Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• 1744, The first rules of golf are drawn up Edinburgh.
  • Any truth in the rumour that Admin get a pound for every view ?
  • clb74 said:
    I'd rather Ackworth be on Charlton life than elfs.
    Elfs talks more b@llocks than Ackworth.
    Night night.
  • Fumbluff said:
    I went out for a drink with George Cole tonight, he says he hates twitter and that everyone on it is a fibber...
    Explains Trump well.
  • Any truth in the rumour that Admin get a pound for every view ?
    Yes.  But it's the same pound each time.  They just swap it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    Staying on track.
    I hope I'm on the right lines here but I had very interesting long chats to two men I was a stranger too on trains. Both guys told be so many things about the behind the scenes activities at Cafc. I can spell bullshit from 10 paces but I believed both of these guys 100% ?

It was enjoyable traveling with Johnny Humphrey from London Bridge to Charlton and again from Charlton to London Bridge after a game last season where Charlton and Wolves the team Johnny spent his earlier career with was talked about as well as JH career as PE and football coach at a school.(the team from Surrey wasn't mentioned)

Also had a great chat with Paul Mortimer about the Rooney rule and all things Charlton from new Eltham to London and London to East Croydon.

Neither had a clue about how the SOC would pan out 

Ps. Please PM me for time of trains, stops and numbers.
  • Staying on track.
    I hope I'm on the right lines here but I had very interesting long chats to two men I was a stranger too on trains. Both guys told be so many things about the behind the scenes activities at Cafc. I can spell bullshit from 10 paces but I believed both of these guys 100% ?

It was enjoyable traveling with Johnny Humphrey from London Bridge to Charlton and again from Charlton to London Bridge after a game last season where Charlton and Wolves the team Johnny spent his earlier career with was talked about as well as JH career as PE and football coach at a school.(the team from Surrey wasn't mentioned)

Also had a great chat with Paul Mortimer about the Rooney rule and all things Charlton from new Eltham to London and London to East Croydon.

Best right back since I have been going, way back in '76.
  • Just been speaking to RD and Jim Davidson on the phone this morning - both confirmed takeover won't be completed today.

• JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    Not sure any 'ITK' posters should be taking the piss out of people posting rumours, even if it is JA. Those done deals and two tough weeks have hardly played out well have they? 
    Croydon you have to remember that I didn’t say two weeks, I said GM thought (or hoped?) it would be done in two weeks. That was 100% the case. Wasn’t my fault it didn’t happen. Not even GM’s probably. Pretty sad that a year later people are banging on about it as if they were somehow cheated. ‘Don’t take it all so serious’.
    #Snowflakes #;-)
    Appreciate that JS, and in fairness I've only picked on you and Airman there because  you happen to have had a memorable take over 'catchphrase'. I just don't think it's fair for anyone to dig out the likes of Doucher/JA etc when no one has actually been proved right on anything. 
  • cfgs said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    Not sure any 'ITK' posters should be taking the piss out of people posting rumours, even if it is JA. Those done deals and two tough weeks have hardly played out well have they? 
    Croydon you have to remember that I didn’t say two weeks, I said GM thought (or hoped?) it would be done in two weeks. That was 100% the case. Wasn’t my fault it didn’t happen. Not even GM’s probably. Pretty sad that a year later people are banging on about it as if they were somehow cheated. ‘Don’t take it all so serious’.
    #Snowflakes #;-)
    Appreciate that JS, and in fairness I've only picked on you and Airman there because  you happen to have had a memorable take over 'catchphrase'. I just don't think it's fair for anyone to dig out the likes of Doucher/JA etc when no one has actually been proved right on anything. 
    My wife is always right about everything, as for proof she told me.
    Sounds like my wife!
  • Richard J said:
    Mametz said:

I know it's been said an million times before, but what an absolute shambles. The job Bowyer has done... for the single season performance he's just had - well... it's got to be up there with anything Seed, Lawrence, Curbs, or Powell ever achieved... the best managers this club has ever know.

Winning promotion on a shoe string.
    Playing good quality football the likes of which we didn't really see even under Powell and only a few times under Curbs
    Turning supporter apathy in August into one of the largest, noisiest, most united turnouts ever by our supporters at Wembley 9 months later.

I mean, I honestly don't know what more he could have done. Yet here we are, at the 11th hour, and things are merely "beginning to move in the right direction". And it's not even as if it appears a difficult deal to do - Bowyer really, truly wants to stay FFS!

It beggars belief, it really does.

Don’t be silly, can’t put in the sand breathe as some of those. 

We didn’t pay a fee for anyone but let’s be honest we still had a very good squad for the third tier. Don’t get me wrong, he done an outstanding job but all we did was win promotion from the third tier. Of course we need to keep him but I think his achievements are slightly exaggerated, mostly because of the shit over the last few years. 
    Tell me a single, standalone season where any of those mangers achieved significantly more than Bowyer did last year in less favourable circumstances?

Who ever got promoted without a good squad? Powell and Curbs certainly had very good squads. And lets not forget who assembled that very good squad and who identified and attracted those players despite having no money for fees. Curbs and Powell were both backed in the transfer market during their most successful years to an extent Bowyer can only dream of.

Lennie Lawrence is the main comparison for me, getting us up despite the turmoil of the leaving the Valley. Ok, it was a division higher, but promotion is promotion.

What Bowyer has done this year is 100% comparable with some of the best managerial achievements to happen at Charlton. I don't think it's at all an exaggeration to say that.

