Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• I met a colleague of mine from our base in Qatar last week. Told her to have a word with some of her rich Arabic mates.

Well it was worth a try!

I asked this fella I know (journo type) to ask his Saudi mates if they would be interested wjen he popped into their Embassy. I haven't heard back from him yet.......
  • Croydon said:

Rudders22 said:

as long as it is not us.

Why? Ashley could be great for us. Newcastle fans are annoyed they keep finishing mid table in the premiership, boo hoo.
    I'm inclined to believe Kevin Keegan's take on Mike Ashley. Here's an article summarising it very briefly:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/25/kevin-keegan-no-im-not-going-to-take-a-compliment-from-mike-ashley

'Things came to a head in 2008 after discovering Ashley’s cronies had bought the Spaniard Xisco for £5.7m despite never having seen him play, and signed the Uruguayan Ignacio González on loan as a “favour” to two South American agents.'

'[Keegan said] “I don’t know of a club that has been run as badly or with such disregard for people.”' (Well OK, I think we do)

Mike Ashley sounds very much like a British version of RD.
    Don’t take any regard for anything keegan says if he believes he “doesn’t know of a club that’s been as badly run” as premier league Newcastle with Rafa Benitez as manager.

Idiot.
  • Don’t think Ashley has been to Newcastle home fixture for a year or two , that’s what some Geordie told me a few weeks back
  • edited October 2018

British one got to be Ashley surely

Worth picking up a copy of WSC this month. He's actually worse than Roland in terms of financial debt.
    I'm sure Ashley has his faults, and there's no doubt that with a bit of investment Newcastle would be doing much better than they currently are. But at least whenever Newcastle have been relegated, he's spent money to ensure they get straight back up.
    Taxi_Lad said:

I’d take Mike Ashley in a heartbeat!!

Mike Ashley at Newcastle:

Bought Newcastle for £134m and inherited £77m of debt. By 2017 that debt had doubled to £152m.

Sports Direct has never paid anything towards the naming rights or any of the advertising that swarms the stadium.

Sports Direct controls club's retail operations and the club has made a net loss of £5.5m from this arrangement. Commercial income has halved, matchday income is down by a third.

In the 11 years before Ashley, Newcastle had qualified for Europe nine times and the Champion's League group stages twice. Since Ashley has been owner, the club has been relegated twice and played in the Europa League once.

Newcastle's net spend since the summer of 2017 is £1m. Brighton's is £110m and Huddersfield's is £78m.

Ashley has purchased land behind the Gallowgate for a reduced £6m and planning permission for £70m proeprty development that blocks any expansion of St James' Park.

The club's accounts are overdue and it is also under investigation by HMRC for tax fraud.
  • shirty5 said:
    I wonder if they have also put a block on those at the Trust meeting reporting what was said?

• Sponsored links:

• Not wanting to preempt what the Trust guys said last night, but one of the clear messages that came from their verbal report was that the EFL are concerned with someone's finances and crookedness when considering whether they are fit and proper, not their capability. Roland has the dosh and no convictions for fraud, so doesn't fail fit and proper test, even though he is clearly not capable of running a football club.
  • shirty5 said:
    What, did they sign a NDA and agree not to publish photos :open_mouth:
  • Chizz said:

Taxi_Lad said:

I’d take Mike Ashley in a heartbeat!!

Of course you would. The fare to Newcastle would be a fortune.
    Hilarious...in stitches with that comment...:) :):)
  • rananegra said:

Not wanting to preempt what the Trust guys said last night, but one of the clear messages that came from their verbal report was that the EFL are concerned with someone's finances and crookedness when considering whether they are fit and proper, not their capability. Roland has the dosh and no convictions for fraud, so doesn't fail fit and proper test, even though he is clearly not capable of running a football club.

I think that this is well understood......but the wider point is that they SHOULD care. There are a number of useless owners that have (and continue to) 'run' clubs under their watch...and it is damaging to their 'brand' to just sit back and let it happen.
  • edited October 2018
    shirty5 said:
    Why not?
    What is the fear of saying 'Roland Duchatelet is the owner of Charlton, we met him due to fans requests, and we though 'no biggie'?'
  • I met a colleague of mine from our base in Qatar last week. Told her to have a word with some of her rich Arabic mates.

