Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• another thought; if the pen had been saved and stayed in play would the ref just insta-blow for half-time or wait for any other move in the attacking area to break down like they normally do with injury time?

Simple answer...any penalty that is awarded near half or full time and the taking of the kick is beyond that time limit, tbe whistle is blown to end the game/half immediately the result of the kick is determined.
  • VAR is superb ?

The problem is football is administered by people with limited intelligence who can't use this innovative technology correctly.
  • another thought; if the pen had been saved and stayed in play would the ref just insta-blow for half-time or wait for any other move in the attacking area to break down like they normally do with injury time?

There are plenty of examples in a match where a normal save gets made with the whistle going straight after or where a team are on the attack, are about to score and then have the goal ruled out because of the whistle being blown

The latter happened in the FA Cup 1st Round last season with Whitehawk (?)

Don't see the issue if the Ref instantly blew for Half-Time
  • I'm still adamant that it wasn't a penalty and a red card for Solly against Millwall a couple of seasons back. Can we get VAR to review it and get all the players back out there and reinstate us in Championship?
  • Everyone acting like it's a farce on twitter. Don't get the drama if it's the right decision.

It is a farce...what is the timescale for reviewing...
    Until the ref leaves the pitch apparently, which he hadn't. It didn't take much for the players to be told something was being reviewed quickly.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43791511

The BBC has coverage of this incident. I guess in future referees will have to give a signal to tell players to stay on the pitch if something is being checked by VAR

I don't know how long after the handball incident the half time whistle was originally blown. If the penalty had been saved, I assume the referee would have continued play for the same length of time, imagine the reaction if the defending team had then gone down the other end and scored!
  • VAR is a cracking idea, however the fools that run football (the richest and greatest sport in the world) as ever, have no clue how to implement it.
  • I wasn't expecting VAR to be great straight away. Look at DRS in cricket, or other uses of Hawkeye (vel sim) in tennis/rugby et al.

However, it's been pretty shambolic. There's no clear delineation as to what is a "game-changing" decision (and there definitely can be), nor is the process made public to fans within and indeed outside the stadium, meaning the whole thing is shrouded in confusion.

Teething problems are to be expected, but not on this level, surely?
  • Why bother having a.ref on the pitch. Just have him sat in the stand in front of a TV screen with a mic, make his decision, he can review every one then, game can go on till midnight, but, every decision would be right , well almost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why bother having a.ref on the pitch. Just have him sat in the stand in front of a TV screen with a mic, make his decision, he can review every one then, game can go on till midnight, but, every decision would be right , well almost.

Players would have no one to surround leading Chelsea, Man U and Man City to relegation
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43800580
    "I like the old football, with more emotions, without the referee on the video stopping the emotions."
    This quote is spot on. Human error from a referee is part of the game, if it gets to the point where you can't celebrate a goal properly because you think VAR might overturn it, that's killing the best emotion of seeing a goal being scored at live football game. Gonna to be a farce at the world cup
  • PeterGage said:

another thought; if the pen had been saved and stayed in play would the ref just insta-blow for half-time or wait for any other move in the attacking area to break down like they normally do with injury time?

Simple answer...any penalty that is awarded near half or full time and the taking of the kick is beyond that time limit, tbe whistle is blown to end the game/half immediately the result of the kick is determined.
    I was being a little facetious - I know how it works but my point was if the whistle had already been blown for half time, how much time should the ref allow to correct the penalty decision? Immediately after the ball is kicked? 5 seconds later? 10? It's opening a can of worms bringing players back on the pitch after the whistle has been blown - I don't care if the ref missed somebody picking up the ball and walking it into the net - when the whistle goes that should be it.
    "I like the old football, with more emotions, without the referee on the video stopping the emotions."
    This quote is spot on. Human error from a referee is part of the game, if it gets to the point where you can't celebrate a goal properly because you think VAR might overturn it, that's killing the best emotion of seeing a goal being scored at live football game. Gonna to be a farce at the world cup

I doubt that VAR will be used that much as refs are usually spot on. It will be fine tuned and most people will get used to it just like most things that try to improve the game. And if not it will go the way of the golden goal.

We want EVERY decision right .... Don't we.
  • What happens when the VAR system gets the majority of its decisions wrong, will there be a back up system to over rule it.
  • What happens when the VAR system gets the majority of its decisions wrong, will there be a back up system to over rule it.

Phone a friend?
  • 1StevieG said:

What happens when the VAR system gets the majority of its decisions wrong, will there be a back up system to over rule it.

Phone a friend?
    What happens when he doesn't know the answer
  • 1StevieG said:

What happens when the VAR system gets the majority of its decisions wrong, will there be a back up system to over rule it.

Phone a friend?
    Use VAF (video assistant friend).
  • Sponsored links:

• 1StevieG said:

Phone a friend?
    And when they don't know.
  • 1StevieG said:

Phone a friend?
    Ask you because you seem to know it all.
  • 1StevieG said:

Phone a friend?
    Ask you because you seem to know it all.
    No you do.
  • 1StevieG said:

Phone a friend?
    Kevin Friend has already trademarked it and is just laying in wait...
  • How much has to go wrong before we can get to the "ask the audience" stage?

That'll get bums on seats.
  • edited May 2018
    https://www.google.co.nz/amp/www.goal.com/en-au/amp/news/melbourne-victory-aleague-newcastle-jets-grand-final/kgor67tldfq11f7bi0kan2jgi

Clearly offside. But no VAR check.
    Turned out to be the winner in the A-League Grand Final between Newcastle Jets and Melbourne Victory.
  • Danepak said:

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/www.goal.com/en-au/amp/news/melbourne-victory-aleague-newcastle-jets-grand-final/kgor67tldfq11f7bi0kan2jgi

Turned out to be the winner in the A-League Grand Final between Newcastle Jets and Melbourne Victory.

Don't worry it will sort out the mistakes and every decision will be right.
  • Danepak said:

Wait so now you're upset that they didn't use the tech? I thought that would be music to your ears.
  • Danepak said:

Wait so now you're upset that they didn't use the tech? I thought that would be music to your ears.
    No they should burn the whole bloody lot its a shambles as you know but your too stubborn to admit it.
  • Danepak said:

They did use VAR, just didn’t overturn the goal.