Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Yeah had VAR been used then BWPs goal against Palace would have stood and they wouldnt have gotten promotion through the Play-Offs that year!!!
  • edited March 2018
    Discussion on VAR heavily featured in last nights Premier League show, worth the 12/13 minutes watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09wzvnp/motd-the-premier-league-show-22032018
  • Ronaldo scored a last minute winner against Egypt tonight. Was ruled out for offside.

VAR checked. No offside, goal stands. Portugal win as they should.

Thank god it's coming to the World Cup.

As the commentator said tonight, its coming to the world cup so get extra coke for your barbecues.
  • Frustrating but correct decision, it was a penalty.
  • Yes, it was correct so nothing to complain about. I think it could benefit England during the World Cup as we seem to fall foul to more errors than ones that go our way in the big games.
  • Ronaldo scored a last minute winner against Egypt tonight. Was ruled out for offside.

VAR checked. No offside, goal stands. Portugal win as they should.

Thank god it's coming to the World Cup.

As the commentator said tonight, its coming to the world cup so get extra coke for your barbecues.
    Bit of snow at a barbecue.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd rather have VAR than that fucking band. They just kill the atmosphere.
  • Ironic that after so many bad decisions costing England over the years, the first time VAR is used it goes against us. Why wasn't it used for the two possible penalty calls (one each) earlier in the game?
  • Football died a little bit when diving was introduced to the English game in the '90s
  • edited March 2018
    The real shock was seeing an England player I didn't recognise, who it turns out is called Tarkowski. I must be very out of touch as I've never heard of him.
  • Football died a little bit when diving was introduced to the English game in the '90s

Colin Powell used to dive, and Rodney Marsh.
  • I’m still not convinced it was even a pen let alone this VAR bollocks even works. The Italian player was already going down, he moved his foot into the path of Tarkowski who couldn’t change his stride pattern and stood on his foot. What if he stood on his hand? What if a player jumps for a header, and lands on someone’s foot?

That wasn’t clear and obvious, it once again come down to opinion.

I can’t wait for a Bolivian first division referee to get hold of this technology on the worlds biggest stage. What could possibly go wrong!!!!

This system should be tried and tested for a few years before it’s allowed at the World Cup, it’s gotta nightmare written all over it.

A lot of people think they know better than the referee who knows the laws inside and out. We can have opinions but the only one that counts is the referees. Just seeing the penalty decision now and I would be cheesed off if that wasn’t given to us.
  • I’m still not convinced it was even a pen let alone this VAR bollocks even works. The Italian player was already going down, he moved his foot into the path of Tarkowski who couldn’t change his stride pattern and stood on his foot. What if he stood on his hand? What if a player jumps for a header, and lands on someone’s foot?

I can’t wait for a Bolivian first division referee to get hold of this technology on the worlds biggest stage. What could possibly go wrong!!!!

This system should be tried and tested for a few years before it’s allowed at the World Cup, it’s gotta nightmare written all over it.

I kind of agree, i am all for VAR but this decision imo was not clear cut. Could have seen it given or not so for that reason was questionable giving the penalty. Yes i can see why it was given, but again do not feel it was even 90% defo a pena so should have been ruled out.
  • He was throwing himself to the ground long before the contact, not a pen in my eyes
  • Ironic that after so many bad decisions costing England over the years, the first time VAR is used it goes against us. Why wasn't it used for the two possible penalty calls (one each) earlier in the game?

VAR was used to win us a penalty against France when we last played them @ Wembley, the incident also got Varane sent off
  • Sponsored links:

VAR was used to win us a penalty against France when we last played them @ Wembley, the incident also got Varane sent off
    Ah was it - my mistake. Cheers FA.
  • "If, after the referee has given the signal for a PK to be taken, and before the ball is in play, a colleague of the player taking the kick encroaches into the penalty-area or within ten yards of the penalty-mark, the referee shall, nevertheless, allow the kick to proceed. If a goal is scored, it shall be disallowed, and the kick retaken. "

Does the VAR look at this rule? Penalty looked dodgy me.
  • The footage the referee was given was hardly the best.
    All shots were close ups, none of them panned out far enough to show the momentum of play and how the Italian lad was on his way down before the foot made contact.
    Could of made a big difference in the referees decision. ITV managed to show a far few different angles before the referee even made his way over to the VAR screen so why was he not afforded the same angles as viewers at home?

Apart from that, i'll take a draw. Positive week for England.
  • Howells said:

The footage the referee was given was hardly the best.
    All shots were close ups, none of them panned out far enough to show the momentum of play and how the Italian lad was on his way down before the foot made contact.
    Could of made a big difference in the referees decision. ITV managed to show a far few different angles before the referee even made his way over to the VAR screen so why was he not afforded the same angles as viewers at home?

Dont the Referee's get to review better footage that we dont see from home?
  • Howells said:

The footage the referee was given was hardly the best.

Dont the Referee's get to review better footage that we dont see from home?
    No.
    Last night it showed what he saw on his VAR screen and it wasn't the same as ITV coverage.
  • List of Officials who'll potentially be refereeing at the World Cup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_officials

How can VAR be used by Referees from Gambia and French Polynesia, or do their Leagues already use it themselves? - Wont be surprised if it takes them a few minutes to work out what the TV Screen does in the first place!!
  • It was a clear penalty that may not have been given without VAR , also refs may have dissalowedt englands goal without it as it may been deemed the ball was not stationary. Both decisions were spot on and made fairly promptly, showed nothing to suggest its nor beneficial in my eyes
  • CH4RLTON said:

It was a clear penalty that may not have been given without VAR , also refs may have dissalowedt englands goal without it as it may been deemed the ball was not stationary. Both decisions were spot on and made fairly promptly, showed nothing to suggest its nor beneficial in my eyes

With our goal I thought it was a case of the Referee just double checking to see if the ball had rolled and was initially happy with the goal being awarded?

Completely agree. Can't see how anyone can argue with it. VAR is most definitely inconsistent enough not to be used for a major tournament at this stage.