Well it was worth a try!

I asked this fella I know (journo type) to ask his Saudi mates if they would be interested wjen he popped into their Embassy. I haven't heard back from him yet.......
    better follow up on it. Chop chop!
  • edited October 2018
    From the Standard :

Harvey (Shaun, EFL) met Duchatelet in Brussels and yesterday met the Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Trust. In the meeting, Harvey shed some light on the hold-up to the proposed takeover of Charlton by an Australian consortium.

He revealed the documents the Australians have yet to submit to the EFL relate to the precise make-up of the consortium and the source of their finances. The EFL have questioned the consortium and are yet to receive a response.

Harvey said that during his meeting with Duchetelet, the Belgian said “miscommunications and protests were not assisting the sale of the club”. Duchetelet also said he “intends to honour the agreement made with the Australians”.

• Is it though? As said on other thread I would have thought this piece was fed out from the club and not the EFL. Don’t you think?
  • Sponsored links:

• Is it though? As said on other thread I would have thought this piece was fed out from the club and not the EFL. Don’t you think?
    As I replied there @AFKABartram it's interesting in just that the EFL has commented at all.

It does read as if the cloob as written it (bar the staff issue) but all the comments appear to be from Harvey according to the sub-Standard at least.

We await news from the Aussies who seem to have just been thrown under the bus by the EFL.

• From the Standard :

The EFL have questioned the consortium and are yet to receive a response.

That's not what they said in their previous statement prior to the meeting.
  • edited October 2018

Redhenry said:

CAFCsayer said:

Redhenry said:

I see the Crown Prince is being linked with a bid for Man U. Share price went higher in the States on the back of the speculation.

Didnt you link him with us?
    Yes
    From us to Man utd is some gear change!

Did they put an offer in for us or were they just surveying all UK clubs that were available?
    Put in more than one, the Aussies kept topping their offer
  • So, it's as I said all along.
    The Aussies don't have sufficient consortium members that are willing to pay the agreed price.
    (They possibly did have/thought they did have, when wearing the scarves).
    The Aussies also haven't provided proof of funds to the EFL.

Alternatively, if they have, there is no sense that the price is agreed, they have the consortium and money required, but for no apparent reason, have just not completed the process that they started with the EFL.
  • From the Standard :

Harvey (Shaun, EFL) met Duchatelet in Brussels and yesterday met the Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Trust. In the meeting, Harvey shed some light on the hold-up to the proposed takeover of Charlton by an Australian consortium.

He revealed the documents the Australians have yet to submit to the EFL relate to the precise make-up of the consortium and the source of their finances. The EFL have questioned the consortium and are yet to receive a response.

Harvey said that during his meeting with Duchetelet, the Belgian said “miscommunications and protests were not assisting the sale of the club”. Duchetelet also said he “intends to honour the agreement made with the Australians”.

Can't believe that they allowed RD to stay in Brussels and they went over to him. The club is in this country and that's where the meeting should have taken place, there's a clue in the EFL, just shows them to be weak.
    And miss out on a nice jolly to Brussels. I don’t think so.
  • From the Standard :

Can't believe that they allowed RD to stay in Brussels and they went over to him. The club is in this country and that's where the meeting should have taken place, there's a clue in the EFL, just shows them to be weak.
    Is Roland actually under any obligation to meet them at all?

I am not saying he shouldn't meet them, just does he "have to".
  • So, it's as I said all along.
    The Aussies don't have sufficient consortium members that are willing to pay the agreed price.
    (They possibly did have/thought they did have, when wearing the scarves).
    The Aussies also haven't provided proof of funds to the EFL.

Alternatively, if they have, there is no sense that the price is agreed, they have the consortium and money required, but for no apparent reason, have just not completed the process that they started with the EFL.

This.
  • edited October 2018
    cafcwill said:

From the Standard :

So he'll honour this
    but not honour paying the staff bonuses that were promised to them

reads to me as though we're stuck waiting for the Aussie's because they were the only ones stupid enough to offer the inflated price, which they now won't/can't stump up.

Only my take on it of course, but if that's true then they get no goodwill from me whatsoever
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!