Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    @AFKABartram what’s the most posts ever on a CL thread? This must be top?
  • Options
    It's all quite simple ....roland just does nt give a jot
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    If the club is losing £1m a month - delaying purchase by 2 months saves you £2m. If that £2m was given to the new manager next season, it could fund a promotion push. Wait 3 months and you save £3m!!!! You can still spend the time lining a new manager up etc...
  • Options
    I blame it all on chaos theory. Bloody scientists!
  • Options
    This is 2nd hand so please don't shoot the messenger, but it's a rumour and worth sharing.

My friend *(not a Charlton fan but knows a lot of the squad) has been told that Murray's statement was evasive of a few facts.

A price had been agreed, so that Statement in itself wasn't false (although there is some debate about whether it was actually ever 2 parties). RD, however, has moved the goalposts as to how the deal would be structured.

This caught the party(ies) off guard as they thought agreeing the price had been enough for it to be 'done', but the reality is we're no further forward than we were three months ago.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Although I’m a bit more relaxed about the eventual sale (ie, as others have said, it will happen just be patient), what I do worry about is the state of the squad come next season if we don’t get a chance to have some sort of transfer window in the summer

This noise KR is making about planning forward etc is a valid (albeit I think he used it as a smokescreen for how shite Tuesday was). If we don’t get players to sign new contracts and draw up targets, we’re gonna have the majority of the u23s potentially playing next season

Our squad as it is is just about hanging onto top 10. Lose a Fosu or Aribo in the summer without getting a buyer in, and we’re in a relegation battle next season

I just don't see this at all. We are not yet in April - contracts don't run out until the end of June & players can't be bought until the start of June. No-one is going anywhere as of yet & can't do until June 1st (and that only applies to those out of contract at July 1st). As for the 2 players you named - they're contracts don't run out at that point in any case so they certainly won't be leaving anytime soon. Most clubs wont be drawing up players to sign until May anyway so I think we have a few months before things start looking dodgy. I'm confident that the takeover will be done before the end of May.
    You can never second guess a twat
    Someone contact Athena and get this on a poster.
  • Options

This is 2nd hand so please don't shoot the messenger, but it's a rumour and worth sharing.

My friend *(not a Charlton fan but knows a lot of the squad) has been told that Murray's statement was evasive of a few facts.

A price had been agreed, so that Statement in itself wasn't false (although there is some debate about whether it was actually ever 2 parties). RD, however, has moved the goalposts as to how the deal would be structured.

This caught the party(ies) off guard as they thought agreeing the price had been enough for it to be 'done', but the reality is we're no further forward than we were three months ago.

Can quite believe this to be true unfortunately :neutral:
  • Options

See my post above, RM being played, not RM lying, the sale will be completely at RD’s pace and terms, why anyone thinks otherwise is beyond me, RM has no say or influence.
  • Options
    Stig said:

He has played every single person involved in the club he is as addicted has said a master manipulator and one that has enjoyed the last 4 months than any of his previous

When he has finished playing he will toss us aside for a fee he is happy with and it won’t be anywhere near the numbers mentioned

He has deliberately played Rick ,CARD, Murray

I can see how it could look like that the way the cards have fallen, but it doesn't ring true to me. Sure he's a manipulator, but I honestly don't think he has either the emotional intelligence or the personal interest to do that. This is a man who bought a football club and then couldn't be arsed to see them play, do you honestly believe he's sitting in his Merksem lair playing silly games with the aim of tricking a fanzine editor into publishing an over-optimistic story about the time scale of his departure? This is a man who thinks he's Alan Turing, not a man who thinks he's Ernst Blofeld.

I genuinely believe that RD wants to sell but is in turmoil over the money he'll lose. Rather than being some all-powerful player the silly old git has got himself caught between a rock and a hard place: He wants more money for the club than it is worth, so his solution is to play hardball with potential buyers hoping that he can wring more out of the deal by being patient and playing one off against another. In a normal situation with a profitable or (at least) break even business, that might make sense. The trouble for RD is that he is losing £1m a month - and personally contributing to these huge deficits by his very own presence. The longer he holds out, the more it costs him.

