Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

bobmunro said:

New owners might not be able to stop RD selling players whether they like it or not.

They may realise that Konsa is going anyway and prefer Roland to take the stick for it.

And long term they may see some money from sell ons and appearances anyway.

That's even if what is said is true.

We just don't know.

All of that makes sense, albeit as you say, we just don’t know.

However new owners would most certainly be able to stop player sales - trouble is we don’t have new owners and unless and until a purchase price is agreed (with conditions attached about selling assets) two sheds can do what he likes.

I have my doubts about this Bob.

I sold my business back in February 2017 and the due diligence commenced in August 2016. During the 6 month period the DD took place we traded as normal however the closer the deal got to completion i.e. Dec/Jan/Feb the tighter the controls got on what we could buy & sell.

We provided a list of assets well before the deal went through and the money was paid and there were a lot of stipulations in place concerning those assets and the sale or disposal of any.

I would class the players at any football club as assets so the possible sale of Konsa for millions does not sit well with me.

The above makes me feel we have the following scenarios taking place:

1/ DD is at an early stage meaning we are a long way from the club being sold.

2/ The DD policy is weak and flimsy which reflects badly on the potential new owner. A poor DD process can lead to a lot of nasty surprises for a buyer.
    Agreed - but due diligence is a precursor to agreeing a deal and not part of the deal itself.

If Konsa and/or Holmes are sold it tells me that a deal (or at least heads of agreement) is a way off being finalised.
  • Options

It seems that many people are concerned about Muir's reputation as a debt consolidator; someone that runs a very tight ship.

I would argue that had we had someone of that calibre in charge of the operation during the past three years the club might be in a better position than it is now.

Would we have sacked Chris Powell and followed it with a merry-go-round of third-rate so-called managers? Would we have sold good players at a deflated price? Would we have given away our best central defender? Would we have paid ridiculous wages on poor to average players? Initial consolidation, rather than the almost farcical game of ins and outs that occurred, would have led to a better managed club.

Three years ago this might have worked.

You know when you ask somebody for directions and they say "Well, I wouldn't start from here..."

Charlton is dying on it's arse. It's been starved and deprived and abandoned by its current owner. It needs investment now, not more parsimonious skinflints in charge.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Whether protest or celebration, a big crowd next week can only be a positive thing in the context of a sale process (so I understand).
  • Options
    This is a recent tweet concerning conversation with KR.

"My mate is at Bury and he’s just met up with KR who’s absolutely fuming over what’s happening, 100% the takeover is happening next week and it’s not the Scottish mob of McCleish & Muir ...... Must be the Aussies then ?"
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Heard that no one is getting near RD's asking price.

I'd be worried if anyone did, given how ridiculous it is. He's going to have to take a massive hit and I will laugh my socks off.
  • Options
    The people behind the bid I was told about chose to pull out last week.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

That a shame
  • Options

Karl Robinson has been talking to fans again. Has suggested the club may be sold next week. Via Glynne’s mailing list - reliable longstanding poster.

“A friend just bumped into Karl near the teams Bury hotel. 12 fit players today and JFC/Solly will be on the bench to make it look good - with no chance of coming on.

“Ricky has been sold from under Karl's feet as a debt management exercise, which the potential new owners are aware of ahead of the sale hopefully going through next week. That aligns to the 18th January rumour.

“PS Karl also said that Roland is a bastard! Tell us something we don't know.”

I really want to believe this, but before I get my hopes up, can someone answer my nagging worry - how would Robinson know?
    Robinson will know what he’s been told in order to get the Holmes deal done and to manage his expectations re transfers and keep the show on the road. If he’s been misled (again) that is likely to become an internal problem very quickly.

Next Saturday could be a party or the biggest protest yet, but either way things are ramping up.
    Not for the first time, I like the cut of your jib, AB !

I'm wondering whether we should be encouraging the boycotters to buy their tickets for this one.....
    One word from you and I'm there Mrs F, can I reserve the first slow dance of the evening? ;)
  • Options
    nothing will happen next week
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

J BLOCK said:

Nug said:

J BLOCK said:

Missed It said:

SDAddick said:

J BLOCK said:

Karl Robinson has been talking to fans again. Has suggested the club may be sold next week. Via Glynne’s mailing list - reliable longstanding poster.

