Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited January 2018
    Tony Adams - definitely not involved.
  • It’s going to be the McLeish consortium. Nobody is meeting Roland’s price but worryingly they seem happy to let Holmes and Konsa leave without knocking a penny off what there willing to pay.

In Roland’s defence (can’t believe I’m saying it either) if you were to going to lower your valuation and could retrieve 4mil + just before the sale then you would, we all would. Just can’t believe there happy to let that happen as Konsa is the only player we currently have worth any sort of money.

This season is a write up IMO. But Roland will be gone and I reckon they will just see what Robinson can do. If he fails to impress it’s a new man with a decent sum to get us up next season.
  • J BLOCK said:

Karl Robinson has been talking to fans again. Has suggested the club may be sold next week. Via Glynne’s mailing list - reliable longstanding poster.

“A friend just bumped into Karl near the teams Bury hotel. 12 fit players today and JFC/Solly will be on the bench to make it look good - with no chance of coming on.

“Ricky has been sold from under Karl's feet as a debt management exercise, which the potential new owners are aware of ahead of the sale hopefully going through next week. That aligns to the 18th January rumour.

“PS Karl also said that Roland is a bastard! Tell us something we don't know.”

Why would any potential owners with ambition be ok with Holmes being sold - worrying
    This.

Posted the below on the separate thread but I find this concerning. Why would they be okay with a "Debt management exercise" unless they were expecting to do similar things themselves?

So if this is being done as a "debt manaegment" exercise, you have to wonder if the new owners are backing it. It should be worth wondering if their first objective will be to bring operating costs down and narrow the deficit gap.

If so, things might get worse
  • SDAddick said:

J BLOCK said:

Karl Robinson has been talking to fans again. Has suggested the club may be sold next week. Via Glynne’s mailing list - reliable longstanding poster.

“A friend just bumped into Karl near the teams Bury hotel. 12 fit players today and JFC/Solly will be on the bench to make it look good - with no chance of coming on.

“Ricky has been sold from under Karl's feet as a debt management exercise, which the potential new owners are aware of ahead of the sale hopefully going through next week. That aligns to the 18th January rumour.

Why would any potential owners with ambition be ok with Holmes being sold - worrying
    This.

Posted the below on the separate thread but I find this concerning. Why would they be okay with a "Debt management exercise" unless they were expecting to do similar things themselves?

So if this is being done as a "debt manaegment" exercise, you have to wonder if the new owners are backing it. It should be worth wondering if their first objective will be to bring operating costs down and narrow the deficit gap.

Donald Muir is on board with the McLeish bid. His sole job with Rangers was 'debt management' and he got Lloyd's the money back they were daft enough to lend in the first place. Expect more of the same.
  • Missed It said:

SDAddick said:

J BLOCK said:

This.

Donald Muir is on board with the McLeish bid. His sole job with Rangers was 'debt management' and he got Lloyd's the money back they were daft enough to lend in the first place. Expect more of the same.
    Genuinely what else can they manage through debt - after Konsa we’ll have no young players who are going to make us a buck, fan base dwindling alarmingly, team made up for free’s and loan’s, where are you going to find the money to even come close to breaking even?

We need people with coin, not people who are happy with two of our best players leaving. Doesn’t bode well at all.
  • WSS said:

Are players considered assets though? Like buildings, equipment, merchandise etc?

Are they not just employees paid by the club? Surely they have employment rights like most of us?

If somebody in the ticket office hands in their notice and wants out of their employment contract does the club refuse just because of an ongoing takeover?

Genuinely don’t know the difference etc so would be good to get some insight.

Legally as individuals, yes the players are just employees, much as you or I have been, with rights and obligations.
    But they are employees for whom significant sums are often paid for them to be recruited. Those sums show up in the clubs' records and accounts. A player's prospective next employer might be inclined to pay a fee to facilitate a transfer. These practices are long established in professional football. Monetary valuation of players' worth is commonplace. Yes in the upper echelons of football players are regarded as assets. Good footballers fit simple definitions of being "assets". Better players, can bring about better results on the pitch, better results can bring about better results financially, in a business context this is very similar to machinery and equipment. The same is true in the other direction: lose or sell better players and results can decline - Yann Kermorgant, Scott Parker for 2 examples.
    A (competent) prospective purchaser of a business should value said business based on the results that can reasonably be estimated from its current condition and recent history. The condition of CAFC's football business is in no small way dependent on the numbers of good quality players in the squad. When roly changes the makeup of that squad, it should follow that the valuation changes accordingly. Ricky Holmes sudden departure ought to be something a prospective bidder should evaluate.
    If the potential newbies grasp these things as tenuously as roly clearly has done then we're out of the frying pan and into the microwave
    It isnt the players who are bought and sold but their registrations.

Noting to stop Ricky resigning and talking a job in marketing @WSS but charlton would still hold his playing registration.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    Nug said:

J BLOCK said:

Missed It said:

SDAddick said:

J BLOCK said:

This.

Genuinely what else can they manage through debt - after Konsa we’ll have no young players who are going to make us a buck, fan base dwindling alarmingly, team made up for free’s and loan’s, where are you going to find the money to even come close to breaking even?