As for the buyers, why would they want to bid more than their initial valuations simply because some mad old git holds the deeds? This may come as a painful revelation to some, but Charlton are probably not the most attractive purchase in the football league. Although there is potential, it is no greater than for many other mid-ranking league clubs. There are a dozen or so similarly sized clubs in the middle reaches of the football league who could potentially reach the land of milk and honey if only given the right investment. Clubs in the Championship and League One frequently come up for sale. With the possible exception of Muir, who was understood to be a genuine Charlton man, potential investors could easily take their money elsewhere. And of course, the longer Duchatelet hangs on the more debt he incurs. So we're in a Mexican stand-off at the moment, there's nothing more sinister than that; different parties all holding out to see what the others do. Some potential investors (the analogy demands use of the world cowboys, but that is maybe unfair on some) may come or go, but ultimately they are all waiting for someone to surrender or blink. The unfortunate truth for Roly, but the happy fact for us, is that increasing debt means he will have to sell at some point. He is Tuco Ramírez, the ugly one, those million a month costs effectively mean that he's the one in a gunfight with an unloaded gun.

If he wanted to silence CARD and VoTV he could do it at a stroke. All he'd have to do is sell. It would be far easier and in the long run will cause him less trouble. He's got a bigger fight on his hands at the moment though.
    Disagree about the potential. We are close to one of the financial centers of the world. I have flown into City airport a couple of times on business from Switzerland and often thought what a great location the ground is in especially with all the development in the area as well. Any businessman buying the club could stick their logo on the roof of the valley and have great brand awareness. I would see us as more attractive than a Blackburn or Wigan for a savvy investor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Perhaps the buyers' are playing with Duchatelet, after all they are in a very strong position. They may have agreed the price and then backed off.

Last I heard the price hasn't been agreed.
  • Options

Not true
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Perhaps the buyers' are playing with Duchatelet, after all they are in a very strong position. They may have agreed the price and then backed off.

Last I heard the price hasn't been agreed.
    It’s not been agreed 100%
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

Stig said:

He has played every single person involved in the club he is as addicted has said a master manipulator and one that has enjoyed the last 4 months than any of his previous

When he has finished playing he will toss us aside for a fee he is happy with and it won’t be anywhere near the numbers mentioned

I can see how it could look like that the way the cards have fallen, but it doesn't ring true to me. Sure he's a manipulator, but I honestly don't think he has either the emotional intelligence or the personal interest to do that. This is a man who bought a football club and then couldn't be arsed to see them play, do you honestly believe he's sitting in his Merksem lair playing silly games with the aim of tricking a fanzine editor into publishing an over-optimistic story about the time scale of his departure? This is a man who thinks he's Alan Turing, not a man who thinks he's Ernst Blofeld.

I genuinely believe that RD wants to sell but is in turmoil over the money he'll lose. Rather than being some all-powerful player the silly old git has got himself caught between a rock and a hard place: He wants more money for the club than it is worth, so his solution is to play hardball with potential buyers hoping that he can wring more out of the deal by being patient and playing one off against another. In a normal situation with a profitable or (at least) break even business, that might make sense. The trouble for RD is that he is losing £1m a month - and personally contributing to these huge deficits by his very own presence. The longer he holds out, the more it costs him.

As for the buyers, why would they want to bid more than their initial valuations simply because some mad old git holds the deeds? This may come as a painful revelation to some, but Charlton are probably not the most attractive purchase in the football league. Although there is potential, it is no greater than for many other mid-ranking league clubs. There are a dozen or so similarly sized clubs in the middle reaches of the football league who could potentially reach the land of milk and honey if only given the right investment. Clubs in the Championship and League One frequently come up for sale. With the possible exception of Muir, who was understood to be a genuine Charlton man, potential investors could easily take their money elsewhere. And of course, the longer Duchatelet hangs on the more debt he incurs. So we're in a Mexican stand-off at the moment, there's nothing more sinister than that; different parties all holding out to see what the others do. Some potential investors (the analogy demands use of the world cowboys, but that is maybe unfair on some) may come or go, but ultimately they are all waiting for someone to surrender or blink. The unfortunate truth for Roly, but the happy fact for us, is that increasing debt means he will have to sell at some point. He is Tuco Ramírez, the ugly one, those million a month costs effectively mean that he's the one in a gunfight with an unloaded gun.

If he wanted to silence CARD and VoTV he could do it at a stroke. All he'd have to do is sell. It would be far easier and in the long run will cause him less trouble. He's got a bigger fight on his hands at the moment though.
    Disagree about the potential. We are close to one of the financial centers of the world. I have flown into City airport a couple of times on business from Switzerland and often thought what a great location the ground is in especially with all the development in the area as well. Any businessman buying the club could stick their logo on the roof of the valley and have great brand awareness. I would see us as more attractive than a Blackburn or Wigan for a savvy investor.
    Always been my outlook as well
  • Options

Just what need to boost flagging morale..another house selling analogy.