“A friend just bumped into Karl near the teams Bury hotel. 12 fit players today and JFC/Solly will be on the bench to make it look good - with no chance of coming on.

“Ricky has been sold from under Karl's feet as a debt management exercise, which the potential new owners are aware of ahead of the sale hopefully going through next week. That aligns to the 18th January rumour.

“PS Karl also said that Roland is a bastard! Tell us something we don't know.”

Why would any potential owners with ambition be ok with Holmes being sold - worrying
    This.

Posted the below on the separate thread but I find this concerning. Why would they be okay with a "Debt management exercise" unless they were expecting to do similar things themselves?

So if this is being done as a "debt manaegment" exercise, you have to wonder if the new owners are backing it. It should be worth wondering if their first objective will be to bring operating costs down and narrow the deficit gap.

If so, things might get worse
    Donald Muir is on board with the McLeish bid. His sole job with Rangers was 'debt management' and he got Lloyd's the money back they were daft enough to lend in the first place. Expect more of the same.
    Genuinely what else can they manage through debt - after Konsa we’ll have no young players who are going to make us a buck, fan base dwindling alarmingly, team made up for free’s and loan’s, where are you going to find the money to even come close to breaking even?

We need people with coin, not people who are happy with two of our best players leaving. Doesn’t bode well at all.
    I think you're making way too many assumptions. We have no idea what funding they have, what plans they might have from a footballing perspective. Whether you like McLeish or not he's first and foremost a football man and a highly experienced one at that and may be just advising. Muir had a role to play at Rangers doesn't mean that's his role here and lastly we don't even know it's them. Charlton needs a change and all this careful what you wish for is bollocks, I certainly didn't wish for the shit show we are now.
    Get that, but by allowing the sale of our best player Holmes and our best young player Konsa, it does give an indication, imo, as to their ambitions for the club
    Feel you are making too many assumptions. I could just mean that McLeish has looked at him the last two games, thought he was average and replaceable. And if that is what it would take for a deal to go through then so be it
    This, added to the fact that they have seen we have no strikers & maybe a way of raising money to fund something we really need. The Takeover may not happen for a couple of weeks & any new owner may have agreed to Holmes leaving as they know they can't buy after January.

Only positive spin I can think of.
  • Options
    We cannot consolidate our debts in this division. Charlton will lose money in this division because £50m of debt costs £3m in interest!
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Damn. Sounded too good to be true. Shame.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Was this the 5/5 exciting bid who were minted??
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Redhenry said:

Yes. I believe so
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Redhenry said:

Yep. Looks like Muir or Muir.
  • Options

cafckev said:

Redhenry said:

Yes. I believe so
    Oh shit!
  • Options
    We are not selling the club
    It's just another excuse why we are not buying anyone
    only selling players also an excuse
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Re Konsa, my limited knowledge of football finances would suggest that he is not a financial asset - as a youth player, he would have no actual book value. In fact, his contract/ wages would be a liability. Might make it easier for RD just to sell him and pocket the proceeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laddick01 said:

Can you reveal who they were now @Redhenry seeing as they have no interest in the club

If not no worries

Not at the moment @Laddick01
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Laddick01 said:

Can you reveal who they were now @Redhenry seeing as they have no interest in the club

If not no worries

Not even their nationality @Redhenry ?
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Laddick01 said:

If not no worries

Not even their nationality @Redhenry ?
    Eskimo
  • Options
    Any chance they could come back with another offer? Perhaps why your still guarded on who they are?
  • Options
    Holmes going is possibly just the final piece of the puzzle prior to the takeover I reckon.

Full steam ahead
  • Options

nothing will happen next week

Is that based on anything or just a guess?
  • Options
    Unless he lowers his valuation, it will be a long time until he's gone :-1:
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Laddick01 said:

If not no worries

If this is the Yvette Fielding/Mark Curry bid then we should all be devastated......
  • Options
    Thread may in fact reach 2m views based on the fact that it only took a few days for 100k views added on top on the million
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!