We need people with coin, not people who are happy with two of our best players leaving. Doesn’t bode well at all.
    I think you're making way too many assumptions. We have no idea what funding they have, what plans they might have from a footballing perspective. Whether you like McLeish or not he's first and foremost a football man and a highly experienced one at that and may be just advising. Muir had a role to play at Rangers doesn't mean that's his role here and lastly we don't even know it's them. Charlton needs a change and all this careful what you wish for is bollocks, I certainly didn't wish for the shit show we are now.
    Get that, but by allowing the sale of our best player Holmes and our best young player Konsa, it does give an indication, imo, as to their ambitions for the club
  • J BLOCK said:

Nug said:

J BLOCK said:

Missed It said:

SDAddick said:

J BLOCK said:

This.

I think you're making way too many assumptions. We have no idea what funding they have, what plans they might have from a footballing perspective. Whether you like McLeish or not he's first and foremost a football man and a highly experienced one at that and may be just advising. Muir had a role to play at Rangers doesn't mean that's his role here and lastly we don't even know it's them. Charlton needs a change and all this careful what you wish for is bollocks, I certainly didn't wish for the shit show we are now.
    Get that, but by allowing the sale of our best player Holmes and our best young player Konsa, it does give an indication, imo, as to their ambitions for the club
    And look who made that claim, KR. Unfortunately for him he's the only one from the club talking and that's wrong as I doubt he is fully in the picture. At the end of the day we will get whoever is prepared to do a deal with RD and we will expect and hope they do well by the club, same as we did for RD.
  • J BLOCK said:

Nug said:

J BLOCK said:

Missed It said:

SDAddick said:

J BLOCK said:

This.

Feel you are making too many assumptions. I could just mean that McLeish has looked at him the last two games, thought he was average and replaceable. And if that is what it would take for a deal to go through then so be it
    Add to that if we don’t go up this season (I don’t think we will even if we kept our best players), and we lose Holmes and Konsa etc, although it would be a spineless parting shot on behalf the twat, I’d welcome a completely fresh start in the summer.

I know we all want out this division and we’re only a point off the play offs, but I think we just need to get away from RD and only once he’s gone and we get a bit of time to regroup, only then will we be able to rebuild
  • Karl Robinson has been talking to fans again. Has suggested the club may be sold next week. Via Glynne’s mailing list - reliable longstanding poster.

I really want to believe this, but before I get my hopes up, can someone answer my nagging worry - how would Robinson know?
    Robinson will know what he’s been told in order to get the Holmes deal done and to manage his expectations re transfers and keep the show on the road. If he’s been misled (again) that is likely to become an internal problem very quickly.

Next Saturday could be a party or the biggest protest yet, but either way things are ramping up.
    Not for the first time, I like the cut of your jib, AB !

I'm wondering whether we should be encouraging the boycotters to buy their tickets for this one.....
  • New owners might not be able to stop RD selling players whether they like it or not.

They may realise that Konsa is going anyway and prefer Roland to take the stick for it.

And long term they may see some money from sell ons and appearances anyway.

That's even if what is said is true.

We just don't know.
  • 'Roland Duchatelet ready to sell Players'
  • Sponsored links:

• 18 Jan - we should build our hopes up. WIOTOS
  • New owners might not be able to stop RD selling players whether they like it or not.

They may realise that Konsa is going anyway and prefer Roland to take the stick for it.

We just don't know.

All of that makes sense, albeit as you say, we just don’t know.

However new owners would most certainly be able to stop player sales - trouble is we don’t have new owners and unless and until a purchase price is agreed (with conditions attached about selling assets) two sheds can do what he likes.

• edited January 2018
    It seems unusual that there’s no hint or info leaked out about the money or lack of it behind the Muir / McGleish consortium. Are they fronting a minted Arab or cobbling together pennies from the semi rich ?
  • bobmunro said:

New owners might not be able to stop RD selling players whether they like it or not.

We just don't know.

However new owners would most certainly be able to stop player sales - trouble is we don’t have new owners and unless and until a purchase price is agreed (with conditions attached about selling assets) two sheds can do what he likes.

Correct. Should have said potential new owners.
  • J BLOCK said:

Nug said:

J BLOCK said:

Missed It said:

SDAddick said:

J BLOCK said:

This.

Feel you are making too many assumptions. I could just mean that McLeish has looked at him the last two games, thought he was average and replaceable. And if that is what it would take for a deal to go through then so be it
    Maybe, but I just can’t see how any new owners with any sort of ambition are allowing the selling of Holmes and Konsa.
  • bobmunro said:

New owners might not be able to stop RD selling players whether they like it or not.

We just don't know.

I have my doubts about this Bob.

I sold my business back in February 2017 and the due diligence commenced in August 2016. During the 6 month period the DD took place we traded as normal however the closer the deal got to completion i.e. Dec/Jan/Feb the tighter the controls got on what we could buy & sell.

We provided a list of assets well before the deal went through and the money was paid and there were a lot of stipulations in place concerning those assets and the sale or disposal of any.

I would class the players at any football club as assets so the possible sale of Konsa for millions does not sit well with me.

The above makes me feel we have the following scenarios taking place:

1/ DD is at an early stage meaning we are a long way from the club being sold.

2/ The DD policy is weak and flimsy which reflects badly on the potential new owner. A poor DD process can lead to a lot of nasty surprises for a buyer.
  • I see it as a broken promise thing. A but like with JBG, Holmes was almost certainly presented with a set of promises around promotion push and player recruitment that then just didn’t materialise.

If he and Konsa were going to leave in the summer anyway, why wouldn’t you let the man go now if it got the deal over the line.

Then recruit carefully in the last few days of the transfer window (if possible) and then well over the summer.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!