...at least I used the analogy of a car; which the owner had driven into a wall and subsequently then tried to sell at three times the list price for a brand new model :)
  • Options
    Seems like a Little Britain Sketch -

DW - Do you have any football clubs?
    ML -MARGARET - do we have any football clubs? Yes, we have Charlton Athletic.
    DW - What is the price then good sir?
    ML -Only £20 million pounds
    DW - Only £20 million, I agree.
    ML - Ok - er great, do you want me to wrap it up?
    DW - Why?
    ML - Well you want to buy the club?
    DW - No, I agree the price is £20 million (stands gormlessly)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    ct_addick said:

Stig said:

I'm certainly not saying we haven't got potential, I just think that as fans we're a little inclined to look a little on the sunny side. Just as you can put good reasons why we've got potential, the fans of most other clubs can do similarly. Sure, we're close to the city and that is a bonus, but South London's shit transport links let it down badly (see the Southern Rail thread for details) and anyway, in era of modern digital technology, proximity to the city is less important than ever. I don't know if anyone has thought about doing this, but if a modern day owner ever wanted to, they could watch all the games on a live feed to their home, office or favourite restaurant and never even visit the ground. As for roof advertising it can be very effective. The Mercedes stadium in Atlanta is probably the greatest example, but the key thing to remember is that most people will never see it in the flesh. It is only a viable proposition because millions of people will see it via internet links like this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15RAkUwNvYc

Whether it's worth the effort of painting The Valley roof I've know idea - my suspicion is that if it was a viable proposition it would already have been done. In terms of giving us a bigger potential than other clubs though, it can't be that big a deal. 5 million people use City airport every year - a drop in the ocean compared to the 75m who fly over Griffin Park.
  • Options
    Any wealthy looking chaps in the exec box today? I’m guessing not.
  • Options
    Stig said:

ct_addick said:

Stig said:

I'm certainly not saying we haven't got potential, I just think that as fans we're a little inclined to look a little on the sunny side. Just as you can put good reasons why we've got potential, the fans of most other clubs can do similarly. Sure, we're close to the city and that is a bonus, but South London's shit transport links let it down badly (see the Southern Rail thread for details) and anyway, in era of modern digital technology, proximity to the city is less important than ever. I don't know if anyone has thought about doing this, but if a modern day owner ever wanted to, they could watch all the games on a live feed to their home, office or favourite restaurant and never even visit the ground. As for roof advertising it can be very effective. The Mercedes stadium in Atlanta is probably the greatest example, but the key thing to remember is that most people will never see it in the flesh. It is only a viable proposition because millions of people will see it via internet links like this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15RAkUwNvYc

Whether it's worth the effort of painting The Valley roof I've know idea - my suspicion is that if it was a viable proposition it would already have been done. In terms of giving us a bigger potential than other clubs though, it can't be that big a deal. 5 million people use City airport every year - a drop in the ocean compared to the 75m who fly over Griffin Park.
    Fair point about Brentford but also it seems we are on the Heathrow flight path as well judging by the number of planes that fly over my parents house in Blackheath when I am home! The Valley is also a premier league standard stadium and the last time I was at Griifin park it wasn't. I would say you have a higher proportion of business execs flying into City plus the number of individuals with a higher disposable income living in the Docklands nowadays. The Valley would be a better football experience than the Olympic stadium and safer LOL.

• Options
    Just bumped this back up to the top. So not one piece of news or gossip from today ? Bloody lovely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

Told 2 pieces of news today and am just passing them on 1) robinson will be gone within the week 2) duchatalet was at the ground this morning.

Have you got any evidence of those things?
  • Options
    Stig said:

DOUCHER said:

Told 2 pieces of news today and am just passing them on 1) robinson will be gone within the week 2) duchatalet was at the ground this morning.

Have you got any evidence of those things?
    No

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

We'll know by Friday if you're right
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Well we’ll know within a week - let’s see
  • Options
    I can't see how Duchatelet would be at the ground on a match day.
  • Options
    if it is true, my hunch is the aussies are finalising the deal with duchatalet, murray is away as won't be involved, robbo is not part of aussies plans but jacko may hold the fort / be a last throw of the dice this season / be part of the coacing staff next year. i think this all fits with what is happening now and the noises coming out of robbo. it is a pure hunch - apologies can't be arsed with the caps, grammer etc
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!