be negative about their current lack of 'investment' but this isn't as simple as they haven't got the money, they need the money to come from the right hands. If they take it from the wrong person it wouldn't end well, they need it from someone with the same aim and interests as them.

These guys have ambition of something for the Club

Roland does not.

This does not mean they are the best potential buyers, nor does it mean it will end perfectly, but ambition is key - these guys won't invest as a play toy to try farm profit and make non-footballing decisions, as they would get highly embarrassed and lose a lot of money.

Think they've underestimated the quality of Australian footballers mind, watching Brisbane Roar a few times while I'm currently out here - Christ, the decision making is appauling, headless chickens on a pitch!
  • Ambition is keyless if you do not own the ground. Any initiative he will take a cut, be it food, community trust, conferencing, restaurant. It simply must NOT happen.
  • Will Roly just become a bigger part of the ex directors who have a payback due when (it ain't ever happening) we make it to the PL , with The Valley as some sort of guarantor for his amount
  • And you think Roland has problems just popping over for games regularly!!!
  • I honestly think that RD wouldn't bother watching Charlton if we were having a kickabout in his back garden. Sour old twat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Only just read the him still owning The Valley bits, highly worrying indeed and indicative of what he is about.

Would be a landmine waiting to be stepped upon, closure of stands, building work.

Not good.
  • edited April 2017

If not The Valley. What exactly does their £20 million get them ?

A training ground that still needs £x million spent on it and quite frankly a bunch of very very ordinary footballers. A brand Charlton Athletic and a right to play in the English Leagues. A ticket to the PL lottery. A guarantee that every year the club will lose money .

£20 million sounds rather expensive to me.

Agreed short term but the intention seems long term and if successful very cheap.

Of course the plan has to come off but would like to think they have a decent plan and not idiotically underestimate leagues they know nothing about. We are now in the situation where the previous owners have used up all our lives and the same or different mistakes could be fatal.

Would hate to think we are going on an Australian tour of managers and players nowhere near the standard required to give us a strong brand for them to identify with down under.
  • Yellow shirts,green shorts.
    Advance Australia fair instead of Red Red Robin
    Shit lager on sale...oh..got that one covered already

Doesn't have to be shit lager, they could stock the bar with Cooper's or Red Back.
  • Sounds like what Simon Jordan purchased , he prolly got less (not sure there was a training ground involved) and his team made it to the Prem and he still done his dough

I'm not sure if you can make a profit in the Prem if you wanna stay there, due to the ridiculous cost of improved contracts and players
  • My view too. If you take away the ground and traing ground, whst exactly does your 20m buy you? The prestige of being owner of a club in a tailspin, a fairly ordinary set of footballers, and the right to pay off ongoing debts. Plus being at the mercy of any future rises in the cost of leasing the ground the ex owner chooses to demand. Sounds a real bargain.
  • Ffs people. The possible new owners haven't even taken over and the negativity has already started. Be careful not to scare people away by speculating about their intentions immediately. Few points..,

- We want ROLAND out.
    - We want Katrein Out.
    - Anyone has potential to be better than them.
    - People don't generally invest to fail.
    - Feeding us young potential stars don't mean forcing us to play them.
    - Everyone deserves a chance.
    - We gave Roland at least a year before we rebelled.
    - I don't think any owner will want to piss us off again.
    - At least aussies speak the lingo.
    - FINALLY IF HE SELLS WE WON ANOTHER BATTLE!

@sadiejane1981 I agree with you on all those points bar one - have you ever heard an Australian speak? You COULD call it English.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!