Lawrence was backed in the transfer market.

In the close season before the start of the 85/86 season he was given the resources to bring in John Humprey, Steve Thomson, John Pearson, George Shipley, Mark Reid, and John Pender. Compared to previous close seasons this represented a huge outlay on new players. Later on in the season Jim Melrose was added to give a final push to promotion. Lawrence chose well and promotion was achieved. The sting in the tail was leaving the Valley for Selhurst Park. 
    Think Mike Bailey should be mentioned as well. 

In some ways 1980/81 is the most similar to last season in that he revived us from being relegated with record low points to a promotion campaign. The only player brought in was Terry Naylor from Spurs midway through the season. 
    Richard J said:
    Mametz said:

I know it's been said an million times before, but what an absolute shambles. The job Bowyer has done... for the single season performance he's just had - well... it's got to be up there with anything Seed, Lawrence, Curbs, or Powell ever achieved... the best managers this club has ever know.

Winning promotion on a shoe string.
    Playing good quality football the likes of which we didn't really see even under Powell and only a few times under Curbs
    Turning supporter apathy in August into one of the largest, noisiest, most united turnouts ever by our supporters at Wembley 9 months later.

I mean, I honestly don't know what more he could have done. Yet here we are, at the 11th hour, and things are merely "beginning to move in the right direction". And it's not even as if it appears a difficult deal to do - Bowyer really, truly wants to stay FFS!

It beggars belief, it really does.

Don’t be silly, can’t put in the sand breathe as some of those. 

We didn’t pay a fee for anyone but let’s be honest we still had a very good squad for the third tier. Don’t get me wrong, he done an outstanding job but all we did was win promotion from the third tier. Of course we need to keep him but I think his achievements are slightly exaggerated, mostly because of the shit over the last few years. 
    Tell me a single, standalone season where any of those mangers achieved significantly more than Bowyer did last year in less favourable circumstances?

Who ever got promoted without a good squad? Powell and Curbs certainly had very good squads. And lets not forget who assembled that very good squad and who identified and attracted those players despite having no money for fees. Curbs and Powell were both backed in the transfer market during their most successful years to an extent Bowyer can only dream of.

Lennie Lawrence is the main comparison for me, getting us up despite the turmoil of the leaving the Valley. Ok, it was a division higher, but promotion is promotion.

What Bowyer has done this year is 100% comparable with some of the best managerial achievements to happen at Charlton. I don't think it's at all an exaggeration to say that.

Lawrence was backed in the transfer market.

In the close season before the start of the 85/86 season he was given the resources to bring in John Humprey, Steve Thomson, John Pearson, George Shipley, Mark Reid, and John Pender. Compared to previous close seasons this represented a huge outlay on new players. Later on in the season Jim Melrose was added to give a final push to promotion. Lawrence chose well and promotion was achieved. The sting in the tail was leaving the Valley for Selhurst Park. 
    Think Mike Bailey should be mentioned as well. 

In some ways 1980/81 is the most similar to last season in that he revived us from being relegated with record low points to a promotion campaign. The only player brought in was Terry Naylor from Spurs midway through the season. 

• Sponsored links:

• Six million views

Six bloody million.

Greatest thread of all time
    0.83 likes per million views the opening post has. Better conversion rate than Simon Church I suppose.
  • quoteception
  • Six million views

Six bloody million.

6 million times people have left the thread feeling peed off as the Belgian Helmet still owns the club
  • I think he had the potential to play at the top level but sadly his game relied very much on pace and he completely lost it after his injury.
  • edited June 2019
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    #Snowflakes #;-)
    All I’ve done is repeat what I’ve been told from a known source, so how can I be proved right or wrong? GM could be, I suppose. Others who speculate without naming sources are fair game imho lol. 

The league table of who’s going to be proved right or who’s going to ‘break the news’ (or whatever it was) might be accurate rating me at 1%. GM isn’t going to tell me anything in advance of an official announcement, and if he does I won’t be allowed to pass it on anyway. (My rightful padded seat in the DB comes first of course).  
    I think the bloke on the train should be ranked a bit higher though. 
  • Staying on track.

Best right back since I have been going, way back in '76.
    Agree Elf's,
    By a strange quirk of fate, my fav LB was Rhoys Wiggins and we ended up sitting next to each other for the Donny home semi final. As we know injuries ruined his career and it's sad to hear him say that the 2 years he lost when at Palace at just 17 stopped him reaching his potential. I don't usually brown nose players but did say he played some great stuff for Cafc with his attacking wing back runs when fit. It's crazy to think that at just 30 he had to find a new career. Rhoys is studying sports nutrition and living in Bucks. Rarely goes to football now as I think it has too many sad memories at the moment, he also said when on loan at Birmingham he felt that the knee injury would be his lot as not only was his knee spent but unfortunately so was his spirit.
    Another good guy who has played for Cafc and he never wanted to leave(settled with his family in Shortlands) but having signed the contract  he then had more injuries, he realized that he would be moved on as football is a cut throat business.

Ps. Heard on CL that he went to the final as well.
    I met Humphrey the once when seeing us out in Sweden in '89, a cracking fella as well.
  • Why can't we be sold for £33m?,Palace are linked to a £220m takeover.
  • Six million views

Six bloody million.

6 million times people have left the thread feeling peed off as the Belgian Helmet still owns the club
    Not so much a thread as a general chat site.

I think the title should be changed to ‘Charlton no life’.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!