Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Dunfermline is destroyed by fire.
  • Options
    Had some email correspondence during the tenure of Varney a few years ago, when I had queried why we had not taken advantage of the back of the West Stand roof for advertising (even a huge CAFC would of been seen for miles...)  One of his counter arguments was the fact that Greenwich Council were adverse to that option, and that we were at the absolute height limit of any development and/or subsequent signage for that part of the ground.
  • Options
    There's definitely still space behind the East Stand for some sort of expansion, but realistically rebuilding the Jimmy Seed would be the main area to expand the capacity. 

If we had a decent stay in the PL, then I could see this happening, but wouldn't want to go much beyond 30k
  • Options
    Lol at Prague calling NLA Billybigbollox
    Think it was said a bit tongue in cheek to be honest.
  • Options
     Those  gardens are now houses.

Knocking the west stand isn't really sensible.

Regardless basing future league gates on one off Wembley turnouts is just silly.

The home play off game and Wembley shows there is really a market if a prospective buyer wants to go for it.

The existing west stand is a wasted opportunity. It could be a lot bigger if demand  ever did outgrow capacity and there is plenty of room to take it further back to accommodate more hospitality and catering on both match days and non match days.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Blimey we were getting less than 9000 in the ground earlier in the season 12000 for the last 2 games of the season.
    We're now looking to do a ground to rival man utd 
    No. We are looking for an owner with ambition who wants a club with potential.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Blimey we were getting less than 9000 in the ground earlier in the season 12000 for the last 2 games of the season.
    Will be good to see the season ticket sales for next season whether we go up or are still in league 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Will be good to see the season ticket sales for next season whether we go up or are still in league 1
    Will be good to see the manager and the playing staff for next season first.
    I've pre booked goals down beckenham next season for the 5 a side
  • Options

Regardless basing future league gates on one off Wembley turnouts is just silly.

The home play off game and Wembley shows there is really a market if a prospective buyer wants to go for it.

The existing west stand is a wasted opportunity. It could be a lot bigger if demand  ever did outgrow capacity and there is plenty of room to take it further back to accommodate more hospitality and catering on both match days and non match days.
    Not allowed to go any higher......plus the car park is already considered way too small for the stand to be built further into it......don’t forget you’d need considerable extra pedestrian area at the rear of the stand too.
    F’ing Mike Glikstein sold that piece of land where the row of houses were built.....a big big mistake.
    It’s already bursting at the seams as it is!
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Will be good to see the manager and the playing staff for next season first.
    So much riding on this game. What will Roland do if we don't go up? I'm guessing Bowyer would leave and I think Roland would probably want to get shot of him as his stock is rising.
    Could we see Roland dipping into the bin again for another no mark Belgian Twonk manager?
  • Options
    The new Royal Greenwich Stadium by the Thames Barrier will solve all the problems.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Not allowed to go any higher......plus the car park is already considered way too small for the stand to be built further into it......don’t forget you’d need considerable extra pedestrian area at the rear of the stand too.
    F’ing Mike Glikstein sold that piece of land where the row of houses were built.....a big big mistake.
    No, he didn't - assuming you mean Valley Grove. It was sold under Roger Alwen's chairmanship. I have never been able to substantiate it, but I was told a long while ago that the club made about £60k on it to cover wages, etc. It was bad business by 1998 when the club could sell car park spaces in the Premier League at inflated prices and would have liked to create a new entrance to avoid coaches going round the bend in Floyd Road, but the question at the time would have been "which player would you prefer us to sell as an alternative?". The land was reserved from 1992 as matchday car parking for residents, but they didn't use it so the council agreed to its development.
  • Options

No, he didn't - assuming you mean Valley Grove. It was sold under Roger Alwen's chairmanship. I have never been able to substantiate it, but I was told a long while ago that the club made about £60k on it to cover wages, etc.
    Well I am sure Glikstein had something to do with that piece of land and selling it......or maybe trying to sell it and there being a huge shindig about it......can anyone clear that up.
    Bow to your better knowledge and thanks for correcting me.

• Options
    I did have meetings with Roger Alwen about a deal on Valley Grove. The finances were dire at the time. I had Mowlems the large contractor lined up who would pay money up front and a profit share for the land - more than £60k - but then Richard Collins took over and did it his way. Bad deal but that’s life. Still have the papers somewhere.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    People are seriously having a discussion about how to expand the ground? Bloody hell. 
    This ain’t a joke Uboat.....I am wound up like a watch spring and nervous as hell....anything and all things Charlton have consumed every waking hour since Friday night!
    I feel at home here....as daft as that sounds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lol at Prague calling NLA Billybigbollox
    Think it was said a bit tongue in cheek to be honest.
    Of course it was, but Steve has his own particular brand of "humour". NLA knows that I greatly admire how he built a successful business, and i dont believe he's bothered if I poke fun at his new status, any more than it bothers me if he meets me in the lounge Sunday and calls pots and kettles. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Redrobo said:
    Driving this morning listening to Jim White and he said that there was good news coming re sale of Charlton, acknowledged that he had been there before but news was real.
    He's going to end up like those lads who are always announcing the end of the world then look stupid. 
    I may be hoping against hope, but I actually believe something is happening this time.

However, I am going to forget all about it until Monday.
  • Options
    I did have meetings with Roger Alwen about a deal on Valley Grove. The finances were dire at the time. I had Mowlems the large contractor lined up who would pay money up front and a profit share for the land - more than £60k - but then Richard Collins took over and did it his way. Bad deal but that’s life. Still have the papers somewhere.
    Museum alert @Henry Irving
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Yep, museum item there @HardyAddick
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Redrobo said:
    Driving this morning listening to Jim White and he said that there was good news coming re sale of Charlton, acknowledged that he had been there before but news was real.
    He's going to end up like those lads who are always announcing the end of the world then look stupid. 

They will be right one day
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    Will check archives to see what’s left.  Have moved company and offices since. @Henry Irving
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Will check archives to see what’s left.  Have moved company and offices since. @Henry Irving
    Thanks @HardyAddick
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Uboat said:
    People are seriously having a discussion about how to expand the ground? Bloody hell. 
    It’s all about the potential of the club for a prospective buyer. A few pages back on this thread there was a comment that somebody walked away because charlton wasn’t big enough. We’ve now proved there is a potential fan base bigger than the grounds capacity so the next question for a prospective buyer is can the grounds capacity be increased.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!