Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited April 2017
    LuckyReds said:

sammy391 said:

I don't like this at all...especially the "plans to turn it into Australia's Football Club"...risk of changing names/the valley/kit etc?

I read that as making Charlton the (Premier league) team that everyone in Australia supports... bit like how Leicester are "Thailands team"!
    That makes more sense.

Still leaves some concern over their lack of capital and exactly what their feeder club plans are. These are two massive issues.

They're certainly ambitious though, perhaps overly so, and that's a contrast to the shower of shite we've currently got.

Id be interested to know what footballing chops they've got, and whether they'd give autonomy to the coaching and managerial staff.
    .Douchbag came in & said he wants us in the Premier, Quisling Murray said we wouldn't sell out best & young players until they had given good service to the club, Pinnochio said that she doesn't lie. If they are scrabbling around for 20mill to buy us they probably know less about us than the belgians wanted to :-(

• Night night chaps
    Totally underwhelmed
  • The spivs were ambitious, look where that got us!
  • Very, very worrying.

Sure Roland is an arsehole - but he is an arsehole with access to a LOT of cash - he just chooses not to spend it here.

These guys - who I have never heard of in 20 years of being involved in football down here - are nowhere near his league cash wise.

There are very few Aussies with the kind of cash needed by Charlton, the only one who MIGHT be a good fit is Frank,Lowy - the guy who owns Westfield - as he is a footballl lover but outside him there wouldn't be many others outside the Packers, Murdoch and Rinehearts.

Be very careful what you wish for people, this sounds very similar to when Tony Petty bought Swansea many years back - it was a disaster.

Maybe Fank is one of the backers.
  • Very, very worrying.

Sure Roland is an arsehole - but he is an arsehole with access to a LOT of cash - he just chooses not to spend it here.

These guys - who I have never heard of in 20 years of being involved in football down here - are nowhere near his league cash wise.

There are very few Aussies with the kind of cash needed by Charlton, the only one who MIGHT be a good fit is Frank,Lowy - the guy who owns Westfield - as he is a footballl lover but outside him there wouldn't be many others outside the Packers, Murdoch and Rinehearts.

Be very careful what you wish for people, this sounds very similar to when Tony Petty bought Swansea many years back - it was a disaster.

• Sponsored links:

• No likes, no promote either for breaking the biggest story of the year.

You didnt... @LoOkOuT provided the link on the rumour page... ;)
  • edited April 2017

On a plus note I bet the potential buyers think that if they buy the club they'll be immune from protests on their doorstep because they're so far away.

Ready to step up to the plate @OzAddick and become the Aussie One if need be?

• 'The mooted deal to purchase both the club and the New Eltham training facility is believed to be worth around £20million.'

Does that include The Valley?

My thoughts
  • Very, very worrying.

Very doubtful, Lowy is a billionaire but has never invested in an A-League club here as they all lose money hand over fist - why would he invest at Charlton and lose even more cash?

Even if he got Charlton back to the PL the money he could make would be incidental to what he makes elsewhere.

Plus, the guy is serious class, if he wanted to buy the club he'd just do it - there would be no smoke and mirrors involved.

• Let's hope Duchatelet sells and sells quickly.
  • Sponsored links:

• If it doesn't there is a question of ACV although in reverse the effect is the same
  • edited April 2017
    Do you think the £20m includes The Valley or is that not part of the deal?
  • FFS, I pray this is just a leak to try and flush out other buyers.

When I read "attempting to raise capital", feeder club and fronted by a management consultant all this spells out to me is out of the frying pan and into the fire.
  • edited April 2017
    Noticed all the playful "it's happening" gifs have stopped. Shows the disappointment and concern to me.
  • Sounds miles off being a done deal, although we obviously do not know how much investment backing they have managed to raise.

Sound to me like a cross between the Spivs and Roland - i.e. want to use the club to develop players for sale, AND don't actually have the money to keep it afloat themselves.

My gut is wrong all the time, but it doesn't like the sound of this one at all.
  • Can only imagine this was leaked by Roland in an effort to entice others. Can't see any benefit from the Aussies point of view for doing it.

One the face of it though I'm not overwhelmed. Feeder clubs generally don't do well and if they haven't even got funds to even buy the club at the moment then that's another minus. That said it isn't Roland and that's what we want.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!